24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 Dodge No Power Steering or Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Dodge No Power Steering or Brakes

Good day all,

I am looking for some advise on my Dad's 2001 Dodge 3500 with 24 valve 5.9 in it. It also 6 speed manual 2 wheel drive if that matters.

The issue the other day I heard a slight winning coming from the truck when I drove it to town. The whining in the power steering and brake system. Truck would whin when brakes applied and when turning . It was very slight and hardly noticable and went away at higher RPMs. (The truck spends most of it's time parked). The real issue came yesterday when I went to move it. I had no power steering at all and no brakes.

Me being me I just automatically assumed the power steering pump when **** up so I had a guy come out and replace it. ( I know very expansive however my Dodge with all my tools is in the shop currently so I had no tools to work with).

Short story long replacing the power steering pump did not solve the issue. Upon further incesinvestig this morning I have discovered that the fluid in the power steering pump dows not move at all while the engine is running. I even disconnected the pressure line coming from the pump and had nothing with truck running.

My question could the system possibly be air locked or should should I move towards the vacuum pump and forward. I am not very familiar with this engine. All I have had so far are the 6.7s. I have been reading on the threads here and haven't quit found the path I am looking for yet.

Any advice, criticisms, and suggestions are highly appreciated. Fingers crossed I will have my truck and tools back from the dealer tonight . Thanks for your time the support.

Rex

Last edited by Rexof345; 02-21-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 02-22-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well, these trucks are quite "simple"- the power steering hydraulics are not connected with anything electronic or vacuum controlled.

I would doubt that the work ( replacing PS pump) was performed properly.
So:
Step one:verify fluid level in the PS reservoir
Step two: check the "wiring" (the hoses) for correct connections.
Step three: Check the pump for output (looks like you have done that- with a negative result- therefore do steps one and two)

Please report back.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Sounds like air in the hydro boost.....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 AM

So I double checked all the lines fluid ect. I even jacked the front end of the truck up and manually steered it left to right 40 times to see if there was possible air in the lines. I did have to add maybe 1/3 of a quart during this. I started the truck and continued to steer it while it was lifted. I got minimal fluid movement in the reservoir while doing this. And the brakes are still hard as a rock.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if it is the vacuum pump or what's the easiest way to make sure that I have shaft rotation to the power steering pump?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Just remove the main vacuum line from the vac pump, start truck and use finger to determine if there is vacuum. (I think there won't be any) -
Even simpler - choose any setting but defrost on your AC and see if it blows out of the correct vents. If it does there is vacuum, if not... see above.

And no fluid out of the pressure port of the pump- either defective pump or installation completely bungled.
Just remove the 4 nuts holding the PS pump to the vacuum pump, the 2 hoses and pull the PS pump backwards. should come out quite easily. Manually turn the shaft of the PS pump with the pressure hose removed- you should see fluid being expelled.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM

I wish I would have seen that post earlier lol. I pulled the vacuum pump and power steering pump as one unit. The vacuum pump is leaking a bit so I will get the seal kit and rebuild it while it's out. But I think I found the problem. Looks like when they installed it they didn't get the shaft lined up. Bungled install. Hopefully I can get some of money back. Why I like doing things myself. Will report back when she's all back together. Here's a couple pictures please let me know what you all think.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Take a lot of pics of the innards of your vac pump. By tightening the bolts with this misalignent and then running it they may very well have destroyed the vacuum pump, maybe also bent the case of the ps pump or pushed the shaft of the ps pump backwards so hard that the ps pump is also damaged.
I would demand a full refund for the parts and the work plus a new vacuum pump, and install all new components.. You do not want metal shavings in the steering valves or the brake booster hydraulic valves.. there can be bad consequences.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 PM

I do see metal shavings in the vac pump. I can't really get any good pictures. Do you think it would be safe to try and clean it up and put all new seals and orings in it or? The PS pump definitely has signs of wear on the shaft and is mushroomed out a bit.

I talked to the guy that did the install and of course he is like he did it right blah blah. No I am worried about the vac pump and the PS pump. I can clean them up and put it back together but I don't want to have to do this again.

I am thinking minimum I am gonna replace the PS pump. What are your thoughts on the vac pump. Specifically the metal piece inside it I don't think that comes with the rebuild kit.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 AM

The PS pump is a goner if you have visible deformation. The only lucky part of that story is that the PS pump did not turn and did not distribute metal shavings through your power steering and brake booster.
The vacuum pump is not that critical- any debris of it will just go into the engine oil sump, but this should not lead to loss of control of the vehicle, only a lot of $$ and time in the case the vacuum pump is bent or damaged by the buggered install. The vac pump in these trucks does control only vent selectors for the AC, cruise control if vehicle has auto trans, 4WD if equipped.

If the housing or the rotor of the vacuum pump are damaged you will not get good vacuum, and the systems mentioned above will not perform correctly.