24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Boost?

Old 11-07-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost?

So I was wondering... what is the boost set at for our Turbo Diesels? <br><br>Is it possible to set up a boost controler and &quot;crank up&quot; the boost?<br><br>What is the maximum safe boost that can be run through a stock Cummins turbo diesel?<br><br>Is there a &quot;blow off valve&quot; on our trucks, if yes, where is it?<br><br>If there is a BOV, how do I make it non-closed atmosphere (Call me a ricer or whatever but I want to hear that darn thing loud and clear!)<br><br>If there is no BOV, why not? Can one be put on without screwing something up?<br><br><br>What happens when you drop an all motor chevy guy into a 99 Turbo Diesel? This one I can answer... he asks all kinds of stupid questions that a simple forum search could probably locate quickly and easily... [undecided]<br><br>Thanks so much for your time =)
Old 11-07-2002, 11:10 PM

Re:Boost?

Oops, sorry bout that... I guess this probably should have gone in the &quot;drivetrain&quot; section =(
Old 11-07-2002, 11:33 PM

Last time I checked Turbos dont have anything to do with your driveline...your a momo!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:36 PM

I guess thats what I get for telling my looser import buddies about my virgin experiance in the Diesel truck forum world :'(
Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Muted User

So I was wondering... what is the boost set at for our Turbo Diesels?

A: 19 PSI is the stock setting for most trucks. But can easily be reset to 29-35psi

Is it possible to set up a boost controler and &quot;crank up&quot; the boost?

A: No. Boost is a result of fuel burn and rate.

What is the maximum safe boost that can be run through a stock Cummins turbo diesel?

A: I wouldn't going past 49psi without a better head gasket setup. The engine STOCK can take what ever you through at boost wise internally. They don't fool around when they build diesel engines. It comes factory as meaty as meaty gets just about.

Is there a &quot;blow off valve&quot; on our trucks, if yes, where is it?

A: No. No blow off vavles. Our trucks use Wastegates only. There is no need for a BOV because you won't hurt the engine throwing all the boost a stock turbo could make in the world....or most turbos even at that. I've seen these engines take in the excess of 100psi in extreme applications.

If there is a BOV, how do I make it non-closed atmosphere (Call me a ricer or whatever but I want to hear that darn thing loud and clear!)

If there is no BOV, why not? Can one be put on without screwing something up?

A: BOV's are for sissies. (Gas engines mostly since they can't handle more than 15psi in most cases.) You'd only hurt the performance of the diesel if you equipped it with a BOV. If you want the cool &quot;SWOOOOOSSSSSSSSHSHHH!!!!&quot; noise that's what the wastegate is for.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 AM

nothing like that ear to ear smile you get when you find someone who knows their stuff... not to mention that I am running more boost than most of my import buddies muwahahahaha =P
Old 11-08-2002, 12:09 AM

Imports also weight about a quarter of what ur truck weighs.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:11 AM

yea but there isnt a single import I have ever seen that will get a girl to scream &quot;its a diesel&quot; as she creams her jeans...<br><br>mmmm i REALLY love this truck and I cant wait till I get to tow the SS with it lol
Old 11-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Muted User

FastSS - BTW... it's a 5.9L I6 Cummins turbo diesel... not a 5.7
Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 PM

its only 13ci... =P ive got 5.7 on the brain... im just glad I called it a L6 rather than a V8 lol<br><br>stupid vette motors <br><br>glad you cought that, i woulda looked like an ***... oh wait I already do =D
Old 11-09-2002, 01:00 PM

Fast SS,<br>You ought to leave the SS home and mod your Cummins I6!<br>Make some real power!<br><br>--Justin