24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98.5-02 Exhaust Brake for Automatics...........who's running one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98.5-02 Exhaust Brake for Automatics...........who's running one?

I own a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 47re automatic. My pickup was bought with camper tie-down brackets installed and I would like to haul a slide-in camper someday. The estimated dry weight for the slide-in camper will be around 1500-2000 lbs. I would like extra braking power and wanted to know if the PacBrake or similiar systems are worth the money and performance? I know lots of people with manual transmissions who are running them and love the stopping power for towing. What I really want to know is how effective they are on automatics and who is running one? I would like to hear "real-world" stories of folks using them on 47re equipped trucks and what parts/pieces they bought to make it work. I am looking closely at the PacBrake PRXB C44075. Does this include everything I need, including the controller for automatic lockup using the exhaust brake? I'd like to hear the good and the bad.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
No direct experience with that brake, but the caveat of a turbo-mount brake with that unique bolt pattern is it won't fit when you upgrade to a larger turbo.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
No direct experience with that brake, but the caveat of a turbo-mount brake with that unique bolt pattern is it won't fit when you upgrade to a larger turbo.
Yes, most people choose to buy the "inline" exhaust brake because it has a universal mounting. I don't plan to upgrade my stock turbo. The HY/HX 35 is enough for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the Pacbrake PRXB uses adapters to mate up to your turbo outlet. If you upgrade your turbo, you only need to buy the correct adapter. So it's really a non-issue with the PRXB.

I have an older Pacbrake on my 2000 truck, but the Pacbrake folks are great and really helpful. I'd recommend you give them a call and they should get you all set up with everything you need.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't have one on mine but the general issues I've heard on here is that with an auto is that the TC will unlock at just the wrong time. Search the forums and you should find the threads. The solution most did was to install a manual lock up switch.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:01 PM

I've run a turbo mounted exhaust brake (Jake) since new and also used a AutoLoc from BD to get the TC to lock and stay locked. About two years ago the Autoloc went bad. I sent it back to BD for repair and they sent me back a upgraded one and I could never get it to work right so I took it out and just installed a TC lockup switch and since I only use the brake when towing it does the trick. Just can't space out and forget you have the switch on as you come to a stop it will stall out the engine. Not good on the TC/tranny. Also I have a stock turbo and am happy enough with that but if I did replace it there are hybrid turbos now that can still keep the exhaust brake on the turbo. I LOVE the exhaust brake and I don't even pull that heavy a trailer (21ft) but if I had a fiver or heavy load it would be a must to have IMO.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by rotohead
I've run a turbo mounted exhaust brake (Jake) since new and also used a AutoLoc from BD to get the TC to lock and stay locked. About two years ago the Autoloc went bad. I sent it back to BD for repair and they sent me back a upgraded one and I could never get it to work right so I took it out and just installed a TC lockup switch and since I only use the brake when towing it does the trick. Just can't space out and forget you have the switch on as you come to a stop it will stall out the engine. Not good on the TC/tranny. Also I have a stock turbo and am happy enough with that but if I did replace it there are hybrid turbos now that can still keep the exhaust brake on the turbo. I LOVE the exhaust brake and I don't even pull that heavy a trailer (21ft) but if I had a fiver or heavy load it would be a must to have IMO.
Rotohead,
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. It seems like many people are running a manual lock-up switch that they fabricated themselves. The Pacbrake unit I am looking at includes a controller. According to Pacbrake, the controller is designed to work well and not have any ill side effects like some other brands of controllers. The more reading I do, it seems like I need to increase the line pressure before bolting on an exhaust brake. There is really only 2 solutions for increasing the pressure: 1. Buy the old style BD pressureloc cylinder that externally applies more throttle positioning. OR 2. Buy a good valve body that supplies higher line pressure. Some valve bodies even allow 2nd gear lock-up!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Albino99
Rotohead,
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. It seems like many people are running a manual lock-up switch that they fabricated themselves. The Pacbrake unit I am looking at includes a controller. According to Pacbrake, the controller is designed to work well and not have any ill side effects like some other brands of controllers. The more reading I do, it seems like I need to increase the line pressure before bolting on an exhaust brake. There is really only 2 solutions for increasing the pressure: 1. Buy the old style BD pressureloc cylinder that externally applies more throttle positioning. OR 2. Buy a good valve body that supplies higher line pressure. Some valve bodies even allow 2nd gear lock-up!
I've got both the pressureloc and upgraded VB and the VB is by far the most effective.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rotohead
I've got both the pressureloc and upgraded VB and the VB is by far the most effective.
Is your VB made by BD Diesel? I am wondering which brands offer increased line pressure and 2nd gear lockup?