24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Exhaust Manifold

While installing RV 275's today, I noticed the top of the exhaust manifold was cracked. If it happened after I started bombing I wouldn't have been so surprised, but the only other thing I've done is put in a K&N air filter. I ocasionally pull some pretty heavy loads, but only a few miles and not up any really long grades. Besides, a stock system shouldn't ever get it that hot anyway should it? That's assuming heat did it. I would think a manufacturing flaw would have shown up before now (95,000 miles).

Anyway, the exhaust manifold is listed in my owner's manual under 5yr/100,000 mile warranty, so I called the dealer. I asked them if it was covered and they said they'd have to look at it. I asked if they had a manifold in stock so I would only have to make one trip and they said no. I guess I can go twice as long as it's all paid for. I'll find out Monday.

Anyone else have a manifold to crack? Does anyone have advice on dealing with the Dealer and what my warranty rights are? I'll switch out the K&N before I go and they won't be able to detect the RV 275's will they?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Banned

Re:Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Unless they want to rip your valve cover off and pull the injectors, they won't know about them. I'd take the K&N out though. Although at 95,000 miles, warranty shouldn't really be a big concern. If they say warranty doesn't cover it, call BS. Show them in the owners manual that it does.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:19 PM

If you want a better manifold even if you have to pay for it,
Get the ATS 3 piece Exhaust manifold. I drive truck interstate and the 3 piece is the type that is on the N-14 cummins so that is what I have on my truck.....
Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad in Kansas had 1 heck of a time finding one!!!!!!!! Factory=no
Dealers=no
Cummins= no, but then found 1 that had been returned in KC so he got that one.
Hope you can get 1.
His was cracked really bad, to the point it covered the whole engine with soot!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 PM

tishmael,
From a certain point in '98 until a certain point in '00 there is an admitted problem with exhaust manifold retention straps. My manifold cracked at about 60k. Dealer had manifold in stock and replaced it and put on the new retention straps. Your engine probably doesn't have these manifold bolt retention straps installed. My 98.5 didn't. Check out this TSB. In case the link doesn't work it is TSB 09-002-01

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-002-01.htm
Old 08-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Banned

The straps are there to keep the bolts from coming loose.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:20 AM

I don't have guages yet. I didn't think the the egt's could get that high with a stock engine. It looks like my next addition had better be guages.

What should I do about egt's? I read you should keep your rpms over 2000, and I'll admit I've let it slip below a few times, but not constantly. I know some will say a straight pipe and better air intake, but this engine isn't bombed much.

I looked at my manual again and the manifold is listed twice, once under the emissions warranty and once under the cummins warranty. So, it's definately covered. It's just a matter of how stubborn the dealer wants to be.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:20 PM

It is my understanding that the straps are there to keep the bolts from coming out, because the bolts are intentionally torqued very low, to allow the manifold to move a bit on the face of the head as it expands and contracts.

Zino
Old 08-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Banned

1998.5 isb -cracked. Crap happens.wish it was the worst of my problems.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:07 PM

Like thumper said "crap" happens..In the case of the stock manifold, it will crack sooner or later. It's the constant heating and cooling, that gets them, or manifold "swrink". The ATS 3-pc manifold, is about twice as thick, is designed to expand & swrink to prevent cracking, and I install them all the time for friends. If I remmember right, the ATS manifold is about the same price as a factory replacement. I'm sure I'll get challenged here, but I have never heard of anyone cracking an ATS 3pc. manifold. The other advantage of the ATS, is it is much stronger, and supports the weight of larger turbos. I've seen the new ATS manifolds for the 03's, and if you laid them side by side, you wouldnot believe the difference in how ATS has opened up the exhaust ports compared to stock, they look like mini headers.

Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 01:19 PM

Gary...pre 2003 exhaust manifolds ( factory ) pretty much designed "ok". The ATS pre 2003 manifolds just straighten out the bends, and reiforced the product no real honing or porting advantage over stock. However, the stock 2003 because of it's design, almost blocks off the #6 exhaust port and same with the #2 where everthing "y's". I don't understand what Cummins was thinking? You don't know until you take off an 2003 and see inside. The ATS improvements, basically puts the stock 2003 to where the 2002 and prior are! You probably didn't see the ATS proto-type 2003 & the stock one sitting on the floor at May Madness in the dyno room. Larwence of Diesel Dynamics "bagged it from Steve of ATS" so fast, maybe 30 seconds, and installed it on his new 2003 truck the sameday..

Steve

Quick Reply: Cracked Exhaust Manifold