24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bye bye fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I certainly did not lose economy with the FASS. I got a small increase. The volume is so much more than stock you don't even have to prefill the filters. I changed the filter a week or so ago. Screwed it on dry, bumped the starter twice, fired it up. Thing is you don't even need a pressure gage any more. Boring to watch, it just stays there all the time, never moves. I have had mine at several pressures, right now it stays at 12 to 13. Only one flaw as supplied, don't try to fuel while the engine is running unless you like the smell of diesel on your shoes. One day I will change the return.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by barracuda
The FASS system looks really sturdy however the price, while probably worth it, is a bit high...i did a pusher for $100- and i get 20 at idle, 16 cruise, no lower than 11 WOT, i do have the max-flow kit too...my feeling is if one dies, i will still have some pressure, around 6lbs. lower w/ the pusher turned off....just my .0002
What did the max flow kit do without the pusher? (or did you install them at the same time?)
Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
I wouldn't bet on the fuel economy reduction with the fass being caused by the lack of fuel heating. I think that hte heater only kicks in at quite low temps and above those it wouldn't make a difference. Reduced economy with my bombs usually came from having too much fun with the new power and from "scientifically testing my new setup under varying load conditions- Inevitably there was a trend to higher load conditions when seeing a rice rocket on the road

AlpineRAM
I broke out the Service Manual to see what it said about the fuel heater. It says that the heater comes on at 45 degrees plus or minus 8 degrees and stays on until the temp is above 75 degrees plus or minus 8 degrees. It then says that the fuel heater is used to prevent diesel from waxing during cold weather operation. (Waxing/Gelling Tamato's/Tamahto's) I read somewhere that cold diesel fuel does give lower fuel economy in big rigs but don't remember which site it was off of the top of my head right now. My main point really wasn't about economy though.
It was about... There being a reason why our trucks come with a OEM 300 watt fuel heater. I feel that any aftermarket fuel system that bypasses it without using an alternative heater didn't do their homework. If your fuel waxes up in cold temps it can lead to starting problems and may prevent the engine from being able to rev up. Thats a fact and it wont matter what sticker is on your pump. Yes some of us use additives and some mix in number 1 fuel too. But why knowingly risk doing something like that to your 30+ thousand dollar baby?

I am not challanging what anyone has reported thus far, just once again giving my honest opinion.

Opie
Old 03-24-2004, 04:39 PM

Fass has a heater system, I did not hook mine up. You either use heater water or oil flow for the heater.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:07 PM

If the heater system it comes with was hooked up, there is a good chance a guy would get better fuel economy in cold weather. According to what the carlor engineering group research states.

http://www.carlor.com/en/engine/pages/03_02.htm

But the way I see it, even if that FASS heater was hooked up it wouldn't help with cold weather starting or during intial warm up. I still recommend using the stock fuel filter/housing. It functionally makes sense, is proven and best of all it comes with the truck! To anyone that has read this entire thread and still doesn't want theirs please let me know. I would be more than happy to pay for shipping and handling for it.

Opie
Old 03-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Administrator

If the fuel in the suction line between the stock pump and the tanks waxes up, it doesn't matter if you have a 50000 watt heater in the stock filter, it ain't gonna start anyway.
It doesn't get cold enough around here to worry about it as stated before. I am however, going to keep my stock filter housing and if this ever becomes an issue, I will reinstall it and reconnect the heater. I considered this initially and have not give up on the idea yet even if I run it with no filter.
The thing I like about the FASS is the fuel pressure is stuck on 16 psi no matter what I do. I think those cheap stock pumps are the reason I had to spend a lot of bucks on a new injector pump last week.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:31 AM

Opie you concerns for unheated fuel would carry a lot more weight if you had a different signature. I would not consider putting NOS through my "$30,000 baby" I doubt that you have ever driven a diesel during a period where the fuel was trying to wax, or did wax and quit. What I am saying is that I doubt that you have experience with what you are talking about. Waxing is not a starting problem, it is a problem where the running engine quits and leaves you stranded in sub zero temperatures. Heated fuel tanks is the only help here other than blended fuel. A heater in the fuel system with plenty of circulation is one way to heat the fuel tanks. The FASS heater "may" do that, but the stock system could not think about it. Heat added to a high return to the tank may have enough circulation to do this as larger pump and larger return ports in an old Detroit would keep the tanks steaming in cold weather. The other way is heaters in the tanks. You may be right about better fuel economy with warm fuel and for this reason I may hook up the fuel heater, but this will not stop waxing unless the main fuel in the tank is heated. A stay in a cold truck in Wisconson in the middle of the night gives you good cause to ponder these things. Been there.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 AM

Thats funny. I might be right about a lot of things but it's doubtful I know what I am talking about.

The main reason I originally bought my truck was to haul snowmobiles. And there are some very cold/remote places that the truck resides at during those trips.

I can see your point on the NOS thing. Though I am not telling others what a great thing it is. But in all honesty, NOS hasn't given me any problems but when I played with Propane that was a different story. Propane taught me a valuable lesson about buying aftermarket products for my truck.

I also think that adding a fuel heater in the tank is a good idea and it's too bad that option wasn't available when I ordered my truck.

As for waxing not being able to become a starting problem, thats your belief not mine or the service manual's for that matter.

It's too bad that you may now be hooking up your original fuel heater as I am so willing pay shipping/handling for it.

I too have spent some nights on the mountains in a tractor/trailer. I tried doing the long haul driving thing myself.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

I know how to solve all of yall's fuel issues. Move south.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 AM

Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 PM

No I would not hook the restrictive filter assembly. I will consider hooking up the heater in the FASS unit which if it works well will heat the whole tank due to the high return fuel. And on the price thing, You pay the money for the FASS but you get the high flow fuel line system all the way to the injecor pump, how much is that? And you also get to save a bunch on filters, one right away. Add the savings of a couple of lift pumps and the cost is nominal. Then count taking an afternoon to go and get the replacement pump. Nope I like what I have, works as advertised, don't have to worry about a rubber impeller or small little pressure relief valve getting eaten up. Lets see, -8 fuel line system and all fittings, two filters with what comes with the FASS, two lift pumps at least, add it up and don't forget down time.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I prefer sitting in the truck driving it, not hanging over the fender or laying under it. That stupid stock lift pump is the only thing that ever left me stranded on the side of the road. Not saying that the FASS can't die but I'll take my chances with it. I don't worry about the money when it comes to reliability.
I just put a little over $4000 in this truck with the upgrades and am happy as it is. Getting ready to change all the fluids and all rubber hoses and new tires before summer gets here too.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:00 PM

Haulin_in_Dixie,

Cool, I am glad your happy. If you don't mind I have some questions for you.

What are you going to do with what you refer to as being the restrictive fuel assemble? If memory serves the input and output ports are the 12mm weber style fittings.

You mention the high fuel return rate. How many gallons per hour does your new system pump?

Since you brought it up how much did it cost?

Did you modify your fuel tank supply fitting? As a AN8 line would be too big to fit the roughly 5/16" OEM supply fitting at the tank.

Is the AN8 line the braided type with the Aeroquip type fittings?

How many amps does your new system draw? Are you running it off of your existing pump wiring?

Do you think Dodge would have any problem with someone trying to use their engine warrantee when they notice the entire fuel filter assemble was missing?

I know I don't carry any weight with you but I do appriciate your reply's.

Opie
Old 03-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I can answer a few questions if you like.

I filled mine up to the bottom of the vent tube the other night just to see how much it does recirc. It was moving a stream of fuel about half the size of a pencil diameter and it was not not steady at that. The recirc from the pump ties into a Tee fitting you install in the rubber hose on the tank vent.

Cost in the $600 range depending on where you get it. (I've already spent more than that on four lift pumps)

The FASS comes with a replacement snap lock fitting that hooks up very easily to the stock suction tube coming out of the tank.

All the new supply and return fittings are push on type. (we added hose clamps and a place to tie the pressure gauge into)

The FASS comes with a wiring harness already made up that plugs right into the stock harness up front. It also includes a 15 amp in line fuse that goes back by the tank. I think the paperwork says 12 amps.

It makes no more noise than the stock pump before the engine starts and the water seperator and the filter are in a location that can be changed out in about two minutes flat.

I have a few pics if you would like to see them. Hope this helps.

Joel
Old 03-25-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the number of that Baldwin 5 micron?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Bye bye fuel problems