24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto trans shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto trans shift problem

While driving yesterday with very little accelerator I noticed at aprox 50 MPH the trans was shifting quickly back and forth. IFIC the trans shifts 1- 2- D then OD lastly converter locking.
I am guessing it was the converter locking up and then unlocking. If I sped up it shifted normally.

Should I re-boot the system by taking off the battery cables overnight ?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2001 is doing something similar, If I don't slowly put in drive and feel detent, it will take more revs of engine to shift into 2nd. What is proper way of setting cables?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck shifts back and forth, back and forth from 40 mph until 50 mph. I'm being told by friends that it's probably one of the pressure solenoids
Old 08-24-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
@crallscars and @dubc2323

Yours sounds like torque converter locking and unlocking.
If you search for AC noise on this site you will find a lot of posts and articles on how to fix the issue.

Cliffnotes: Clean and inspect all ground wires and connections, clean battery poles, check alternator brushes....

@robert78.5
There are no cables involved on the shifter of the Dodge Ram - it's a pushrod. I'd crawl under the truck and have a helper move the shift lever- look for broken/worn/missing bushings first.
Adjustment- shift to neutral, remove shift rod from shift lever on transmission, with shift lever held in neutral adjust so that the shift rod aligns with the shift lever on the trans.

Do not lift truck by the lift points on the cab while doing this! Best to do when the truck is standing on flat ground.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 AM

ya i cleaned all the grounds , rerouted the ground wire that goes by the alternator and that fixed my problems last year, but now it is really getting worse. I'm gonna try to get to the bottom of it later in the year.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:14 PM

@dubc2323

Did you check your alternator brushes?

Dirt cheap and they start showing with AC noise in the system before failing completely, leaving you stranded with empty batteries..
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 PM

not yet, but my alternator is less than a year old ( not saying it couldn't be the brushes ) One thing I forgot to mention is with overdrive off it shifts erratically from 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd from speeds 30 to 40.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:43 PM

To me this sounds much more like the torque converter lockup clutch cycling.

Either you install a lockup switch (for testing) or you can also use a micro-relays and a lamp to watch if you get an intermittent signal from the PCM to the lockup solenoid.
The following users liked this post:
dubc2323 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Crallscars
While driving yesterday with very little accelerator I noticed at aprox 50 MPH the trans was shifting quickly back and forth. IFIC the trans shifts 1- 2- D then OD lastly converter locking.
I am guessing it was the converter locking up and then unlocking. If I sped up it shifted normally.

Should I re-boot the system by taking off the battery cables overnight ?
That is a common problem, and they say it has something to do with poor gounding or poor grounding routing. The computer shifts the tranny, but the poor grounding in the engine compartment causes interference or something like that. To deal with mine ..probably at least once or twice a year,...I turn the key off, then remove both battery negatives. Then turn the key on and lights on (nothing will happen)..this drains the memory in the computer. Let it sit at least 30 minutes (according to dodge,...but me....I usually go an hour). Then turn the key off, turn the lights off. Hook the battery negatives back up. and you are ALMOST done. Now, Get inside your truck, turn the key to the on positiion (but do not start),.. and then slowly depress the accelerator all the way down and back again. Now turn the key back off. YOU ARE DONE. Hope it lasts. One more thing,... If I have to reset my computer more often,...it is usually a sign that my batteries or alternator are getting ready to puke. Please check that also,..because you'll be resetting your computer twice a week if your alternator is acting up.

Ok, That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was doing the same , tried everything above for a temporary fix. What mine ended up being was one of my batteries was 1.5 v lower than the other. Did a battery draw at a shop to find those results. Put in two new ones and stopped altogether . after 3-4 years it did it again . Changed them out and it stopped once again. So, that’s another thing to check . Tranny shop told me it needs a rebuild . Glad I read this forum first .
Old 09-15-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leeboy
Mine was doing the same , tried everything above for a temporary fix. What mine ended up being was one of my batteries was 1.5 v lower than the other. Did a battery draw at a shop to find those results. Put in two new ones and stopped altogether . after 3-4 years it did it again . Changed them out and it stopped once again. So, that’s another thing to check . Tranny shop told me it needs a rebuild . Glad I read this forum first .
See the last line of my post....if you have to deal with that very often it could be a sign that either your batteries or alternator are getting ready to puke. You had one battery that had already puked..apparently.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
These trucks are VERY sensitive to electronic conditions. Batteries MUST be in top notch condition and the same age, size, and condition. All cables MUST be free from corrosion, and all major connections and grounds clean and tight. The alternator must be checked for excess AC voltage and if it is then replacement is necessary. The best type of alternator is hairpin windings too... If any of these items are not in good conditions then it will cause phantom issues and potentially damage to sensitive electronic components.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 PM

i agree. Electronic noise was my problem. my truck just about caught fire yesterday from intake heater being stuck on, with the key off. so my first reaction was to pull the battery cables off and left it overnight. I replaced the heater relay today and test drove it and wouldn't you know it my transmission is shifting perfectly
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Puke
That is a common problem, and they say it has something to do with poor gounding or poor grounding routing. The computer shifts the tranny, but the poor grounding in the engine compartment causes interference or something like that. To deal with mine ..probably at least once or twice a year,...I turn the key off, then remove both battery negatives. Then turn the key on and lights on (nothing will happen)..this drains the memory in the computer. Let it sit at least 30 minutes (according to dodge,...but me....I usually go an hour). Then turn the key off, turn the lights off. Hook the battery negatives back up. and you are ALMOST done. Now, Get inside your truck, turn the key to the on positiion (but do not start),.. and then slowly depress the accelerator all the way down and back again. Now turn the key back off. YOU ARE DONE. Hope it lasts. One more thing,... If I have to reset my computer more often,...it is usually a sign that my batteries or alternator are getting ready to puke. Please check that also,..because you'll be resetting your computer twice a week if your alternator is acting up.

Ok, That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.
I realize this thread is a year old, but is the newest thread dealing with this ongoing issue that actually shares the true fix. So I have been dealing with this issue for way too long. Even after doing everything mentioned by all to resolve the problem, nothing worked. Never heard about this procedure of clearing the computer! My trans is now shifting perfect!! For how long, who knows, but at least I have a new direction to go. My batteries are fine now, but not really sure about the alternator. If it acts up again, I'll remove the 140 amp fuze and verify the problem. I hear people swaping out the brush's instead of replacing the whole unit. Is there a procedure here on how to do it? Are brush's available at a better parts house like Napa?

So a big thanks again to Puke!!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM

The alternator brushes with a procedure to change them are available at fostertrucks.com - I have no affiliation aside from being a very satisfied customer of them.
They also sell contact kits for the starter- rebuild that one and forget about the "life time warranty" from the cheap chain stores.
The OEM equipment in these trucks is really good- and needs wear items after 15 to 30 years to go on again as long.
The following users liked this post:
PJveetwin (08-12-2019)