24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ABS and Brake light comes on wile driving.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question ABS and Brake light comes on wile driving.

Hello All.
2000 2500 2WD 6 cyl auto crew cab long bed with hydro booster unit.
Wile driving the ABS / Brake light will sometimes come on and stay on until you shut down the engine and restart it.
Sometimes will stay off for weeks at a time.
Replaced sensor on axle (RWSS) and still same issue.
Speedometer works from zero to the legal posted speed limit.
Cruse control work's when lights are off BUT not when lights are on.
Question,
In in searching an online it it appears that that you can retrieve some fault codes from the ECM / PCM?
Where is the connector located for the ECM, Some posts say in the middle under the dash, some say on the left kick panel, some say under the hood?
What does the connector look like?
Some post's say that to access the codes you ground out pin 13 to neg chassis?
Does anyone have the correct location and the procedure?
Thanks in advance.
Arron.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arron,
you might look at your “ABS” module. It may be in the process of failing. Dodge no longer makes the replacement parts for an older truck. You do not need to replace the brake block. That is the controller is an aluminum box, that covers 6 little mushroom looking items that are exposed when the module is removed. There should be 6 screws holding the module to the brake block. You might go to the salvage yard and pull a module from a salvaged truck. Just be sure to get one like your truck. If you have 4X4 then you will need a 4X4 to replace your module. You might even go to YouTube and watch a video on how to remove and repair it. Then reinstall it. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by hhrumph
Arron,
you might look at your “ABS” module. It may be in the process of failing. Dodge no longer makes the replacement parts for an older truck. You do not need to replace the brake block. That is the controller is an aluminum box, that covers 6 little mushroom looking items that are exposed when the module is removed. There should be 6 screws holding the module to the brake block. You might go to the salvage yard and pull a module from a salvaged truck. Just be sure to get one like your truck. If you have 4X4 then you will need a 4X4 to replace your module. You might even go to YouTube and watch a video on how to remove and repair it. Then reinstall it. Good luck.
Thanks hhrumph,
As stated i replaced the Rear Axle Sensor to no avail.
In doing research online found that the brake light switch is also known to be troublesome on these trucks.
That said I got a new one ($16.00) on line and will install it when it arrives (cheep troubleshooting).
Thanks for the reply and If the switch does not correct the issue I will look next at the “ABS module" as you suggested.
Still looking to find how to retrieve the code's and where the access connector is located.
Happy Mopar
Arron.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abs light

Originally Posted by Arron Tate
Thanks hhrumph,
As stated i replaced the Rear Axle Sensor to no avail.
In doing research online found that the brake light switch is also known to be troublesome on these trucks.
That said I got a new one ($16.00) on line and will install it when it arrives (cheep troubleshooting).
Thanks for the reply and If the switch does not correct the issue I will look next at the “ABS module" as you suggested.
Still looking to find how to retrieve the code's and where the access connector is located.
Happy Mopar
Arron.
Arron,
i think you are looking for your “OBD2” port. It is located just to the left side of your steering wheel below the bottom of your dash.
Good Luck.
hhrumph

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 AM

Wink ABS and Brake Light comes on wile driving update

Hello All,
Update as of 03/19/19
Replaced brake light switch as stated in earlier post.
At the same time I disconnected the trailer brake controller at the factory connector under the dashboard (truck has factory trailer wiring harness).
Disconnected the single wire at the foot brake switch.
Have driven truck 50 + miles and so far no ABS / Brake light activation's.
Will drive for another 50 miles and if trouble free I will reconnect the trailer brake controller then drive another 100 miles.
If it is still trouble free then possibly defective foot brake switch.
Will keep ya all updated.
Happy Mopar
Arron.

Last edited by Arron Tate; 03-19-2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Grammar
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (03-19-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 06:17 AM

Wink ABS and Brake Light update

Hello All,
Update as of 04/02/19
Reconnected the trailer brake controller and the emergency brake switch (single wire).
Have driven over 100 miles and so far no lights have come on wile driving.
At this point looks like the defective component was the switch for the brake lights.
Will continue to monitor and update as needed.
Happy Mopar
Arron

Last edited by Arron Tate; 04-02-2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: clarification