1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Winsheild Wipers dont work. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Winsheild Wipers dont work. Need help.

I recently bought a 91.5 D250 Cummins 5 speed 2wd. The truck sat under a barn for 5 years. I just found out the wipers will not work. The washer works and the fuse is fine. I tried running a ground wire from the wiper motor case to the battery to see if it was the ground. No luck with that. The two wires that go into the motor are getting power when the wiper switch is turned on. Both wires are positive. No power with the switch off. I unplugged the harness from the motor and plugged it back in a few times to see if that would help.

A few times I did get a small jump on the volt meter when turning the switch on. The wiper motor housing did get warm. The motor is not running. The bushings in the wiper arms seem to be good. I even beat on the motor to see if it would help.

Am I missing anything else to check? I am guessing the motor is bad. I would think if it was the wiper arms binding, the motor would blow the fuse.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Grant, I just went thru the same scenario. Purchased an 80% mint truck that just sat underneath an oak tree for years. Reservoir pump for the WW fluid worked. All controls from the multi function switch/stalk worked. Ended up being the wiper motor. Picked a reman up from Orileys, I believe it was like $60 with a $15 core charge. Later that evening, I saw that you can buy NEW motors thru Amazon, for a few bucks cheaper. That's the route I would go, if I had to do it again.
One of the 3 bolts attaching it to the firewall is a bit of a pain to access, the one on the drivers side. It's smothered by a electrical harness, and the fluid tubing. Keep a magnet close by to catch it as it back out.
You would think that you would need to remove the cowl to access the motors driveshaft, to disconnect it from the wiper linkages. You do not need to remove the cowl. If your careful, you can disconnect and reconnect the motor shaft to the linkage by slowly backing the motor out after you remove the three bolts attaching it to the firewall.
Job took me about an hour, taking my time.
If you choose to remove the cowl, then it would be a good time to swap in new linkage bushings. Those can be found at any parts store, in the HELP section. If you do a search on here on wiper bushings, there's a post that puts out the part numbers and the amounts you need. I want to say you'll need around 6 bushings, but I could be mistaken. That post also instructs on how to swap in the new bushings. Good luck with that
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks! Rock auto has the motors in the $40 range. I only saw reman on amazon about the same price.

My truck is a liitle beat up as it was a farm truck on a dairy. Overall, its in good shape. No fluid leaks and the interior is in good shape. Needs paint on the roof and good. Factory a/c works too!
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant31781
Thanks! Rock auto has the motors in the $40 range. I only saw reman on amazon about the same price.

My truck is a liitle beat up as it was a farm truck on a dairy. Overall, its in good shape. No fluid leaks and the interior is in good shape. Needs paint on the roof and good. Factory a/c works too!
I stand corrected, LOL! I surely thought the ones on Amazon were new, not reman. Thanks, Grant.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-14-2017)