1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Where does the jack go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Where does the jack go?

I feel awfully stupid not being able to figure this out, but can someone send me a picture of how the tire jack is supposed to mount under the hood? When I got the truck, the jack was behind the seat, and I just can't for the life of me figure out how it squeezes in between the overflow tank and the air cleaner -- I think some hardware may be missing, or maybe I have the wrong jack.<br><br>On a similar note -- what have you all done to avoid sticky steering wheel syndrome? I hate the regular wheel covers that you can buy -- any successes with aftermarket wheels, or how about some sort of renewing paint?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Alec
Old 02-04-2003, 06:54 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Where does the jack go?

Alec,<br>On my 92 the jack is stored on the front right (passenger side)<br>under the radiator overflow bottle. I have talked to a number of first gen truck owners who couldn't find the jack.<br>---<br>Al
Old 02-05-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the jack is under the overflow bottle standing upright with a Bracket that bolts it to the Radiator support. The shaft that jacks the jack up resides on the passenger fender just below the hood. I have never used it so I just took mine off, it stopped a rattling sound I had underneath the hood.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on getting a welder in the nearfuture. Then I am planning on building a heavy duty bumper with mounts to hold a high-lift jack horizontally. This will also help protect the front end from critters, just add a little grease onc in a while. I have also seen this done with a rear bumper and a headache rack. A high lift can be nice as they can be used as a come along too.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks -- that is where I thought it went, but the bracket/clamp must be gone . . . Just curiosity / frustration.<br><br>If somebody could post a picture of a stowed jack, though, I would appreciate it.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Alec<br><br>PS The high lift (or &quot;farm jack&quot; as we used to call them) is certainly a useful tool. I try not to leave home without a shovel, chain, jack and come-along . . .