24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cost

Old 07-17-2003, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost

Im aware this is well documented, just not finding exactly what i need haha. on the 2 gen 24 v, just wondering what the oil change intervll is and the overhaul. just wondering to shut some people up, trying ot tell me it cost them 55 cents a mile to drive the thing. there excuse is the cost of the engine. SO im gonna show them the math. IF anyone knows. whats the overhaul of the Gas v8s . 360 if ya know... thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 05:47 PM

Re:Cost

Exactly, as we were driving i ball parked in my head of 7 cents, basically just doing mileage cause the oil changes are hardly noticable haha. Her big excuse was that her engine cost so much more which makes it cost her more to drive it im like you have no point.........thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 AM

Evidently the lady has no idea how to figure the cost/mile of her vehicles. Get her real confused. Tell her she needs to figure the original cost of the whole vehicle, the cost of insurance for the veh., the cost of tires and how often they must be replaced, the cost and frequency of service (don't forget replacing timing belt, spark plugs - on the gasser), the price of fuel and the mpg and the longevity of the engine and drive train. (I'm expecting a minimum of 400k for my CTD vs the 360 cid gasser prolly 150k).<br><br>Then watch her face when you tell her you deduct 75% from the CTD just for the sheer pleasure of driving it. ;D ;D ;D <br><br>Stan
Old 07-19-2003, 12:15 PM

hahaha no kidding, yeah my gassers up to 176,300 some wanna know the great part? No major tune ups or replacement (beside the crap trans) Im not saying it couldnt use one. It was ok till the gasket on my water pump went. then the mech forgot to tighten the hoses and i think i warped some ........ oh well. But neway after i went through and showed her all the goody goody stuff( mileage and oil tires what not) she coudlnt really argue. Came back my engine cost a lot more. My arguement, which is paid back in mileage, oil changes, and ease in pulling( pleasure haha) and the overall lack of major problems. Its a 99 2500 with 109720, and the lift pump, inject pump.... all good. I am suprised. never changed the fuel filter, And sicne i dont drive it (which is also the reason im not sure how or where) she doesnt empty the water seperater either. So wwere lucky. by the way anyone that wants ott ell me how to empty the wtaer seperater feel free haha<br>
Old 07-20-2003, 09:09 PM

If it's a daily driver with light towing the gasser is going to last as long as the diesel. If you are towing heavy then that's a different deal. You buy the diesel because it's cool...
Old 07-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Banned

just got a quote from c.n.w. <br>1800.00 for new pistons and most everthing to do a overhaul.<br> that dose not count a vale job or labor on the rebuild but thats not to bad a price for parts.<br> just my opinion
Old 07-26-2003, 06:33 PM

Oh its &quot;lasting&quot; the most towing either truck do is a 4 place snowmoible, they do more hauling. Tourism company that we own uses them to deliver the publication. problem is the mother ( owner) never listens to me when she buys new trucks. First one i had no input but was a 1500 2wd... that was good but got stuck a lot and when she weighed in she weighed 8200 lbs. way over &quot;1/2 ton&quot; next one is the gasser in question a 360 1/2 ton 4x4 she got this when i was gone just spure of the moment i guess. thought that the 4x4 made it carry more and the salesman used it against her. but now it was around 8600. Finally she realized the *** end would hit the ground if it could so she got a 3/4 diesel. doesnt squat as bad and gets great mileage. But im suprised the gasser is still going. those are tough miles on it. every couple hundred miles i get a check light to go and the dealer cant even get a code outa it so i have no clue what that is. just comes on when im sitting there or driving so who knows. Gets aroun 9 mpg haha. Oh well.