24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

carter campaign lift pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carter campaign lift pump failure

I just replaced my stock lift pump with a carter pump from the cummins dealer ($65). At first it worked great about 12 psi at idle and didn't drop below 5 psi at WOT. I also finallly installed a FP gauge just after I repaced the lift pump. About a week ago I noticed that the pump was not holding good pressure. In a weeks time idle pressure worked its way from 8psi down to 5 and now its zero. This pump maybe lasted a grand total of a month and/or about three weeks of driving. Does anyone know if the cummins pump has a warrenty or any other suggestions?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:39 PM

I've heard that alot of lift pump failures are actually just a bad connection problem at the plastic Dodge wiring harness connector at the lift pump. Try applying 12v and ground from a car battery using small jumper wires direct to the LP and see if it runs good, might be your connection. Happened to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM

The Cummins warranty, on those pumps, leaves a lot to be desired. I had a similar issue and they wanted to sell me a pump to replace the faulty one, then send the faulty pump to be checked out. In the event the pump was covered under warranty, they'd refund me at that time.

Just do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket setup. The amount of time you spend screwing around with stock pumps and warranty issues is enough to justify the relatively minor added expense.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM

The Campaign pump seems to be just as bad as the OE. My first Campaign pump lasted all of seven months.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM

The pump failed the flow test that cummins recommends instead of the pressure gauge. I cycled the pump three times and still didn't get half as much fuel as I should have with one cycle of the pump. I'm weighing my options for an aftermarket pump set up. I'm definitely not going back with a carter campaign fuel pump. Does any one have the fuel pump that dodge dealers put in the tank as a fix for stock pump? I was wondering how they perform. My neighbor works as a mechanic at a dealer and he can get me an intank set up for $320.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by wesgib
I just replaced my stock lift pump with a carter pump from the cummins dealer ($65). At first it worked great about 12 psi at idle and didn't drop below 5 psi at WOT. I also finallly installed a FP gauge just after I repaced the lift pump. About a week ago I noticed that the pump was not holding good pressure. In a weeks time idle pressure worked its way from 8psi down to 5 and now its zero. This pump maybe lasted a grand total of a month and/or about three weeks of driving. Does anyone know if the cummins pump has a warrenty or any other suggestions?
Thanks for posting this message. I was just considering getting a Campaign pump for mine the next time I went to Cummins. You just saved me some time and money. Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Registered

I would get a fass, or the like long before the in tank. the in tank might be ok on a stock truck. All you will see for pressure is 8-9 and 3-5 at WOT with a stock truck, and if you have mods on it, it will pull down to 0. You can get a better fix for the same money, and less labor. IMO
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't go to the intank pump. Get a big line relocation kit, then try that pump again. If it doesn't work, get an aftermarket pump. Vulcan performance is a great place for that stuff.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marine
Don't go to the intank pump. Get a big line relocation kit, then try that pump again. If it doesn't work, get an aftermarket pump. Vulcan performance is a great place for that stuff.
What he said. I had good luck with my big line kit.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:56 AM

How about the Holley Blue? It's rated @ 14psi and that should be fine with a stock or near-stock engine.......
Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 PM

I just pulled my fuel tank apart to see if there was anything going on in there and might have found the problem to the extreme early failure of the campaign pump. The upper and lower screens in the bottom of the pickup assembly were clogged with junk. I looked like waxes and dirt. I do use biodiesel at varying degrees throughout the year but don't think thats the only thing clogging the screens. I might have got some dirty diesel to add to the problem. There is no way to clean the screens plus mine has a rip in it. Has anyone had similar problems and does anyone have any suggestions on a new pickup etc?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get rid of that screen and use the Vulcan Performance Draw Straw.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:54 PM

i've been havin the same problem and my sending unit went bad so i decited to pull the bed and replace the sending unit and see whats goin on with the fuel lines. so first off the big nut that holds the pickup assembly was loose and the whole top of the tank was covered in caked on gunk(fuel and dirt) and when i pulled the assembly out the sending unit and float was no where to be found......so after fealing around on the bottom of the tank i found it and there is a clip or something on the top of the pickup tube thats fell down around it. and both screans are pluged up because when i stuck a peice of puel line in the tank it ran at 15 psi at a idle. so i dunno what to do.

and where the assembly(plastic thing) slides is cracked and im sure it's a dealer only part too .

i've seen a few pullin and drag trucks with the feed line in the bottom of the tank....but i DONT want to do that
Old 12-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Get yourself a Draw Straw and a remote, cleanable, filter and all will be good! Like I said before; dump the stock setup and go to an aftermarket fuel system.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking about a Drawstraw for mine to complete my Big Line all the way to the fuel tank. Since my frame located Carter 4601HP is still in spec for 27 months with no problems, I'll keep it a while longer.

Quick Reply: carter campaign lift pump failure