6 week saga; now oil leak - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6 week saga; now oil leak

Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #1  

6 week saga; now oil leak

Background: have driven this truck over 200,000 miles over a 13 year period with no major engine or tranny probems. Never has used/leaked oil between changes.6 weeks ago,the truck died in the middle of the higghway after a very little sputtering and chugging the week before. To the local Dodge dealership since we 1500 miles from home, towing. They spent and hour and diagnosed it as gunk in the tank and fuel filter housing and then the truck sat for almost 3 weeks. I asked them since they were taking the tank out to replace the in-tank LP with a Raptor FRRP under the hood, which they did. Picked it up a week and $850 later, drove it 8 miles and it started sputtering and chugging again. I started researching online and found that the (original) Injector pump's computer was probably the cause due to heat soak of the non-lead solder (Blue Chip Diesel) and that if it died on you diagnose the IP by pouring cold water on it and waiting a few minutes. So I filled up water jugs and drove it 60 miles before it died again. Poured water on it and sure enough drove it another 10 miles before repeating. Did this 4 times in 60 miles back to the dealership. I told them I wanted to replace the IP with one from Blue Chip with a NEW computer. got it back several days later and drove it 200 miles with no problem, until I fillled with fuel. Fuel ran from the top of the tank when full. Back to the dealership and told them they most probably didn't seal the LP hole. Come to find out they admitted to reusing the (10 year old) seal.d So off with the tank again which I was ****** when they charged me for a new seal. So to test it our again, I drove it 200 miles again and it ran like a charm and didn't leak from the tank. Got a hotel room and the next AM saw fluid under the front of the truck. Oil. Several quarts down. It's now back at the dealership working on the 6th week.
My question (whew): I can't tell where the oil i coming from since there seems tobe a lot just under the IP and back under the truck. Is there something they missed tighening up when the IP was replaced that would cause the oil leak? Can the IP create too much pressure in the motor (I have no knowedge) and cause the seals in the motor to start leaking? Any other suggestions welcomed since it seems that the diesel tech is not competent. $4000 in to it now. BTW, the truck is a stock HO 6 speed manual with a pyro and boost gauges, which both had normal readings. Supposed to leave the Maine campground for Missouri on September 6th.
montemorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #2  

Vac pump seal? That is around there where you are seeing oil....if you clean it really good blast it with baby powder to see where its coming from, it'll show up pretty good....
SIXSLUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #3  

I have an oil leak also after doing a LP and injector pump. Right near where the stock fuel filter was. There’s a plate with a wire plug in it almost looks like it’s coming from there. When I removed the stock fuel filter housing can that cause a leak. There’s also a sensor of some kind there but can’t tell if the oil is coming from it. Took the inner fender skirt off for a better look. Leak didn’t show for weeks after LP work was done. Doe anyone have a suggestion
Mikes3500 is offline   Reply With Quote