24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

02 2500 cummins 4x4 light stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 2500 cummins 4x4 light stuck on

My 4x4 stopped working so I researched it a bit and found a vacumn line poped off just under the transfer case . Once I reconnected it the 4x4 works . Now the light won't go off when I take it out (auto tranny). The 4x4 does disengage , but the light stayed on . From my research I believe that vacumn motor may be stuck ? It looks kind of coroded.

My worry is I need some new tires . My front left has alot more tread than my front right . Is it possiable the front axel is locked in and the tread imbalance is damaging the front axel housing gears ? Should I worry about it ?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
When you turn, does it feel like the front end is hopping? You can usually tell if the front is locked in.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You need a good wheel alignment
Old 12-14-2016, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
You need a good wheel alignment
The reason for the tread differance is it is a spare , my . my driver side tire blew out halfway through its life , and my spare was brand new.

the 4x4 Deffinatly turns off . did not know if the axel could be locked but somthing in the transfer case unlocks when I shift out of 4x4?

I guess , what I don't understand is why the light is staying on?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I think it is at least semi correct. When you put it in 4x4 the transfer case redirects vacuum to the front axle (there is vacuum at the front axle all the time what is switched is which port on the valve at the axle is using/getting it). When in 4x4 the vacuum is switched and instead of holding the collar in place it slides it over to engage the collar with the axle I believe the action of sliding the collar activates/completes the connection for the light so it could be the collar has disengaged the axles but perhaps not slid back enough to terminate the light circuit. It may not be the actual shift collar that activates the light but the general mechanism that slides the collar which is in that chunk of housing on the pass side top of the axle as that is also where the light switch is)

pic may help a bit
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/cad_mechanism.jpg
Old 12-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by O.fO.shO
My 4x4 stopped working so I researched it a bit and found a vacumn line poped off just under the transfer case . Once I reconnected it the 4x4 works . Now the light won't go off when I take it out (auto tranny). The 4x4 does disengage , but the light stayed on . From my research I believe that vacumn motor may be stuck ? It looks kind of coroded.

My worry is I need some new tires . My front left has alot more tread than my front right . Is it possiable the front axel is locked in and the tread imbalance is damaging the front axel housing gears ? Should I worry about it ?
Sounds like you either installed the vacuum lines backwards which is now keeping the CAD engaged while in 2wd. Or the CAD is merely stuck. Reversing the vacuum lines while the engine is running will answer that question. You also may need to roll the truck a slight amount to relieve any pressure on the front axle so it disconnects.

And the suspension on these trucks is notorious for such tire wear issues. You have to rotate at least every 5k miles and make sure everything is tight and in good working order under the front end. That said, the alignment would have to be WAY off for that kinda wear too because with a solid axle using conventional recirculating ball pitman arm system will want to keep both tires pointing forward the same. Meaning, if one tire is knocked out of wack then it would simple cause an extreme toe in / toe out situation effectively wearing both sides.