Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Drivers side oil leak (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/drivers-side-oil-leak-329555/)

Mikes3500 01-02-2018 06:05 PM

Drivers side oil leak

i have a oil leak on drivers side of engine right near where the stock fuel filter housing was before I removed i did new air dog lift pump and removed stock fuel filter housing. There is a plate with a wiring plug in it and next to that a sensor of some kind in the side of the block. Any ideas what is leaking

Mikes3500 01-02-2018 06:11 PM

Not seeing any oil leak above or at the valve cover and oil level isn’t changed but it is a new leak and it’s dripping off oil pan but looks like it’s around the upper left side of where the stock fuel filter housing was. Can it leak oil when I removed the fuel filter housing, nothing coming out the bolt holes from it.

Mikes3500 01-02-2018 08:19 PM

Watched a video on utube and it said if you remove the stock fuel filter bracket you will have a oil leak so you must keep the bracket on. I no longer have it so what do I do? Is there a delete kit for this? Or do I have to make something or buy another bracket?

AlpineRAM 01-02-2018 09:47 PM

I think that you should be able to use a flat piece of iron, 2 bolts and some permatex.

Mikes3500 01-02-2018 10:27 PM

That’s kind of what I was thinking but I’m can’t actually see where it would be coming out at that location. I used one of the bolt locations to resecure the hanger for the wiring harness that was bolted to the bracket. It might be leaking behind that bolt. If not that then it’s got to be the tappet cover gasket which is not as simple to replace. I’ve been driving it for a few weeks without any leaks then all of a sudden I got oil spots under my truck. When it’s running I can’t see anything dripping just wet and all the posts I’ve seen on tappet gasket it really poors oil out and I’m not seen no that. Wish I would have known to replace tappet gasket when I replaced the injector pump. I did replace the cam position sensor.

AlpineRAM 01-03-2018 05:15 AM

You could wash the engine and use baby powder to make the source of the oil visible.

The problem is that the fan blows the oil around a good bit and it settles somewhere and often it drips down from far away from it's exit point.

Mikes3500 01-03-2018 10:31 AM

I don’t see oil forward of that point but do you know if the stock fuel filter housing bracket is removed that it will create a oil leak as I’ve heard on utube video? I’m going to wash down the area with carb or engine cleaner and try the baby powder.

Mikes3500 01-03-2018 05:43 PM

So I discovered that behind the stock bracket is a gasket and a opening into the block where oil will leak from if you don’t put the bracket back on. I cut out a piece of metal plate and sealed with gasket seal. Now for the bad news that wasn’t the leak,my cam/tappet gasket on side of block is leaking. $75 gasket at dodge. All day job on my part. tomorrow it’s remove injector pump to get to cam/tappet gasket. Another $75 for the vacuum pump and power steering gaskets but think I’ll do it now so I don’t have to remove injector pump again when they start leaking too.

AlpineRAM 01-04-2018 12:59 AM

If you do the vacuum pump seal you can get a rebuild kit for the pump.
(While you are at it)

Do you by chance have a lot of blowby / or a restricted engine ventilation?

Mikes3500 01-04-2018 10:42 AM

I don’t know on the blow by but will check it and the ccv. Heard that could cause it. Also watched several utube videos with this leak and no excessive blow by just a split gasket. Found the gasket by Felpro for $20 at auto zone. Do I need to use any gasket sealant on it when I install it? I will clean the surface good.