Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   2001 HO 245hp swap into 1999 235hp 5spd....some unanswered questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/2001-ho-245hp-swap-into-1999-235hp-5spd-some-unanswered-questions-297405/)

gitchyboy 11-16-2011 11:23 PM

2001 HO 245hp swap into 1999 235hp 5spd....some unanswered questions

After a lot of searching, and some questions answered and some not, I decided to restart this type of thread. Hopefully no highjackers on this one. I have a twice-cracked 53 block, and after two attempts to locknstitch and block brace, the leaks continue to worsen and so I move on to a new(er) engine.

I purchased a 2001 HO motor with 80,000 miles on it today and plan to swap into the truck. There are no 55, 56 etc markings on this block where my 53 stamp is on my old block, so I think I have a good one finally.

Here are the questions:

Which Injector pump and ECM is it easiest to use? I have both complete units. Will the 2001 engine harness mate with the 1999 truck harness?

In regards to the crankshaft and crank position sensor, I popped off the cap (actually broke it) on the 2001 engine to look for a tone ring. There is no tone ring. After reading my haynes manual, it mentions that the tone ring is "bolted to the crank." Does anyone know if I can unbolt this from my 99 crank and bolt to the 2001 crank? or is a crankshaft swap the best route?

gitchyboy 11-18-2011 11:56 AM

One answer found ..... after some further searches on tone ring, crank sensor, and other keywords, I think I have pieced together the crank question. Also, I called Mike Adams and Mike's Custom Truck in Northwood, ND and he confirmed that the 99 crank needs to be put in the new block.

I am going to use the SO pump and wiring harness. Hopefully someone will find this short thread useful in the future.

dw

nothingbutdarts 11-18-2011 02:45 PM

No answers here, just let us know how it turns out when it running!!!

nickg 11-18-2011 07:27 PM

I have only read that that it wont work, because of the lack of a crank sensor in the newer engine....,,,but if swapping cranks you should be golden, you would need the engine harness that goes with the orginal truck. the plugs are also different on the Map sensors, VPs would not make a difference if they are both from either a SO or from a HO,

I believe a SO pump will fit a HO engine but not the other way around(again no first hand info)

Kennys 11-22-2011 05:03 PM

I can tell you from experience that the HO pump won't work on the SO engine. I bought an '01 HO engine for a spare. When my VP44 went out I used the pump from the HO engine. It would run but not very well. Considered installing the HO injectors but decided to put the correct pump on and it runs great.