Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   discrepancies between service manual and truck (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/discrepancies-between-service-manual-truck-330300/)

mountain troll 05-16-2018 11:37 PM

discrepancies between service manual and truck

Job: front crankshaft oil seal replacement.
Manual: pry out old seal use special tool to seat new seal.
Actual: dampener completely different from what is described and pictured in service manual. which would make the installation tool (if i had bought it) useless
so the damper in the service manual (purchases from Geno's) does not even come close to the damper on the truck. i was able to install the new seal but had to fabricate the tool needed out of what was available. as per the MOPAR specs in book i should have been able to do it with a piece of pipe, a block of wood, washers and said dampener bolt. nay nay nay. this does raise the question as to torque specs. book says 180 ft# but that is for a single center bolt not the 4 bolts present on the existing vehicle.
I did manage to install new seal. may have damaged it with first attempt we will see (at least i know what to do now). it leaks it leaks i guess.
My main question is to those who have bought the specs form Genoe's and other sources is this discrepancy consistent and what are the torque specs for the 4 bolt dampener.

jtamulonis 05-17-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mountain troll (Post 3348467)
Job: front crankshaft oil seal replacement.
Manual: pry out old seal use special tool to seat new seal.
Actual: dampener completely different from what is described and pictured in service manual. which would make the installation tool (if i had bought it) useless
so the damper in the service manual (purchases from Geno's) does not even come close to the damper on the truck. i was able to install the new seal but had to fabricate the tool needed out of what was available. as per the MOPAR specs in book i should have been able to do it with a piece of pipe, a block of wood, washers and said dampener bolt. nay nay nay. this does raise the question as to torque specs. book says 180 ft# but that is for a single center bolt not the 4 bolts present on the existing vehicle.
I did manage to install new seal. may have damaged it with first attempt we will see (at least i know what to do now). it leaks it leaks i guess.
My main question is to those who have bought the specs form Genoe's and other sources is this discrepancy consistent and what are the torque specs for the 4 bolt dampener.

I think you`re looking at the 5.9 Gas engine part of the manual. look in the 5.9 DIESEL section to get the right info and specs.

GSP7 05-18-2018 09:12 AM

I have the service manuals for my 99 and yes there is stuff in there that shows wrong info that is from older truck manuals

SIXSLUG 05-29-2018 02:03 PM

My 01 service manual is full of overlay pages, maybe tours never got the updates...