24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Charging/ AC / Overheat issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, it was pretty hot out today and I had the AC blowing. Truck was a little over midway on the temp gauge, but I didn't hear the jet engine fan kick in. I came home, lifted the hood, and with one finger, I can turn the fan , but can't spin it, so no free play. It feels tight and true, does this sound normal?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
Not weird: Your A/C compressor in a sence is a heat pump, you have the compressor, condensor (sits in front of the radiator), evaporator (it's in the heater box and freon (very low boiling point) in the complete system.

The way your A/C works is (generic explination) the compressor pumps the freon thru the syst. and there is an orafice tube that drops the syst. pressure, after the orafice tube the pressure is droped so much the freon gets like 28 degrees, then it passes thru your evaporator, the heat in the truck cab is absorbed into the evaporator evenutually boiling the freon and it taking the heat with it, the condensor in front of the radiator gets all this heat and can get as hot as 275 deg. this hot air WILL warm up the air going to the radiator to some degree. What you are seeing when running the A/C is this heat from the condensor raising the temp. of the coolant. If your cooling syst. is working efficiently it will show warmer on your temp. gauge, but will not affect the cooling of the engine accept being a few degrees warmer all the time the A/C is working than when the A/C is not working.
Exactly. Its actually amazing that the cooling system is able to be affective in triple digit summer heat with the A/C on full blast, and then tow something too.
I actually will plan ahead and turn my A/C off when I know I'm shutting down the engine to help reduce EGT's since they take forever to drop with the A/C on. And, I'll also run the defrost in the winter to help keep the EGT's a little higher in the winter months.

Originally Posted by leeboy
So, it was pretty hot out today and I had the AC blowing. Truck was a little over midway on the temp gauge, but I didn't hear the jet engine fan kick in. I came home, lifted the hood, and with one finger, I can turn the fan , but can't spin it, so no free play. It feels tight and true, does this sound normal?
Generally, if you can hear the clutch fan engage then its working. I say that cautiously since this would apply to an OEM clutch fan and aftermarket fan clutches tend to be weaker all the time. And turning the fan only to have it resist is OK too. The hotter it is outside, the less it will turn doing what you tried.