24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anybody running a TC lock up switch?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anybody running a TC lock up switch?

If you are running one in your 47RE can you tell me when you should switch it on and when to switch it off? Is it only switch on in second gear? Or do you only flip it on when you are in overdrive? I read it will stall the motor when coming to a stop just need to know some things. I am tired of chasing my tail round and round trying to find the in and out surging in overdrive, from 42 to 54. I had the transmission redone with Suncoast parts, grounded everything, tin foiled the alternator wire(black and gold), have a bunch of noise isolators attached in different areas, new IP, New Airdog 165 with big line kit, just got to stop the surging.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do have to turn it off before coming to a stop. What I sometimes do is shift to neutral, come to a stop then shift to drive and take off. My tranny has been having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd and into reverse when cold. Monday morning it's headed to the shop for rebuild. If yours is hunting between 4th and OD, just flip the switch on after you are up to 50 mph and it should shift to OD and stay there.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
hook up the switch through a pair of relays. First supply power to the TC lockup relay through the NO contacts. Have the relay tripped by a momentary switch, and have it remain closed through the NC contacts of a second relay. Power that relay from the brake light circuit. That way when you push the button power trips the relay and juice goes to the TC lockup. But when you step on the brakes the contacts trip open stopping flow to the lockup until you push the button again.
Basically the same setup as cruise control. I'm sure there is a much cleaner setup then I described but it works for me.