Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   adding transmision fluid to your fuel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/adding-transmision-fluid-your-fuel-264188/)

Paul Marx 02-17-2010 03:55 PM

adding transmision fluid to your fuel

I've heard this is bad , but can't recall why help . i told a guy a work about it and he's calling BS

dozer12216 02-17-2010 06:09 PM

ATF is 25% additive that don't burn good.

rattlebox01 02-17-2010 06:52 PM

ATF is a good trick for cleaning injectors in older tractors and other mechanical style injection systems though.

Dr.Dizzle 02-17-2010 07:53 PM

ATF contains friction modifiers as part of the additive package that are beneficial to an automatic transmission. With that being said, ATF used as as a fuel supplement may cause premature component wear and compromise the integrity of the fuel system. I would also caution that ATF can leave ash deposits behind.

johnh 02-18-2010 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle (Post 2705155)
ATF contains friction modifiers as part of the additive package that are beneficial to an automatic transmission. With that being said, ATF used as as a fuel supplement may cause premature component wear and compromise the integrity of the fuel system. I would also caution that ATF can leave ash deposits behind.

also if you want to clean your engine internals add a quart or two to your engine oil[coffee]i used to do that to gassers that were never run on the highway very much.............

SIXSLUG 02-18-2010 12:56 PM

Some guys swear by it others say its bad. I don't run it in mine and never will.

supr 02-19-2010 04:30 PM

As said, ATF contains stuff that does not burn well. It's formulation has proably changed makedly over 20 years. It may burn OK in a GEN1 12V, but do you really want to run anything but straight diesel or maybe a little 2 stroke oil through your VP? They only cost $1000k minimun to change.
AS for the oil additive, that is the dumbest thing I have heard. Thses CI+4 & CJ oils are expensive formulations for these engines. Adding anyrhing will just make them worse, maybe even damaging your engine or sels in it.
The ATF solution goes back to the 70's & 80's as may have been OK then. At this point, he can cause more harm than good in anything but your tranny.
Sticking with what is in the owners manual & what Cummins recommends almost always works best, outside of BOMing, and then, maybe even then.

johnh 02-19-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by supr (Post 2706567)
As said, ATF contains stuff that does not burn well. It's formulation has proably changed makedly over 20 years. It may burn OK in a GEN1 12V, but do you really want to run anything but straight diesel or maybe a little 2 stroke oil through your VP? They only cost $1000k minimun to change.
AS for the oil additive, that is the dumbest thing I have heard. Thses CI+4 & CJ oils are expensive formulations for these engines. Adding anyrhing will just make them worse, maybe even damaging your engine or sels in it.
The ATF solution goes back to the 70's & 80's as may have been OK then. At this point, he can cause more harm than good in anything but your tranny.
Sticking with what is in the owners manual & what Cummins recommends almost always works best, outside of BOMing, and then, maybe even then.

i bought an old ford delivery van that was used only around town for most of it's life and used a lot of oil as a result of the stop and go driving (the rings were gummed up and wouldn't expand when warmed to operating temp)
so i added a quart of ATF and drove it for 500 miles, changed oil ,did it again and the oil consumption pretty much stopped.......the ATF we had in the '70's was really high detergent, so if you had an engine that had lifter noise you would add ATF...............by the way, you probably weren't around at that time[laugh]

J.Suplanski 02-19-2010 09:51 PM

Atf

Ben putting ATF in my fuel tank for the last 15 years! [coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee][coffee] Yes I am a old timer

Paul Marx 02-22-2010 08:23 AM

Oh yea I was around , just not driving yet (49 ) here. I can remember my dad prouring ATF down the carb of his cars. He said it cleaned the carbon deposits out of the motor.

johnh 02-22-2010 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Marx (Post 2708184)
Oh yea I was around , just not driving yet (49 ) here. I can remember my dad prouring ATF down the carb of his cars. He said it cleaned the carbon deposits out of the motor.

we even used it for hand cleaner[laugh][laugh]