24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Problems – Slave / Master Cylinder Issues???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Problems – Slave / Master Cylinder Issues???

I was headed to meet friends for dinner last night and as I was pulling in the parking lot, I had to kill my truck to get it to stop; when I pressed in the clutch, nothing happened. I ended up getting it in a parking sport but clutch is just not present. I can try and start the truck in a gear and with the clutch in, but it will just try to roll forward as the starter turns. Truck starts fine in neutral but I cannot get it in gear. The cylinder reservoir is full of fluid. Clutch pedal feels and sounds like a break pedal when you are bleeding brakes.

I am thinking I need to replace my slave cylinder or master cylinder or both. Other threads make this seem like an easy 1-hour job. What are your thoughts? Truck is still stuck in the parking lot; I will likely have it towed to either our office-shop or my house. I am hoping dropping the tranny is not involved. The picture in my manual is confusing as to the location of the slave cylinder.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Change the whole assembly, it comes pre-bled with master cylinder and slave
the dodge house might be the only place you can get one
Old 05-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Same thing happened to me but it was the piolet shaft needle bearing in the clutch assembly. I replaced the clutch as an assembly with all new parts just 2 weeks ago. Hope your's is only the slave assembly.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah, you gotta replace both the master & slave as an assembly. They say there ain't no way to bleed it. But... Crazy. The Dodge house sells them separately! go figure! I have not done one, but if I did, I would sure try to find a way to bleed it.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM

No input, just signing onto the thread.

RJR
Old 05-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Napa carries the identical master\slave setup for 'bout 150bucks cheaper than Dodge- same oem trademarks and part numbers cast into the plastic housings.

Btw they all bleed themselves, no effort needed..................
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

Peter at southbend clutch sells the hydraulics as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Call Peter

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Peter at southbend clutch sells the hydraulics as well.
I got mine from Peter at SBC. Easy direct replacement, all one piece. took 20 mins to change over. Just call peter and and get it.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Ordered a master/slave from SBC today, hope it's a 20 min. install and the
stocker has a few more days left.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Should be. When I was under my buddy's truck reinstalling his slave cylinder after doing a clutch swap it looked like it was just two bolts on the firewall for the master cylinder, some hold down brackets for the lines, and then the two bolts that hold the slave to the bellhousing.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

I ended up being the master; I went to NAPA and bought a new slave and master ($200) and began the repairs. I had a lot of trouble with the wiring harness on the pedal piston and had lots of trouble with the connection to the master; about a 2-hour headache! I ended up getting it straightened out and was able to get a limp pedal, truck worked but pedal never felt right.

The next day the truck would not go into gear and I noticed fluid on the pressure side of the line from the master to slave. This is an unsual fitting with a cotter pin and a push-pin holding it in place. I never could get a tight fit and after doing some research, I went to Dodge and bought the whole assembly for $230. I replaced the whole thing in less than 45 mins and pedal is good again. Now I have to see if NAPA will accept the return or try to fix the existing setup and keep as a spare. I definitely recommend the whole assembly verse changing out pieces. I would have liked to by SB assembly but I needed to fix it immedialtely.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Wow - good discount from Dodge - I walked in to I-10 and Silber, asked for the assy, got it for 374 bucks, no senior discount, no nada - acted like I was robbing them, at list price
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM

I got it from NW Dodge (290 / 1960); i have always bought from them just because they are close. The slave was not included in the box so i had to go to Katy to pick a full assembly up. The ticket i signed in Katy said it was only $145 but retail/list was $220....ended up being $238 out the door.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Wink slave?master cyclinder

I ended up at Tombal Dodge $236 out the door. Now my problem is the clutch is very spongee. I get in gear very easy (if I pump it once or twice)
I'm almost sure I have a little air. Maybe got it when we put the 2 hoses together ? Any idea on how to bleed the air out ? paul
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM

I think my South Bend replacement was right around $250 with shipping.

Take a good look at it before you put it in the fire wall hole, it clocks in only one way.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems – Slave / Master Cylinder Issues???