24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

discrepancies between service manual and truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discrepancies between service manual and truck

Job: front crankshaft oil seal replacement.
Manual: pry out old seal use special tool to seat new seal.
Actual: dampener completely different from what is described and pictured in service manual. which would make the installation tool (if i had bought it) useless
so the damper in the service manual (purchases from Geno's) does not even come close to the damper on the truck. i was able to install the new seal but had to fabricate the tool needed out of what was available. as per the MOPAR specs in book i should have been able to do it with a piece of pipe, a block of wood, washers and said dampener bolt. nay nay nay. this does raise the question as to torque specs. book says 180 ft# but that is for a single center bolt not the 4 bolts present on the existing vehicle.
I did manage to install new seal. may have damaged it with first attempt we will see (at least i know what to do now). it leaks it leaks i guess.
My main question is to those who have bought the specs form Genoe's and other sources is this discrepancy consistent and what are the torque specs for the 4 bolt dampener.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mountain troll
Job: front crankshaft oil seal replacement.
Manual: pry out old seal use special tool to seat new seal.
Actual: dampener completely different from what is described and pictured in service manual. which would make the installation tool (if i had bought it) useless
so the damper in the service manual (purchases from Geno's) does not even come close to the damper on the truck. i was able to install the new seal but had to fabricate the tool needed out of what was available. as per the MOPAR specs in book i should have been able to do it with a piece of pipe, a block of wood, washers and said dampener bolt. nay nay nay. this does raise the question as to torque specs. book says 180 ft# but that is for a single center bolt not the 4 bolts present on the existing vehicle.
I did manage to install new seal. may have damaged it with first attempt we will see (at least i know what to do now). it leaks it leaks i guess.
My main question is to those who have bought the specs form Genoe's and other sources is this discrepancy consistent and what are the torque specs for the 4 bolt dampener.
I think you`re looking at the 5.9 Gas engine part of the manual. look in the 5.9 DIESEL section to get the right info and specs.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the service manuals for my 99 and yes there is stuff in there that shows wrong info that is from older truck manuals
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My 01 service manual is full of overlay pages, maybe tours never got the updates...