24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bummed about my mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummed about my mileage

Well my first tank of fuel on my new to me rig was only 14.166 mpg hand calculated. I really thought it would be better than that. It is an automatic though and most of the driving was in the city with short highway trips. I only got 420 miles to the 1/8th mark. My boss says his 94 seems taller geared and he gets 550 to E. I didn't get a chance to pick up and additive for this tank. Can that stuff be added after refueling or will it not mix well? The whole point behind me buying this rig was to get rid of all the not great gassers I had. Now my diesel DD isn't any better than my s-10 and the fuel costs more. Someone said the price went down to 2.80 something though from 2.99. Does this mileage seem right to you guys? What else can I do to improve my mileage?

I know our driving habits are all different. I have been mellow and staying within 5 of the speed limits. The tach runs between 1800 and 2200 when I'm on the highway.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:25 PM

that mileage is horrible on an otherwise stock truck. what rear gears do you have?? the best way to improve mileage is by keeping your RPM's below 2000 and be gentle on the throttle when accelerating from a stop... if you drive it like a race car, you'll get the fuel mileage of a race car.

now, if the truck isn't mechanically sound then you'd have some different issues. Do you have any visible smoke?? what color?? How does the trasmission feel... i.e. does it shift solid? does the transmission hunt for gears when cruising on flat ground? Have you tested the fuel pressure?? You could also try cleaning the MAP and IAT sensors.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 AM

I have no idea what the gears are. It doesn't smoke at all that I have seen. The smell of diesel fuel is pretty heavy though. It smells a little raw though. The tranny feels strong, but it seems like it shifts a little too soon for me. It has only hunted for gears once and that was off road going really slow and in some mud. I think it was just because we were creaping through and it must have been right in between 1st and 2nd. It really shifts from 1st to 2nd really quick. If you mash the go pedal off the line it shifts like I feel it should shift. When you turn the OD off it feels like it drops to 2nd then up shifts. I would figure it to just drop to 3rd. I am not a tranny guy at all though. If it is a tranny problem though I bought the warranty I'll burn that baby down and get another one put in. Where are the MAP amd IAT sensors? And what do you recommend I clean them with? What will cleaning these sensors do? Is the IAT the idle air something sensor?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:27 AM

I get about 14.?? if I drive in the city too. Stop and go man.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RED99CTD
I have no idea what the gears are. It doesn't smoke at all that I have seen. The smell of diesel fuel is pretty heavy though. It smells a little raw though. The tranny feels strong, but it seems like it shifts a little too soon for me. It has only hunted for gears once and that was off road going really slow and in some mud. I think it was just because we were creaping through and it must have been right in between 1st and 2nd. It really shifts from 1st to 2nd really quick. If you mash the go pedal off the line it shifts like I feel it should shift. When you turn the OD off it feels like it drops to 2nd then up shifts. I would figure it to just drop to 3rd. I am not a tranny guy at all though. If it is a tranny problem though I bought the warranty I'll burn that baby down and get another one put in. Where are the MAP amd IAT sensors? And what do you recommend I clean them with? What will cleaning these sensors do? Is the IAT the idle air something sensor?
I average 19 to 20 with mixed driving. If I go over 2K rpm on the highway, it will drop by 1 or 2 MPG.
Map and IAT are here: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_...l_sys_comp.htm

I didn't see a milage increase when I replaced both, but it did smooth out the engine.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ANY idling gets real bad on milage real fast. My '99 will idle at about 10 mph flat and level. My high MPG so far is 26 but I came off the pump onto the interstate , kept foot out of it and 55 MPH for 5 hrs non stop. Average for me is 17.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:33 AM

Here is something for you, it happened to me. Check to see if your spedo is calibrated to the tire size you have. Mine is 8% off so I have to adjust my miles to get the right reading. I was ****** for a while thinking I was only getting 17 MPG in the city and 19 on the freeway. If I actually adjust for the correct miles I am seeing 18.5 and 21.7 and I am MUCH happier with that.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Like posted above...

Keep you speed down to 55 MPH... Check your tire pressures... Keep you cargo light if possible... and Don't drive let you stole it...

I'm getting 19 MPG with the mods listed below...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Chapter President

If you look at the underside of the hood there is a tag that will tell you which gear you have in the rear. It's either a 3.55 or 4.10.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM

4.10 gears with 265 75 16(stock) tires.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 PM

What the heck is wrong with 14 mpg around town????
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 AM

I just expected to get more I guess since everyone I know says they are in their Dodge's with CTD's.
My tires need replacing, but they aren't super close to the wear bars yet. The fronts I noticed look a little low. I'll let you know how it does on my 1400 mile trip to California and back. I am dragging an S-10 to Redding tomorrow night. Then I'll be dragging an empty trailer back. I'll get some highway time in on her.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
What the heck is wrong with 14 mpg around town????
I get over 15 mpg in town with my mods even if I race the truck between stoplights and fog out intersections and unsuspecting motorists.... I was getting almost 17 when the truck was stock.

Those 4.10's definitely aren't known for good fuel mileage.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I get 19 city (no highways on Guam at all). A stock truck with 4.10's will get a little leass due to gearing.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 AM

Throw an edge ez on there and if you keep your foot out of it your mileage will actually go up a pretty good amount.

Quick Reply: Bummed about my mileage