Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   01 auto no od & lu untill trans temp sees above 190 but can manually hit with switche (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/01-auto-no-od-lu-untill-trans-temp-sees-above-190-but-can-manually-hit-switche-330570/)

Tyler0702 07-11-2018 07:36 PM

01 auto no od & lu untill trans temp sees above 190 but can manually hit with switche

My 2001 cummins with 47re sometimes shifts 1st 2nd and 3rd... 2nd is rite on top of 3rd also. And i dont have overdrive or lock up UNLESS my tranny temp gauge sees 190 degrees and above. I can manually hit 4th and lock up with switches at any temperature. What would cause this???
Also everytime i go to check trans fluid ( yes running in neutral level ground) it is dry. I fill it back to safe then about a week later its dry again. There is no leak of trans fluid under truck anywhere. I've read it could be going into coolant but coolant is pure green no trans fluid there. When pulling trans dip stick it doesn't smell burnt either... PLEASE HELP!!!

AlpineRAM 07-12-2018 12:26 AM

I'd take a look at the trans temp sensor- either with a scan tool, or a DMM.
Maybe the PCM sees the tranny fluid a lot colder than it is and keeps you in the transmission warmup program.

If your truck is 4WD the fluid could leak back into the transfer case, overfilling it and damaging it. Check the level in the transfer case.

Tyler0702 07-12-2018 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3350552)
I'd take a look at the trans temp sensor- either with a scan tool, or a DMM.
Maybe the PCM sees the tranny fluid a lot colder than it is and keeps you in the transmission warmup program.

If your truck is 4WD the fluid could leak back into the transfer case, overfilling it and damaging it. Check the level in the transfer case.

yeah good point i will check that out in the morning.
i never thought about the fluid going back to the tcase i will have to check that in the morning also. If it were going to the tcase what would cause that? Thanks for the reply i appreciate it!

AlpineRAM 07-12-2018 12:58 AM

The output shaft of the OD housing has a seal that can fail. Normally there is a drip-hole between the trans and transfer case, but I saw them plugged by dirt and by RTV... (As a "solution" for a visible drip of ATF on the ground..)

Nevertheless, an overfilled transfer case is very bad.. ( oil can foam and you can gall the bearings and planetaries in there in short order)

Tyler0702 07-12-2018 01:02 AM

Gotcha! Yeah i have no leak so i will check level and check the little hole there. It makes sence that it is probably going there since i have no signs anywhere else.

AlpineRAM 07-12-2018 02:15 AM

I once had a leak at the trans cooler in front of the radiator. Lost quite a bit of fluid, but it stayed almost invisible because it got distributed by the fan.

Tyler0702 07-12-2018 04:54 AM

Hmm maybe i could? I did just have a bad leak out of the exchanger rite at the fitting so i replaced them with different lines. Haven't seen nothing out of there. (It does leak a bit of oil from rear of left side motor, not sure if its the tappit or when someone took off stock lift pump took bracket off and left hole open rite below tappit, havent looked at it yet.) But if the trans fluid was getting slug around by the fan i wouldnt be able to tell.

As for the trans temp sensor, it is in the pan? Part of the od solenoid?

is there anyway to tap wires ( switch, resistor) to make the pcm think its at temp? Just to see if that could be the problem before replacing it?

AlpineRAM 07-12-2018 07:43 AM

With a piece of white shop or kitchen paper you can dab at the oily part of the engine and look at the color of the oil that gets wicked away from the part.
Compare with adab of the fluid you want to check for with the same paper.
(But rear left side let's me assume not trans fluid at the location)

If you remove the pan and look at the governor pressure sensor and it has 4 wires- then it has the integrated temp sensor. If 3 wires the temp sensor is in the wiring harness inside the trans.

From the outside:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...45f84bf4bd.jpg

Sorry I don't have the correct values t check voltage output on pin 8 against true transmission temp .. Should be in the FSM for your year.

DVD version of the Factory Service Manual should run you around 35 US$, worth 10 $ on every cent you pay. :cool: