24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brake upgrage, Shocks, Fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake upgrage, Shocks, Fuel filter

Just completed the '03 brake upgrade on my '02. It was a complete bolt on switch. I used Bosch premium rotors, Wagner brake pads and reman caliper brackets. I kept the original calipers, they're in good shape. I also left the stock dust shields in place. Had to replace the little metal brackets that hold the pads in place as they got a little bent up removing. The brakes work great.

Installed Bilstein 5100 series shocks on all four corners. The factory originals were still on the truck, and very in need of replacing. The new shocks work great. The truck still rides like a 2500 Dodge, but more controlled. These shocks are on sale right now at 4Wheel parts for $300 for all four.

And lastly, guess I got some bad fuel last tank. Truck started with a slight "miss" under power, and over two days got much worse. Changed the fuel filter and added some additive for cleaning/water separation. All is well now - but for a few anxious moments, I feared it was something more serious.

Truck now has almost 95k miles.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Congratulations!

I did the brake upgrade about 1100 miles ago, no looking back.
The Bilstein's are a great shock for the Dodge.
Fuel filters come & fuel filters go...
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM

Can someone give me some more info on the brake upgrade? I have an 02 and am going to be doing the brakes on it (for the first time).What do you gain by doing this upgrade? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
BRO

Originally Posted by birddoctor
Can someone give me some more info on the brake upgrade? I have an 02 and am going to be doing the brakes on it (for the first time).What do you gain by doing this upgrade? Thanks.
If your do a search for 3rd Gen Brake upgrade you will find a lot of info. You need 3rd gen wheels (03-07) and then you will need new 3rd gen rotors, 3 gen caliber brackets, 3rd gen disk pads. If you calibers or ok, then you can reuse those. What you gain is greater stopping power in the front because the 3rd gen rotors and disk pads are large by 1.5"+/-.

You have a 2002 so you already have disk in the rear, mine is a 2001 and it has drums in the rear. I am not sure if you can add the 3rd gen brake set up to your rear disk set up. Except for buying the 3rd gen wheels and the caliber bracket, the cost of the upgrade is about the same as redoing your stock brakes in front but with greater stopping power. Like I said do a search and you will gain a lot of insight. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 AM

As far as the brake upgrade, as stated above, that's it. You need 17" or larger wheels (don't forget to do the spare too - so you won't be stranded if you hava a flat, especially on the front).

Simply order '03 rotors, '03 caliper brackets, and '03 brake pads. Reuse your '02 calipers if they are in good shape. Mine were. I got all my parts from O'Rielly Auto Parts, but other stores have the same parts.

It really is a simple bolt on process. Just remove the '02 parts, bolt on the '03parts and you're done. It's a simple brake job. I did the whole job for right at $400. My truck already had 17" wheels, so that didn't factor as a cost issue for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Ok thanks, for the information.Will probably cost me a little more though,because I still have the stock wheels.But,I will definitely do the research on it.