24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

close to running out of oil ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
close to running out of oil ??????????

I don't know if I'm in a jam here so I thought I'd run this past you guys and see what you think.<br><br>Changed the oil in the truck last saturday. Of course used the usual Rotella oil and Wix filter. It had the usual oil smell for a day or so. We went out to the property today to see if we could pull the trailer out there. It was pretty muddy so we drove around a bit and decided not to take the trailer out there. We came back in to town and did a few errands then ran back out to the proerty to put up a mailbox. The truck was dirty so we stopped by the carwash on the way home. We had noticed a bit of an oil smell about that time but there was a rice burner in front of us so we didn't think much of it.<br>We got home and as we were dropping the trailer we noticed an oily film all over the back of the truck and on the trailer. As I went to the front of the truck I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground under the truck. I immediately shut it off. The oil pressure was fine this whole time, it did not seem to be loosing pressure at any time but when I checked the dip stick it seems real low it doesn't even reach the add mark. Only shows oil about 1&quot; up the stick. When we changed the oil last saturday the filter got an indention in it from the filter wrench. It wasn't like a puncture hole so I didn't think much about it then. Now when you start it you can see the oil drip out of the indention area. But again the oil pressure always stayed just below 40. Do you think I've got a real problem here? Will it be ok if I change the filter and add more oil or do I have a serious problem?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Patti
Old 06-21-2003, 06:10 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Re:close to running out of oil ??????????

My guess is that you lucked in by noticing the leak before the oil pressure started to drop. Change the oil filter, top up with oil and you should be OK. Generally speaking, as long as there is oil pressure you will not harm the engine.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with Mexstan. You did good by catching it in time. Just change the filter and top it back up. Remember that you still had a gallon or better left in the pan.<br>Ed
Old 06-22-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Actually I'd also change the oil since there is the remote possibility that some of hte filter media got into the oil. <br><br>OK, I know I'm paranoid ;D but still they are out there to get me ;D <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-22-2003, 08:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

AlpineRAM, good point but forgive me if I also argue against it. You are correct as you say, that there is a remote chance that some filter media could escape and get into the oil system. (The veins of the engine) Are you paranoid? Will not go there However. IMHO unless the damage is within, say, the top 1/4 inch of the filter or very close to the outlet it is my belief that the remaining filter media will catch it's own. I know both of us are treading on theoretical grounds but it is a fun discussion.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:18 AM

Thumper,<br>I agree with all of the above but...I'd never use a Wix oil filter. I'd use either a Mopar or better yet a Fleetguard from Cummins. Do a search and look at other threads about oil filters and what Cummins has to say about them.<br><br>I'm wondering if it was a typo when you said the pressure was running just under 40 ??? Mine is always about 75 - 80 psi even when pulling in hot weather. What am I missing here? The way I'm looking at what you said that seems to be your &quot;normal&quot; pressure, but maybe I'm wrong; did you mean that it was running &quot;low&quot; pressure at just under 40?<br><br>I'd like to hear from some others regarding what the oil pressure should be.<br><br>Stan
Old 06-22-2003, 08:42 AM

BF2, my guess is that thumper is talking about the oil pressure at idle. If his oil pressure is just under 40 psi at anything above about 1200 rpm I would say he has a problem. Thumper, is this your oil pressure at idle? What is your oil pressure at cruise?<br>
Old 06-22-2003, 09:34 AM

40 is the oil pressure at idle. However it usually don't go up much unless I'm on the interstate and getting on the truck. These are stock gauges and of course my truck is stock as well. <br><br>We are going to change the oil as well had planned to do that anyways just to be safe. <br><br>I've heard all the opinions on oil filters and while fleetgaurd are probably better. I've used Wix for many years and never had a problem. I'm not going to start that debate again.<br><br>As for the damage to the oil filter. I took a pic of the filter so you could see it. It's a real small pin hole type thing.<br>Filter Pic<br>Let me know if you really think that filter particals are going to get into my engine and cause serious damage. If so what do you do? I personally think it's unlikely but I'm no mechanic and don't have that experience to say so.<br><br>Thanks guys I appreciate your advice.<br><br>Patti<br><br>
Old 06-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If it was my truck I'd change the filter, top off the oil, clean the engine, and not worry anymore about it.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:53 AM

I think you got lucky. I also think you are OK. In the future use a fleetguard or Mopar without dents and double check everything. You might not be lucky twice. Glad you were once ;D
Old 06-22-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should no need to put a filter on that tight to dent the case in the first place, and not all filters use the same thickness of canister material. A pin hole in the canister case with a small dent should not have any effect on the filter media causing damage-Cummins says normal operating oil pressure range on B's is 45-65 psi. Put a Fleetguard 3894 filter on, fill it up and drive it. Fleetguard is Cummins supplied filter at reasonable price from them, usually within $2.00 of an el-cheapo. Fleetguard industrial filters usually have a installation diagram gasket contact and 1/2-3/4 of a turn past, I do mine by hand with synthetic grease on gasket. Never had a leak or loose filter yet, had to break several wrenches trying to get some off by some gorilla torquing an oil filter to Budd wheel specs. PK
Old 06-22-2003, 12:16 PM

[quote author=P Kennedy link=board=4;threadid=16181;start=0#152058 date=1056300704]<br>There should no need to put a filter on that tight to dent the case in the first place.............<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>If you use a strap wrench, and tighten to the recommended 3/4 turn, you can very often dent the side of a Fleetguard 3894. I've done it many times, and I'm not over tightening. I think you're right on though in that all filters aren't created equal.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I've never used a wrench to tighten an oil filter.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:57 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=4;threadid=16181;start=0#152070 date=1056302803]<br>I've never used a wrench to tighten an oil filter. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Niether have I. I had to try several different types to find one that was strong enough to remove the first filter.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Patti, change the oil to be safe as you are planning to do and keep driving. The chances of contamination of the oil/engine IMO are somewhere between nil and zero. I agree with the previous postings, as I NEVER use a wrench to tighten the filters. Put a smear of clean oil on the filter gasket, snug it up and then another half to 3/4 of a turn max.<br>Keep on trucking with a happy smile. ;D

Quick Reply: close to running out of oil ??????????