24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st gear and overdrive missing

Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1st gear and overdrive missing

Was pulling out of a driveway this morning and put it in drive , and kind of had a abnormal jolt. Took off and noticed it sluggish. Went through the gears and found that 1st isn’t there as well as overdrive. Scanned it and ( I forgot the code) but it did say governor pressure solenoid problem . Called Dodge to get a part number , and they gave me 4617210 . Called the local parts store and they crossed it to a 4617213 BW https://www.dieselperformance.com/sh...47re-48re-8217
The more reading I did today, it said to change the other solenoid with it. . Dodge said the other one was a 52118500
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...47re-auto.aspx.

Nobody has the 2nd part in stock . Can someone verify what 2 parts or maybe just the part that I need ? Or does this problem sound a lot worse than a solenoid ? Thanks .
Old 10-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your relays!! Mine did the same thing with the same code I’m pretty sure when my relay was shot
Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM

Thanks for your advice . May I ask what relays ? I checked codes and “ governor pressure transducer fault “ came up . I changed both the sensor and solenoid , and it never fixed it . If you could help me with what relays , that would be awesome. Thanks again .
Old 10-14-2018, 10:10 PM

It’s under the hood in that fuse box from what I recall it said transmission on the cover, i will check for you when I am closer to my truck in the morning
Old 10-14-2018, 10:12 PM

Right on man , thanks so much once again for the quick reply
Old 10-14-2018, 10:15 PM

I will actually try to take a picture and up load it if I can figure out how haha
The following users liked this post:
leeboy (10-14-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
@leeboy-

since you changed the sensor and the solenoid the problem is likely to be in the wiring between the PCM and the sensor.
I would start with the plug on the transmission, it has a hard life of heat, humidity, road salt etc.
Then I'd check the wiring loom up to the PCM connector, if you have a service manual you can simply check the wiring with an ohm meter.
leeboy (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:42 AM

All I had time this morning was to look for the relay before work. I found the transmission relay and changed it with another but that didn't solve the problem unfortunately. Two other pieces of info I found out this morning. 1st one ... if I go from neutral directly to 1st... my first gear works . 2nd...when I'm in drive no matter what speed I'm going at, and hit the accelerator down , I don't get any auto upshift, just stays In drive only .
Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM

I took a look under the truck after work , all I could see was a two prong plug with 3 wires attached to it . I unplugged it and plugged it back in . As well as wiggled the PCM plugs around a bit . Couldn’t quite figure out how to unclip em and didn’t want to break the plug . I did notice also my two vacuum lines attached above the skid plate are pretty loose so I zip tied em on a little snugger .
Old 10-15-2018, 07:11 PM

I’m just going to throw this in also .... I did change my TPS a week or two before and was having problems setting the new one . Any chance this could cause some weird voltage communication if it was out ?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 AM

You will need to look into the solenoid case connector. The Park-Neutral switch is there for the starter inhibit and for the reverse lights. The other connector goes to the PCM and carries the power supply for the sensors (governor pressure, temperature), their signals, and the solenoids (Governor Pressure, O/D and TC Lockup)
If left to it's own devices (unplugged) the 47RE will have a governor pressure that puts it in 2 if you select D, and the pressure will not rise with the vehicle speed because there is no power to the solenoid.
Also if the sensor does not supply a plausible value the PCM will effectively "unplug" the transmission.

The TPS should not be able to get the transmission to mess up that bad without also affecting throttle reaction of the engine. If the TPS is not adjusted you get a bad 3-4 shift timing and lockup operation (does not respond correctly to the accelerator pedal), but for gears 1-3 in D the TPS is not needed. There it's just throttle valve pressure against governor pressure.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlpineRAM:
leeboy (10-16-2018), nothingbutdarts (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Do you think since I put in new sensors, I should try unplugging the batteries and let the computer rest! Also, which plug of the 3 on the pcm goes to the tranny 8 pin plug ? Thanks for the last reply Alpine.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Hi leeboy,

I do not remember the answer to your question on which plug on the PCM even for my truck... hence the recommendation to buy the factory service manual for your truck- only 35 US$ for the CD version... much better than inaccurate but well-meant info from a forum...
(I bought it in print for 100 US$+shipping -another 95€- still the best investment I ever made!)

Anyways, a visual inspection of the plug and the wires will give you a much better idea- even if it just rules out a chewed off wire..
If you find the problem be glad- if you can definitely rule out something- rejoice!
leeboy (10-16-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 AM

I got to my buddies shop who has a nice snap-on scanner . We plugged it in and went for a drive.
The code P0753- “ Transmission 3-4 Solenoid Curcuit - trans 3-4 shift solenoid /trans relay circuit “
“Code sets when current state of output port for OD solenoid is different than expected by PCM “
We cleared it And kept driving and it came back . The first day it stumbled , we scanned it and the governor pressure transducer error came up . This one is new now. His scanner also showed the governor pressure sensor “ pressure” to be pretty good and close to the desired pressure .

I googled the code and I found a member on the other site with what sounds like the same problem in this thread
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ired-long.html.
Guess I’m opening up the pan for a 3rd time .: ( after doing the ohm test of course)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:55 AM

Do the fuse and relay test first... might be something that simple.

Do not drop the pan at first, use the solenoid connector on the transmission to check the ohms of the solenoids. (If good you know it's the wiring outside the trans, if bad you need to drop the pan and go in there.)
leeboy (10-18-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st gear and overdrive missing