24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blowby and oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thek0rn
while im in there to do a leakdown test, ill check the seals. say a seal did break/crack or is leaking, wouldnt i get some oil running down the stem into the combustion chamber causing a bit of blue smoke?? or could it leak enough pressure past but not be bad enough to let an excessive amount of oil past??
Since the intake is always pressurized the flow is always up the stem into the valve cover.

Lets not forget the exhaust valve stems either as the exhaust ports are pressurized.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I do not see how this could be at a idle where no boost is being applied,
also..engines are not running at full boost all the time, so this would have to happen say at 5 lbs and more ? (Just for a number )
I understand the stem area sees boost preasure as a constant when under boost,
But, how much air can you get up 24 stems at 20 lbs boost with a clearance of a thou ?
Again Please no one take this like a argument...just a educating conversation
thanx
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I just looked up the factory specs for the intake vlv clearance and it's .006 to .015 inches allowable.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Still.........I am not on the wagon ...yet !
Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM

it does happen only when im in higher boost (20psi +).

i talked to jeff this afternoon, and he seemed to think its more of a turbo problem, or rings. but he did say that valve seals are a possible. if it was a turbo, i would see signs of oil burning somewhere, be it intake or exhaust. i think the valve seals make pretty good sense, im curious about what shape the guides are in.
what do you do if your running more boost than what the hx35 makes? some are running twice what im making?? does someone sell better seals??
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Is it just me? I thought it was dangerous to check wet compression on a diesel! The oil can detonate and blow the gauge apart.
Ted
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM

it does happen only when im in higher boost (20psi +).

i talked to jeff this afternoon, and he seemed to think its more of a turbo problem, or rings. but he did say that valve seals are a possible. if it was a turbo, i would see signs of oil burning somewhere, be it intake or exhaust. i think the valve seals make pretty good sense, im curious about what shape the guides are in.
what do you do if your running more boost than what the hx35 makes? some are running twice what im making?? does someone sell better seals??
Has the truck sat for any amount of time? OEM seals are fine, however they seem to dry out if the engine sits for awhile. Did you tell Jeff you checked the compression?? What did he say?? My experience with the B series, by the time the rings wear out....the rest of the engine is in poor condition. After seeing the results of your compression test....I dont think the short block is in too bad of shape.....unless the gauge is wrong??
Old 01-29-2009, 04:45 PM

You can do this..When you are changing out your seals, after the air is chucked to the cyl you are working on do the valve spring drill , remove the seals, push on a Pice of tight fitting rubber hose part way dwn the stem. ( you do not want to loose the valves at this pt, )
Unhook the air. The valves of course will drop a dwn a little but now you can feel exactly how "loose they are in the guide bore.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
I am having a problem with my 98 24valve. i have an excessive amount of oil coming from the breather tube anytime i put the truck under load. i drove it to work last week with a load of scrap in the bed, and it pushed a gallon of oil out and all over the bottom of the truck. if i baby it, i can drive it for weeks without using a drop. it started for the first time towing my car back from carlisle pa last summer, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

the truck has never seen more that 35 psi of boost, and didnt use a drop of oil before that trip from PA. i rebuilt the vac. pump a few weeks ago, and it didnt make a difference. i plan on doing a compression test next sunday.

im starting to think it may have broken a ring or something, and its only showing up with higher boost levels. anyone have any ideas or sugestions. all mods are listed in my signature. thanks guys
replace the turbo, your oil consumption will stop
Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 PM

logskidder, the truck has been driven regularly since i bought it 8/06. jeff said that the compression numbers sound good, and that he has never seen a 24valve with 130k that needed rings, regardless of power levels.

johnh, we just put a super b on my friends 12 valve, so i think im going to take his stocker and run the truck for a bit to see what happens before i do the seal
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
replace the turbo, your oil consumption will stop
I don't think he has an oil consumption problem as I thought he said it was blowing out the crankcase breather under load.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
I don't think he has an oil consumption problem as I thought he said it was blowing out the crankcase breather under load.
turbo seals are leaking, blowing boost in oil drain line, thereby pressurising crankcase
my definition of oil consumption is using or losing .... the end result is the same
Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
turbo seals are leaking, blowing boost in oil drain line, thereby pressurising crankcase
You would think that if the seal was leaking it would show some oil in the compressor outlet under no load conditions, and he said it was clean. Maybe there was a trace and he just didn't notice it.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Well...I just want to know if the valve stem seal deal has any truth to it....As I still do not see how .... unless the guides were so worn they are all have a orgy and swapping holes and valves with EA other .
Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 PM

I am also interested in the fix. I first would have said vacuum pump but he rebuilt that. A peek at the turbo intake/exhaust would be next.(done) Compression (done) or leakdown check would follow. I don't have a boroscope or access to one anymore but some might. If non of these shows anything, then I would check the valves using compressed air to hold them up while removing the keepers and replacing the seals at the same time, if nothing found then it starts to get deeper and maybe expensive.

All that said if I had a spare turbo laying around to try.....

Quick Reply: Blowby and oil usage