24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bye bye fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine doesn't have any miss and when I checked the fuel pressure a couple of weeks ago, I still had 12 psi at idle, but it dropped to nearly 0 at WOT.
Hopefully my new LP and banjos will be here next week.

CR
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I use a holley blue in the frame rail by the tank, 10mm rubber line up to the fuel filter and the line and fittings from wilcat's max flow to the VP44. After a little tinkering with the regulator in the pump I have an idle pressure of 18 psi and a WOT pressure of 16- as long as the fuel filter is good, when it gets bad it drops to about 14 WOT. I think that the maxflow is a great addition since it feeds the pump very well.

AlpineRAM
Old 03-19-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bye bye fuel problems

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
The stock fuel crappy system seems to have fallen off my truck while I was at Forest City Diesel in Mo last week.
When we put it back on, it looked amazingly like the FASS system, weird.
For those of you that are tired of the substandard lift pumps, goofy banjo bolts, and hard to change fuel filters, look into the FASS. With EZ and DDII's the fuel pressure gauge stays pegged at 16 even under full load up the mountains.
Filter and seperator will go something like 80000 miles now.
dieseldude 4X4,

You mention being tired of substandard lift pumps, goofy banjo bolts and hard to change fuel filters. By that you are telling me that you are no longer running fuel through your stock fuel filter? If thats true I hope for your sake this winter, your FASS system has a built in heater like your stock fuel filter housing does. Not knocking FASS but I have a strong feeling something better will be coming out this summer.

Opie
Old 03-19-2004, 05:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

Opie, Joel lives not far from me and I had no problem at all this winter. I m sure up where you are it might be different but our temps generally stay above 20 or so. It did get down in the low teens and started fine and I only have one battery. What kind of boost you leaving the line with to get a 1.52 60' time? Tim
Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Yep, you are correct. I no longer have the fuel heater and am not even concerned about it.
If something better comes out this summer, I will buy it but I am extremely happy with my FASS for now. I've changed out four lift pumps (one alongside the road in 30 degree weather) and am tired of that crap. Couldn't get the pressure to come off 16 the whole way from Missouri even on the mountains with this new system.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:56 AM

fass

I have got a FASS and have no problems at -20 with the fuel. I am not running it thru the old filter or heater. One of the filter's that come with the FASS is the same one I had on my Marine Cummins diesel. Its a great system so far. I have not seen an increase in MPG maybe a slight decrease.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Mine has probably suffered a minor decrease in mileage also but I'm having too much fun playing with it yet to tell. Got another injector pump coming from Scheids this week, can't wait to the that installed.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:34 AM

Radio check........ having trouble posting here!

Captain DD, did you have any fuel flow problems before the FASS up there in tropical Alaska?

Dieseldude4x4, does the FASS remove water befor the pump? Why do you think it would negatively affect mpg?...STY
Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Best I can figure from looking at the FASS set up before we installed it, it pulls the fuel through the water seperator and then pumps it through the fuel filter. I'm basing this on the fact that the first filter the fuel sees is the seperator with the drain valve on the bottom.
Anybody disagree with this theory?
I think my decrease is temporarily due to my heavy right foot right now. As soon as the new goes away, I feel the MPG will go back to original or maybe a little better.

Right now, I have a permanent on my face.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:19 AM

I had the dealer check my lift pump out on Friday and he said I had 9psi at 2700 RPM's. On Saturday I was driving into town and my truck went from 60mph to 50mph I had a quarter tank of fuel so I filled up and my truck went back to full power. Sunday I change the fuel filter and found a dead lift pump. I have never had any problems with the lift pump that I new of. I have been running diesels for years most where fords. You use winter blend and they all seem to do just fine. Trucks run year round to the North Slope and have no problems.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 PM

Captain DD,

Thats very impressive starting/running a diesel at -20 below while not using a fuel heater. There is a lot of info on that subject in reguards to the gel point of diesel. This shortcut is to the Baldwin filter site.
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/../../e.../pdf/91-1r.pdf
I too have been in very cold places and try to give my motor all the help I can when doing so. And it sounds horrible when starting/initial running in those conditions, I would never consider not using a fuel heater. But then again not trying to sound negative but, I am not jumping on the FASS wagon either. How many miles do you have on your truck? I am only at 90K myself but I am still on my original VP44 and I do what I can to keep it that way.

Timinva,

I usually launch at the max boost my brakes will hold which is usually between 20-25 and I don't shift locked up from 1st to second becuase when doing so it was actually slower. (Fluid coupleing is a wonderful thing.) This year, now that all three tranny shafts are I.E. billet I will be shooting for the 1.4's but havent had much time for adding other mods to the truck, yet...

Alpine,

10mm rubber line? That sounds really small, I use AN6 / 5/16" well actually there is some AN8 used in a couple places too, as I made most of my fuel run from scap pieces of braided fuel line.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by CaptainDD
I had the dealer check my lift pump out on Friday and he said I had 9psi at 2700 RPM's.
Is that 9 psi sitting in the bay in neutral at 2700 rpm or 9 psi on the highway under WOT? It may make a slight difference.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:53 AM

Opie: 10mm ID rubber line. Over here all the lines are sold per inner diameter. 10mm=0.3937008 inch inner diameter, so I think I'm ve got r9oughly the same diameter through the system until the blue pump.
5/16" = 0.3125" = 7.9375 mm. If this is correct I think that what I did has enough diameter.

Also I don't need that much fuel yet. No twins, no stacked boxes , no nitrous

AlpineRAM
Old 03-23-2004, 08:34 AM

AlpineRam,

I am jealous, your fuel line ID is bigger than mine! As the old saying goes you can only flow as much as your smallest the restriction will allow. Even when running over 700 hp my 5/16" fuel lines and stock fuel filter, the supply to the injection pump still has more fuel to offer. The 10 mm lines where a good choice IMHO.

It would be interesting to see if the guys running the FASS system get their missing fuel economy back by running their stock fuel filter with the heater hooked up.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 AM

Hehe
Just took what was readily available over here. Looked to have as few as possible connectors and gizmos. Good thing about this is that there's less risk for leakage for less money and the spares are easy to have with you. (I've got 14 feet of 10mm rubber hose in my truck. I use it up regularly - on other people's rigs )

I wouldn't bet on the fuel economy reduction with the fass being caused by the lack of fuel heating. I think that hte heater only kicks in at quite low temps and above those it wouldn't make a difference. Reduced economy with my bombs usually came from having too much fun with the new power and from "scientifically testing my new setup under varying load conditions- Inevitably there was a trend to higher load conditions when seeing a rice rocket on the road

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Bye bye fuel problems