24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

brake problems...again....what kind of brakes are you guys running..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake problems...again....what kind of brakes are you guys running..

what kind of brakes are you guys using?? i have had this truck about 2 years now, and still havent been able to get them right....i had this same problem a year ago...and again last night.....got new rotors, pads, and 1 caliper (one of them was leaking bad) put it all back together and the breaks seem to be sticking on and getting really hot after just a short drive, i had it into 2 diff shops, one told me it was collapsed lines, so i had all new lines installed, didnt help it, then one told me master cylinder, put a new one of those on, still no good....so after a few months of the brakes smoking and getting hot and slowin me down with a trailer, they finally just started working ok, however the rotors were cracked and warped, well this past week they started squeaking bad, so i pulled of the wheels and my pads were about gone, so i got new rotors,(wagner from o'reillys) and this time tryed sum diff pads, like the next higher up ones, from auto zone, with a lifetime warrenty. put it all back together, starts doin the same thing as a year ago, gets really hot and whatnot..so took it back apart, sanded down the pads sum, pryed off the backing plates on the pads, hoping to get more clearance, but that still didnt help. so i have ran out of ideas??? am i missing something simple, or do i just have to spend the big bucks on those cross drilled/slotted rotors, and that will solve the problem????
Old 03-10-2007, 01:48 PM

i just use the premium rotors and pads also if you havent taken off your height adjusting valve and put in the replacement hose on the rear that will help if you do that yours may not have it though
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Sounds to me like your calipers are not releasing, I doubt crossdrilled rotors are going to help at all. If you replaced lines did you check or replace hardlines too or just flex lines. What about maybe a contaminated fluid this would continue to ruin all brake parts until contaminated fluid is removed, making seals swell in calipers, mastercyinder, and hoses swell shut.
If it were me I would get a power bleeder a several gallons of brake fluid, flush system good. Seeif that helps at all get all wheels off the ground see if you can't find problem part or parts. If not purchase new master cylinder, flex hoses, calipers, and rear cylinders if you have drums, and ABS pump. Replace all items
Old 03-10-2007, 02:10 PM

what exactly are "premium" rotors and pads? is that from o'reillys? cheaper or more expensive?? mine has that rod on the back axle that from what i was told distributes more breaking power to the front when weight is on the truck?? is that what ur talking about i need sum sort of a replacement hose??? thanks for the help, id love to get this figured out for i ruien this set of brakes also....
Old 03-10-2007, 02:13 PM

i replaced all the lines in the front end, and 1 capiler, and master cylinder....i havent messed with the back at it, it has always seemed to work fine..
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 PM

what i mean by "premum" not the cheap pads or rotors like the good rabestos or bendix, i would say you have a caliper hanging up most likely from being a mechanic. expically if one side is worn thinner then the other "pads". and yes dodge make a replacement hose for that height adjusting proporting valve. their is a tsb for it, if you atre having problems goin through front pads. i threw mine away and just recently did the replacement hose on a truck last week. i think the hose was like 35 dollars
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM

i might have to upgrade to the more expensive stuff then..i cant imagine why both calipers would be sticking the same way...one side a year old and one side factory. both sides pads were worn the same.. ill see about getting that replacement hose and see if that helps anything..thanks for the advice.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 PM

when i do calipers i do em in pairs just so i know what i got and dont have to worry about it its not worth the head ace know what i mean. no problem hope i helped you some and hopefully didnt lead you astray kinda hard to diagnose over the computer but gave it my best shot from my knowlege and info given