24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

coolant heating the fass

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant heating the fass

I knew it was coming for months but now that snow has hit the ground and the streets are wet its time to address the cold starts.
Ive done some searching, but cant find anyone that has done a write up.
??any links???
I had the fass installed and working over the summer, but had bypassed the stock heater and filter assy. reconnecting that should be easy.

I want to use the coolant ports on the Fass and add a 120v inline coolant heater. My question is where is the best location to tap of of the coolant system? The cab heater lines are very short and would require crossing over the engine block, also a very high point in the system. the inline heater i have has 5/8's ports and came with a "y" fitting. the instructions say better operation is achieved by taping in low in the coolant system.

Maybe "T" into the large return hose off the rad?

Anyone done this with the addition of the inline heater?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Figured it out... make it an independent system. got an old motorcycle rad and the inline coolant heater. Only needs to be plugged in for a short time with less than 2 litres of coolant.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Where abouts do you live? I've been through -40 weather with my FASS with not coolant circulating through it with absolutely no issues. You might have warm fuel in the pump, but it won't do anything for the fuel in the tank if it has gelled.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You wouldn't think heating the FASS would give much benefit knowing that the tank has no heating mechanism.

However, as a practical matter heating the FASS is a pretty good idea for several reasons. The first would be that the fuel doesn't all gel at once--it starts in the filter much earlier than the fuel in the tank will gel. Also, most often gelling happens in the fall or early winter when a station is a little late switching over to winter blended fuel, or maybe we parked our truck for a week or two during this time, and when we go to start it up, we do so with a tank of summer fuel in cold temps. These two things can both happen to make it worse.

Normally with good winter fuel and the ability to plug in the block heater, there's not much need for heating the FASS. However, throw in some different conditions like filling up from a station that was late cutting over to winter fuel, or parking the truck during that transition time, and heating the FASS would make a difference.

Mike