24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

**need advise ASAP! 2001 Cummins 6 speed trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**need advise ASAP! 2001 Cummins 6 speed trans problem

I'm going to look at a 2001 dodge 3500 5.9 2wd with the 6 speed trans, the guy that owns it says he was driving it then parked it to sell it, then he got in it the other day and it didnt want to go into gear, so he shut it off and it will go into gear but hesitated to go into fifth then he said he gave it some more gas and it went into gear. He says the trans is fine it's the clutch. But idk. I really want the truck but dont wanna have to have the trans rebuilt.$$$$ It has the 5600 trans is what I told. What do y'all think. Thanks
Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Bad hydraulics in the clutch cylinder could do it, as could a bad clutch or worn "synchros" (not right term for 5600)
If it's a nice truck use it as a bargaining chip, I'd figure 4 grand for clutch, hydraulics and rebuild....
Old 10-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Bad hydraulics in the clutch cylinder could do it, as could a bad clutch or worn "synchros" (not right term for 5600)
If it's a nice truck use it as a bargaining chip, I'd figure 4 grand for clutch, hydraulics and rebuild....
I don't want to have that much in it, cause im trading my perfect running truck for it. You think I can get away with putting a clutch in it. Im going to test drive it now and try to float it threw the gears if it does that thrn the trans is prolly ok right?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hard to say without driving it, most likely would figure for whole new clutch setup minimum. See what kind of oil is in the case if possible.

Quick run through the gears would be helpful, so long as you are confident you can shift cleanly with no clutch.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
Hard to say without driving it, most likely would figure for whole new clutch setup minimum. See what kind of oil is in the case if possible.

Quick run through the gears would be helpful, so long as you are confident you can shift cleanly with no clutch.
I think im gonna get it. I went and drove it and the throw out bearing is screaming when I press the clutch in. But i got it to go into gear and drove it up the road and floated it through the gears without the clutch and it shifted perfect and pulled great in all the gears with no slipping. So im guessing it's the throw out bearing and clutch. It feels like its not engaging all the way when I push the clutch in. I moved the 2 floor mats and it helped a lot
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Dont short yourself the opportunity to fully investigate the situation because, as already pointed out, to rebuild a 5600 is around $3500. A clutch is going to run between $500-$1000 depending on what you get (I responded to your clutch thread too).

I'd drive it and confirm shifting action is fine. Not notchy or making any odd or unfamiliar noises. The 5600 is notorious for lubrication issues if the fluid isnt totally full so check the fluid level for height and condition/color and any metal flaking. Even at that, its advised to overfill the 5600 a quart or two.

Depending on miles, did the owner change the fluid? If so, what did he use?

If any question on any of what everyone's suggested then use that as a leverage for negotiations.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Dont short yourself the opportunity to fully investigate the situation because, as already pointed out, to rebuild a 5600 is around $3500. A clutch is going to run between $500-$1000 depending on what you get (I responded to your clutch thread too).

I'd drive it and confirm shifting action is fine. Not notchy or making any odd or unfamiliar noises. The 5600 is notorious for lubrication issues if the fluid isnt totally full so check the fluid level for height and condition/color and any metal flaking. Even at that, its advised to overfill the 5600 a quart or two.

Depending on miles, did the owner change the fluid? If so, what did he use?

If any question on any of what everyone's suggested then use that as a leverage for negotiations.
I went and drove it and it shifts perfectly without thr clutch. So im assuming it's the cluch and throw out bearing. Whatcha think
Old 10-27-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Throwout bearing has very little to do with shifting and engaging into gear from a stop. The pilot bearing is most important with engagement from a stop and overall clutch disc and pressure plate wear will affect that as well.

Driving along typically and shifting OK is generally a sign that the transmission is doing well. But I would still take the time to check the fluids condition and level.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Throwout bearing has very little to do with shifting and engaging into gear from a stop. The pilot bearing is most important with engagement from a stop and overall clutch disc and pressure plate wear will affect that as well.

Driving along typically and shifting OK is generally a sign that the transmission is doing well. But I would still take the time to check the fluids condition and level.
It shifts perfectly without it. Its just hard to gEar when running. But is easy when shut off
Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Throw out bearing is always engaged in 5600, I'd take a serious look at the hydraulics and fluid level/type to be safe.
If overfilled, you'll get a face full out fill plug, if not dip finger in and smell it. if it smells like gear oil, you got problems. Correct fluid should look like pancake syrup, but thinner....