Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   best programmer for MPG (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/best-programmer-mpg-310720/)

turfguy 03-07-2013 11:42 AM

best programmer for MPG

hey guys & gals,
did some searching with not enough answers. Wondering which programmer nets the best mpg for most situations. I am adding some more to my 99 24v & read I think its the edge max mileage programmer can get you 5-8 mpg? I'm keeping it mild but want to max out my mpg. Motor is stock as far as I know; I'll prob throw a cold air K&N on it & get my gauges put it.
Which brings me to another question- are there any good programmers with mpg settings that have a display screen to monitor the vitals? That would save me from having to get & install gauges if I had it all on the screen... [guitar]
Thanks!

Totallyrad 03-07-2013 12:24 PM

A Honda Civic.:(

SIXSLUG 03-07-2013 05:08 PM

5-8?

Maybe 2-3....

Midnite 03-07-2013 06:34 PM

Agreed--no programmer or box will give you anywhere near 5 to 8 mpg improvement. Even with my injectors, Smarty and taller tires I still only got about 4 mpg improvement total.

Lary Ellis (Top) 03-07-2013 07:58 PM

You want mileage...shave about 5-8 lbs off that right foot ;)

turfguy 03-07-2013 09:58 PM

so, despite the numbers do any programmers have a mpg setting AND have all the vitals on a display?

dubc2323 03-07-2013 10:54 PM

my edge juice with attitude on setting #1 gets 2-3 gpm better. it has a display which you can put 4 readouts from your choice of many. i have egt, boost, tranny temp, and fuel pressure set on mine

robert78.5 03-12-2013 09:34 PM

I installed a Mileage Max , gives me not bad milegae, I just went on a road trip from Manitoba to New Mexico pulling a 16 ft cargo trailer. My engine is stock. I found that it had a bit of struggle going up some of those slight hills through south dakota and Nebraska on 83, of course there was that side wind all day. Just before getting to the top of some hills it would shift out of overdrive, I was running betweeen 70 and 75 mph. I was thinking of unplugging the Mileage Max and see if it would have made a difference on power. Any have experience with this?

supr 03-13-2013 01:38 PM

I have researched this many times. 2-3 is max improvement. Cost, $300+ and some do new injectors.
The easiest way to improve mpg is drop your speed t0 60, maybe 65. These trucks have the airstream of a bick and higher speeds really can reduce mpg.
The K&N filters let in too much dirt. They do little for mileage, either.
Stck with the stock filter for stock applications.
Many of these boxes that do more than timing may cause your VP44 to go out sooner. This subject is debatable, but you can do a search and see for your self.These VP44s are tempormental beasts and many have found they run best left stock. Again, many people we disagree with this statement.
What you do want, if you do not have it, is a FP gauge with a reading fron beteween the FF and VP44. If the lift pump dies, the VP44 is very prone to failure in short order. Rebuilt pumps are $1000 to $1800.
The best improvement you can make to these trucks is slapping on a set of Bilstein shocks, about $240.

pind 03-13-2013 11:38 PM

Lary knows me well enough to support the fact that I am the cheapest bugger on the planet.... and fuel costs in my neck of the woods are insane.

For mileage, here is what I have done.

I run a "stock" 2001 quad cab 4x4. I have some 275 rv injectors in there, 35/40 hybrid turbo, 4" pipe, stock intake, and a couple other things I won't mention, but they don't affect fuel economy.

Single BIGGEST thing you can do, is slow down. Nobody wants to admit it, but there it is. Like the elephant in the living room. Everyone sees it, but they talk around the truth.

The best economy I see with my truck, is at 62 mph. Running on e rated 285/70/17 tires, with proper inflation all around. Now before you tell me that I don't carry anything, it is a work truck. With welder, tools, and other bits of ignorance on board ( myself mostly ) and a tank of fuel, I run between 11,800 and 12,500lbs all the time. This is about the max that the tires want, and really, all I want too.

I can say for sure, that running anything over 2000 rpm on the highway, you drastically increase fuel consumption. The sweet spot for my truck, sits at about 1750 rpm. Hence, 62 mph all day long.

Others will claim good results with a variety of different performance options. I can say, with logs kept of fill-ups and distance traveled, that the mileage numbers I see with this unit haven't varied more than .8 mpg over the life of the truck, from brand new off the lot, to where it sits with 300,000km on the clock.

On the highway, I average 1200km, or 750 miles to 108 litres, or 28.5 USG. You do the math. Sometimes I can be up or down a little, depending mostly on weather conditions ( deep snow, cold, headwinds,crosswinds etc. But that has been the average for the life of the truck. This involves filling the tank to the top of the filler neck every time, and recording the exact odometer readings every time.

Good luck with your choices, and take this with a grain of salt.... I'm cheap.

SIXSLUG 03-14-2013 11:01 AM

^^^That is the best, most reasonable, non bs , write up on realistic mileage attainability, period.

My truck reflects similar traits re: rpm and realistic mpg.

Busboy 03-14-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pind (Post 3172859)
On the highway, I average 1200km, or 750 miles to 108 litres, or 28.5 USG.

Very, very impressive.

SIXSLUG 03-14-2013 11:16 PM

^^^Mine doesn't do quite that well.......

rickf 03-15-2013 10:27 AM

According to your signature you are already running an Edge.? A lot depends on he rear end ratio also, I have 4:10's and cannot get anywhere near Pinds mileage but I can back up the fact that speed costs you fuel. I can run 2200 all day, 65 mph, and get around 20 MPG. I go over that and the bottom falls out. That is with a 4000 lb. truck camper pulling a 10,000 lb. car trailer.

bentwings 03-19-2013 01:42 PM

I've run a Smarty for a good many years. I set on #1 which is for mpg. I think this one sets the timing only not fueling. To me this is the optimum level for the way I drive and the loads i carry. Believe me I've tried all the ranges. I don't need any more power for what I do. Fuel is too expensive to be laying down smoke screens.

It's worth about 2 mpg the last time I checked several years ago.

As noted 2000 rpm is the best range regardless of speed, however never over 65 mph. I have a dually and 4.10 gears so 58-60 mph is the optimum range. I run this where ever I can and use the cruise control all the time except in the winter when it is slippery. I get 19.2 to 19.6 in the winter except when it is very snowy. Sometimes it will drop about 1 mpg in the winter when very cold. 20.4 to 21 in the summer with summer grade fuel almost all the time. I hardly ever exceed 65 mph and then only on the flat and level freeways with a tailwind. Otherwise it is 58-60. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

When pulling the trailer I stay at 55 when ever possible. I try to stay away from 1800 rpm which is supposed to be a vibration thing with the 5spd. I still get about 14-15 with the gn trailer at 10k. I drive very conservatively....it's my money in the tank so I'm a cheapskate. I watch the slow downs and speed very carefully. It's part of driving, also my pocketbook.