24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer Case Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Fluid

hey guys! i posted a thread awhile back about getting a list of all the things needed to be done at tune up time and someone mentioned to "change the transfer case fluid"
now i don't understand this statement. i've changed the transmission fluid before and i thougt the transfer case's fluid was just part of that or am i wrong? and if that's the case, how do you change the transfers case's fluid, and what fluid goes in it?

thanks folks
Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 PM

our transfer case has a drain plug on the backside (where the rear driveshaft exits) if you look on the lower portion of this casing you'll see 2 threaded plugs, i think they are 3/8 drive to remove. the lower drains the transfer case and the upper is to fill it. i like synthetic fluid and i think thats what dodge recommends
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by gunnie
our transfer case has a drain plug on the backside (where the rear driveshaft exits) if you look on the lower portion of this casing you'll see 2 threaded plugs, i think they are 3/8 drive to remove. the lower drains the transfer case and the upper is to fill it. i like synthetic fluid and i think thats what dodge recommends
ok, so this is seperate from the tranny correct? and if that is true, do they make "transfer case fluid". i've never heard of such a thing. and what kind of synthetic you got in it?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 PM

correct they are completely separate, i use royal purple in mine
Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM

oh ok. so i guess you could compare it to a differential in the fact that the fluid just sits in there and is circulated by the rotating gears right?

and what weight do you use and is it specifcally labeled as "transfer case fluid" or is it just gear oil?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 PM

the service manual says to use ATF+4
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 PM

hey it's you again

ugh! i'm confused here. so you're supposed to put trans fluid in the transfer case, but yet it's seperate from the tranny??? this one just doesn't make sense. i suppose i just need to get under there and take a gander.

and then what is the capacity of this thing. do you just fill it to the top of the fill hole?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The t-case and tranny and complety sealed off from each other. Inside in the adapter housing is "dead space".

The tranny is pressurized(in some places) while the t-case is mostly just splash lube.

You are correct, just fill to the bottom of the fill plug just like a diff.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM

about 5 pints

Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM

(sigh of relief) ok thanks guys.
so do you agree that this should be done while i'm doin' my "BIG tune up"
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 AM

You dont have to use ATF +4. Any automatic transmission fluid will work just fine...

The additive packages in the Chrysler ATF are meant for their automatic transmissions.

Any automatic tranny fluid will work fine in that transfer case.
Funny how chrysler mandates a chrysler specific tranny fluid in a transfer case that is made by a spinoff company of GM (new process gear). NPG makes the transfer cases for Ford, GM and DCX...You think Ford and GM recommend Chrysler ATF in their transfer cases too???
Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You dont have to use ATF +4. Any automatic transmission fluid will work just fine...

The additive packages in the Chrysler ATF are meant for their automatic transmissions.

Any automatic tranny fluid will work fine in that transfer case.
Funny how chrysler mandates a chrysler specific tranny fluid in a transfer case that is made by a spinoff company of GM (new process gear). NPG makes the transfer cases for Ford, GM and DCX...You think Ford and GM recommend Chrysler ATF in their transfer cases too???
that's a good point, more than likely not though i'll just use atf+4 by valvoline b/c that's what is in my tranny right now.