24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 cummins 5.9 no start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 cummins 5.9 no start.

Hi guys. Im new to the site. Thanks in advance for some info.

I have a 99 dodge 5.9 cummins. 340 000 miles Automatic transmission. The truck is completely stock.

Here is the issue.
The truck died while driving. Could not get it started. First thing i checked was fuel pressure and it was about 5 psi at the filter housing. I replaced the in tank filter and now i got 30 psi to the injection pump. The truck still didnt start. At this point i decided to change the injection pump with a rebuilt BWD unit. Im aware that low pressure to the injection pump kills these things. The truck still doesnt start but i have fuel coming out of the fuel lines at the head. I checked all the wiring to the injection pump to the ecm. I have my power and ground and all wires are good no resistance and nothing shorted. I figured at this point the truck needs an ecm so i replaced the ecm with a rebuilt one. The truck still has not started.

Now here is the tricky part. If i cut the communication wire either pin 1 or 2 on the injection pump. It doesnt matter. As long as i disconnect that circuit the truck fires up instantly and idles perfect. But i cant rev it up past 1500 rpm. Understandably because the communication wire is cut. But it starts and idles perfect. So at this point i double check My wiring and everything looks solid. I was told its possible its a bad part. They are both rebuilt parts so i understand its possible. So i swap the pump and the ecm a second time. Still the exact same thing. I check my wiring now a 4th time. It all checks out.

has anyone run into this issue before. Now before you guys say there are tons of threads on a 99 cummins no start. I know this has been an on going issue but i havent run into a thread with this type of scenario.

So here i am thinking i changed the computer for nothing. So i plug in the original ecm. And truck wont start no matter what i do. Communication wire on or off it just wont start. So now i know i needed a computer for sure. So just to move it around i threw the rebuilt ecm on and it starts up but only with the communication wire disconnected.

Im lost at this point. Can someone please help me and tell me something i dont know.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It seems you've exhausted yourself and spent more money than you should have. First off, 30 psi is impossible from the in-tank pump. Matter of fact, there are very few aftermarket fuel pumps which will even give you that kinda pressure so you might want to confirm your gauges accuracy. But if its telling you there's pressure, thats important at this stage.

When the truck died while driving, did it simply shut down like you turned the key OFF? Or did it stumble and sputter? That will help explain what happened.

Also, have you checked for codes? You'll need a scan tool since the key trick wont work on your year truck.

Lastly, I'm giving you a link to another forum with some great information and some people who will definitely help. This link is to an article about just what you're asking https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...and-vp44-r135/

Let me know if I can be of any more help.