24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins 24v Fuel pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins 24v Fuel pressure question

I have been reading a lot on this pressure problem with the lift pump. I have a 2002 24v cummins ram 2500 that was manufactured in june of 2002. How can i tell if i have this forsaken lift pump on my truck?

I have been looking at the pressure gage kits and the manafold that holds the sending unit doesn't look like it will fit my truck.. My fuel filter canister has a plastic cover over it and a bleeder to the front. (see photo)

This is the first Diesel truck i have personally owned and i hate having to pay for others to work on my stuff when i can do it my self. Gas stuff, no problem, diesel -will be fun learning.

Thanks for your help!!
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Cummins 24v Fuel pressure question-dscn8176.jpg   Cummins 24v Fuel pressure question-dscn8177.jpg   Cummins 24v Fuel pressure question-dscn8181.jpg  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MWA3C
I have been reading a lot on this pressure problem with the lift pump. I have a 2002 24v cummins ram 2500 that was manufactured in june of 2002. How can i tell if i have this forsaken lift pump on my truck?

I have been looking at the pressure gage kits and the manafold that holds the sending unit doesn't look like it will fit my truck.. My fuel filter canister has a plastic cover over it and a bleeder to the front. (see photo)

This is the first Diesel truck i have personally owned and i hate having to pay for others to work on my stuff when i can do it my self. Gas stuff, no problem, diesel -will be fun learning.

Thanks for your help!!
Mark

the lift pump is to the right of your fuel filter housing in this pichttps://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9191&d=1165696778 look and you will see a rusty flat metal plate with little nuts on top. it sits about 5-6" lower than the f/f housing.
also dont use a sending unit they are junk, people on here will chime in and tell you why.

heres a better pic http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...d=5990&width=4 # 15 is the lift pump
thanks to Blackdiesel for the photo.

hope this helps, brian
Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM

now, i haven't purtchaced a pressure guage yet.. what does the pickup mount to? (I know it goes on the fuel line somewhere after the lift pump, but i don't see a whole lot of room to work..) will i have to break the line from the lift to the filter housing? (don't worry, i will go with a full mechanical gauage)

And how to i prime this after removal? I am used to old johndeer and ford tractors with a manual primer pump..

Diesel fan, how did you get your idle psi to 25? and thanks for the diagram!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:15 PM

now, i haven't purtchaced a pressure guage yet.. what does the pickup mount to? (I know it goes on the fuel line somewhere after the lift pump, but i don't see a whole lot of room to work..) will i have to break the line from the lift to the filter housing? (don't worry, i will go with a full mechanical gauage)

And how to i prime this after removal? I am used to old johndeer and ford tractors with a manual primer pump..

Diesel fan, how did you get your idle psi to 25? and thanks for the diagram!
the line that goes from the fuel filter housing to the VP44(injection pump) is where you want to tap into. mine is where the line goes into the vp44 with this http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...on-Hose/Detail.

most people prime by breaking one of the injector lines loose, and cranking till you see fuel. i never have to do this though, it will prime its self by cycling the key a couple of times and letting the lift pump do the work for you.

i have a 2nd fuel pump on the frame supplying fuel from the tank to the LP, is a holley blue( cheap insurance).

check out Vulcan's stuff, Erik is a super nice guy and will explain everything to you.
feel free to ask if you have any more ?'s

brian
Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 PM

#21 on the diagram is what im talking about, thats the line going into the vp44 from the filter.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM

has anyone ever tried to just use the stock "fuel pressure test connection" to perminantly mount a guage to? I don't see why that wouldn't work rather than tapping the line..
Old 12-09-2006, 04:32 PM

has anyone ever tried to just use the stock "fuel pressure test connection" to perminantly mount a guage to? I don't see why that wouldn't work rather than tapping the line..
#21 is the fuel pressure test port, thats the one im telling you about and that hose from vulcan replaces the small stock one.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:47 PM

got ya. Thanks for the link to Vulcan! They have some good items!