24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brakes on 2000 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Factory fog lights would have gotten a headlight switch with the pull out feature for the fogs.

There is two kinds of switches depending on options.

Carfax only shows whats reported. Airbag deployment is what started it because they are regulated as to who can be authorized to buy them and then are bar coded to the vin of the vehicle they are to be installed in after said vehicle suffered a deployment.

Check for that frame vin I was talking about.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlight switch has the foglight indicator on it. Did carfax today. Unfortunately doesn't tell me much. It shows up as a rebuilt writeoff which PO told me a story about. PO said it was stolen, written off and found. Said that was why it showed up as written off. Will keep researching. Have tried to contract PO by email today. Will see what I find out. I guess I will keep this thread going as I learn more. Welcome to my research project
Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM

I have a bit of an upate for this research project. Had a local member of DTR at the house yesterday and mentioned that my truck seems like a Frankenstein of some sort. He noticed two things I hadn't. First thing is pretty minor - head bolts have been converted to studs. No biggie there. The second thing he noticed is that I have 4 wheel ABS. So, now I have 4 wheel discs and 4 wheel ABS on a truck that was never built with either. Curiouser and curiouser......
Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
I have a bit of an upate for this research project. Had a local member of DTR at the house yesterday and mentioned that my truck seems like a Frankenstein of some sort. He noticed two things I hadn't. First thing is pretty minor - head bolts have been converted to studs. No biggie there. The second thing he noticed is that I have 4 wheel ABS. So, now I have 4 wheel discs and 4 wheel ABS on a truck that was never built with either. Curiouser and curiouser......
Head studs arent a big deal to change but 4 wheel ABS was an option. I know your still wondering but I'm sure your truck is factory. Can you even imagine the work involved it would take to convert a 2 wheel ABS with rear drums into a 4 wheel disc with 4 wheel ABS? The mass of electronics alone are so intertwined that it would be a major endeavor just to get everything to work right. For that matter, just changing from drums to disc's is a lot of work and would require more than just a couple parts since all trucks have rear ABS.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Katoom - you are likely right. The only weird thing left is almost none of the truck matches the build sheet for the VIN that the dealership printed for me. If I get a chance, I will scan the build sheet (after blacking out a couple of things like the actual VIN) and add it to this thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Head studs arent a big deal to change but 4 wheel ABS was an option. I know your still wondering but I'm sure your truck is factory. Can you even imagine the work involved it would take to convert a 2 wheel ABS with rear drums into a 4 wheel disc with 4 wheel ABS? The mass of electronics alone are so intertwined that it would be a major endeavor just to get everything to work right. For that matter, just changing from drums to disc's is a lot of work and would require more than just a couple parts since all trucks have rear ABS.
Yea- at this point, I would say that there is an issue with the VIN and computer records. Unless someone is a mechanical genius, with acres full of Dodge trucks to rob parts from, then there is a records error. Any luck on the VIN number on the frame? Perhaps the whole cab had been changed, bringing the donor VINS with it...
Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM

It has been a while since I was in this thread (until today) so I totally forgot about the other place for the VIN. Right door frame and the dash VIN match. It just so happens that I cleaned the garage yesterday and the truck the other day so crawling under there on the creeper to look for the frame VIN shouldn't be to crappy a job.