Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Backing up steep hill oil puke (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/backing-up-steep-hill-oil-puke-323254/)

1999 duallie 10-14-2015 02:08 PM

Backing up steep hill oil puke

Both my 1999 - 3500 2wd 5.9 and my friends 2001 - 2500 4wd 5.9 puke oil out the breather tube when backing up my driveway. It's about a 50% grade(45 degree angle).

The oil stops coming out at the top while sitting at idle, but it dumps a bout 3 quarts on the way up under boost.

My 1989 2 valve does not do this. Is there a cure?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

Busboy 10-14-2015 03:46 PM

When I bought my 2001 I complained to the dealer that when off road at funny angles I was getting oil out the breather, they offered to install some factory "kit" that would prevent this. Not sure what was involved but they said it was quite a bit of work and would need the truck for awhile. I never had it done as I used the truck as a daily driver, might be worth asking at the dealer though.

Greg Reed 10-15-2015 08:17 AM

Look up Mopar1973Mans breather mod. You basically run PVC pipe from the breather can up along the valve cover, then down the back of the engine. There should be some photos on mopar1973man.com.

Busboy 10-15-2015 11:41 AM

I relocated my puke bottle over by the drivers side headlight using 3/4 inch heater hose but the factory kit the dealer talked about involved something inside the engine.

BarryG 10-15-2015 10:15 PM

Iirc Yes there is an issue with that at over 22deg or something like that. Dodge does have a fix or at least did back then. Some got it done for free some not. Might look at the cummins enviro guard it may fix or help the problem. It takes the oil from the breather tube separates and dumps it back in the oil pan via secondary oil dipstick boss already present on the engine not sure if it could keep up with that amount of oil though

torquefan 10-16-2015 11:14 PM

Yeah, the problem was on the few years of engine where the breather was mounted on the front of the engine instead of the side. I believe there was a service bulletin involving removing the breather from the front and putting it into its previous location on the side of the engine.

Busboy 10-17-2015 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan (Post 3287311)
Yeah, the problem was on the few years of engine where the breather was mounted on the front of the engine instead of the side. I believe there was a service bulletin involving removing the breather from the front and putting it into its previous location on the side of the engine.

My 2001 had the breather on the front so that sounds like it might be it, although it's 15 years ago I seem to remember them saying the front cover had to come off, probably because they replace it with one with no hole in it. At the time they gave me a print out of the work involved, I've looked for it and don't have it anymore but I don't have the truck either.

torquefan 10-17-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3287349)
My 2001 had the breather on the front so that sounds like it might be it, although it's 15 years ago I seem to remember them saying the front cover had to come off, probably because they replace it with one with no hole in it. At the time they gave me a print out of the work involved, I've looked for it and don't have it anymore but I don't have the truck either.

I'm not sure what was involved in adding the breather to the side of the engine. On the 12 valves, it was part of the tappet cover, but I don't think the 24 valves have that cover there.

KATOOM 10-18-2015 03:55 PM

Its not a common problem but for those who do traverse angles steep enough, what happens is the timing gears pick up the mass of oil pooling up front and toss it out the breather vent. It can shove out quite a lot in little time too. Cummins does have a claimed solution but it involves removing a plug by the oil pan so the oil trying to exit the vent has a place to run back into the engine.

Here's a few links which may help.
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Crankcase Vent Modification Cummins 2nd Gen Dodge

EnviroVent Crankcase Ventilation for Cummins Marine Diesels

Cummins Breather Kit/Crank Case Vent - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

1-2-3 10-20-2015 02:39 PM

How about switching to a front hitch and driving the trailer up the hill from the front? Could be handy in other situations.

1999 duallie 10-20-2015 11:05 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I found the TSB, the Cummins parts breather mod kit, and Mopar1973Mans breather mod.

And the "Mopar1973Mans breather mod" seems the least work, most effective and the least cost.

Dealership wanted $700+, Diesel shop was at $280 and I believe Mike's will be about $20.

The TSB mod dumps through a small diameter tube into an existing 3/8" hole in the block, so I believe there would be insufficient drain capacity to work with the amount of overflow capacity I saw/experienced.

Thanks again to everyone.

Here's a hot rod teaser for your viewing pleasure.

20-0020-15.jpg photo - Blair Alderton Photography photos at pbase.com

Peter