24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

APPS-- Voltage check and adj. seems to have helped

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APPS-- Voltage check and adj. seems to have helped

I have been having what I considered smoke issues, poor milage, high idle speeds and then one day last week, the dead peddle. The dead peddle was accompanied with a check engine light, got a speed sensor fault (forget the code) and the p01693. Because of the problem with the high idle, I removed the Apps sensor and sprayed it with a electrical cleaner/lubricant/moisture dispersant, reassebled it and tried the apps reset proceedure. The problem returned in about 2 trips and the throttle was very touchy. So I started digging through some old posts. I found one that stated that the apps reset proceedure does not work, that you need to check the voltage output of the apps with the key on, truck not running. My sensor was putting out .403 volts where the tag stated that it should be .595 volts. I adjusted the sensor till I got to .588 Volts (close as I could get after about a half n hour adjustin). Reassembled and started the truck, only took about 30 secs for the CEL to go out. Lost the touchy idle, does not smoke now, will have to wait and see if dead pedle goes away.

THANKS JETPILOT for the proceedure: ( he stated from DTT website )
here it is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESETTING THE APPS SENSOR.
(ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)
2ND GENERATION 24 VALVE TRUCKS ONLY.

LIST OF TOOLS NEEDED

DIGITAL VOLT METER
# 20 TORQUE BIT SOCKET
# 1 PHILLIPS
# 10 MM SOCKET

Proper service and repair procedures are vital to ensure personal safety of those performing the repairs. Standard safety procedures and precautions should be followed at all times to eliminate the personal injury or improper service, which could damage the vehicle or compromise its safety.
Although this material has been prepared with the intent to provide reliable information, no liability is assumed in reliance of this material.

It has come to my attention that a lot of people think by disconnecting & re-connecting the batteries and stepping on the throttle it is going to reset the apps, no, that is not correct. It is impossible to adjust your apps if you do not know where it is supposed to be set at. That is why you need the voltmeter.

This is the procedure I use to re-set the apps.

With the key on, engine off you need to probe the apps wire to see where your voltage is currently set at.
The best location to probe the wire is on the PCM (power control module) which is located off the passenger side of the firewall.

· You want the C1 connector, this is the connector closest to the engine,
· You want the orange wire with the dark blue tracer which is pin # 23
· Voltage should read somewhere around 0.5 volts,
· At this point the voltage reading does not matter, it just has to be accurately written down for later reference.

*** TURN THE IGNITION OFF ON THE TRUCK ***

Resetting the APPS Sensor cont. page 2
(Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor)
2nd generation 24 valve trucks only.

· The apps sensor is located slightly above and a little to the left of the injection pump.

· Remove the black plastic cover that is located by your injection pump.

The two screws that are holding it are plastic, do not put any downward pressure on them or you will never get them off.

· Un do the 6 - 10 mm headed bolts that hold the bracketry in place.
(DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLES)

You will notice the apps is on the back of the bracketry that you just removed, it is held in place by 2 - 20 bit screws. These screws have a little bit of locktite on them so make sure you have a good socket and gently give a little tap with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Be very careful these screws strip very easily and you only get one shot at them.

· On the apps you will find a white tag that gives you the information on what the apps adjustment should be.

· After loosening the screws you can rotate the apps both clockwise and counter clockwise to get the adjustment you need.

· The reading you took at the beginning of the process on pin # 23 should match the white tag on your apps, if not adjust accordingly.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JetPilot has saved folks a lot of money since he posted the cal procedure.
Too bad it wasn't here before I paid my $336 a few years ago.