Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   4 wheel drive? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/4-wheel-drive-227427/)

jj3500 12-23-2008 05:47 PM

4 wheel drive?

Got my truck stuck in heavy snow, 20", today. How do I get my rear end to have both wheels engage to spin? Seldom does it or I have never have known it to do both. Truck is in signature, 01 CTD. 1989 is being sold.

thanks

sheriffav8r 12-23-2008 07:08 PM

Do you have a LSD?

jj3500 12-23-2008 08:33 PM

yeah...sticker said so.

theonlyz 12-23-2008 08:34 PM

where is the sticker if you dont mind me asking. Always wondered if mine was.

jj3500 12-23-2008 08:38 PM

the sticker...when I bought it. the one on the window. the one that makes you go, "holy S..mokes"

biododge1 12-23-2008 08:50 PM

just to make sure, look under hood by the release mech. it gives a breakdown of the equipment on the truck

have you ever changed the diff fluid? if so, did you add the friction modifier. It is possible the clutches in the diff are just worn out

jj3500 12-24-2008 04:10 PM

Is that it? No more information from this whole team of CTD fans?

:(

phox_mulder 12-24-2008 05:00 PM

When's the last time you had the rear diff fluid changed?

Did they put in the correct amount of Limited Slip additive?

There should be a sticker in the glovebox that says you have LS or not, window sticker could be incorrect.

Anyway, I've heard tell that slightly applying the brakes will help get power to both rear wheels, LS or not.
Maybe even applying the parking break 1 click or so.

phox

jj3500 12-24-2008 05:45 PM

I myself did the service. Its new. Additive, yes, its in there. Correct amount as well. I tried that tapping the brake pedal routine. It did not do the trick.

Suggestions....thanks

Busboy 12-24-2008 06:20 PM

I have in the past burned out the clutch pack by getting stuck in deep snow before. Solution was replace the clutch pack and service the oil.

jj3500 12-24-2008 06:32 PM

sounds like it may apply but when I'm stuck, I just don't lay into the gas pedal. I get off it rather quickly. so I'm not sure if that burnt clutch pack is the ticket.

jfpointer 12-24-2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jj3500 (Post 2326490)
I myself did the service. Its new. Additive, yes, its in there. Correct amount as well. I tried that tapping the brake pedal routine. It did not do the trick.

Suggestions....thanks

What kind of fluid did you use? If it's synthetic and you put in the additive, I've heard that it can be too "slippery" and cause the LSD not to work correctly. I have Redline in mine and didn't add any modifier at all--works fine and if it slips a little too much a touch of the brake pedal will usually help out.

Dinner 12-25-2008 11:24 AM

Well if you want to check your clutch pack if you do indeed have a LSD. Get the driver side or passanger side wheel off the ground, only has to be a couple of inches off the ground.

Have the tranny in neutral and head back to the driver side wheel (if this is the side you put up in the air). You should be able to kinda rock the wheel back and forth a couple inches and then try to spin in forward. Put a Little effort into spinning the wheel, it should feel like the wheel is locked (almost like the brakes are being put on slightly). Now put more effort into trying to spin the wheel, the clutches should release and you should be able to spin the wheel.

This way is to see if your clutches are at least somewhat holding.

sheriffav8r 12-26-2008 11:07 AM

From what I understand, synthetic lube doesn't require LSD additive (and it should say it on the bottle). Regular 80W90 or whatever will require a small amount of it. After the change you have to drive around in figure 8's on a field or something to work in the fluid to the packs. You can raise the whole rear end of the vehicle and rotate one tire and the other tire should rotate in the same direction IIRC. With an open diff the other tire will rotate opposite. From what I know the LSD in these trucks is marginal, at best, and only somewhat better than an open diff....

RowJ 12-27-2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r (Post 2327778)
.... From what I know the LSD in these trucks is marginal, at best, and only somewhat better than an open diff....

I disagree. Your Automatic has a Dana 70 rear axle and the LSD is a Powr-Lok version. Very well thought of by those that know. Love mine.

'jj3500' - Good points above. Too much additive will reduce LDS effectiveness. Many better brands (but not all synthetics) already have the additive included. Doing the figure 8's at Walmart parking lot will answer. If you don't get some drag you used too much.
If you want more grab, restack ALL your Dana 80 plates and clutches (You have a Trac-Lok LSD).
Dodge does not alternate them all because they get complaints about too much drag in corners on dry pavement.
If I had a 6 speed, I would do the restack. 2-3 hr job and well worth it.

RJ