1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Where can I buy a valve guide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I buy a valve guide?

I to pdp today about my head that was damaged in shipping. They said that they were trying to find a new guide to put in the head because the valve was bent so bad in shipping. He said they are having trouble finding one anybody know where I can buy one?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
you should be able to locate through engine rebuild suppliers, ive rebuilt a couple high milers, and guides were still good, so maybe necessity/demand is low, if cummins parts distribution cant help, ive made my own out of different metals, a local machine shop can do the same, with a representative to identify correct metal, sorry to hear about your demise, THAT SUCKS!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM

I would think any machine shop that rebuilt heads would have access to them. Several years ago parts store could have gotten them but now they look at you like a deer in the headlights for something that they dont sell 10,000 a year of. Good luck!!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Try Jeff at Mumau Diesel.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Was it you own head?

Why are they trying so hard to keep from replacing it with another one since it was their fault?

I would always be afraid there was some other damage they missed and seize a valve sometime when I was on vacation

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys. Jim I am not happy at all with the whole situation I will never buy from them again that is for sure. They say they are having trouble locating a new one lol...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Tell them to send you a new head. If it was damaged in shipping why isn't the shipper paying for it?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII via tapatalk
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM

They already ported and polished the head I don't really want to wait for them to do that again.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Man I hope they are kicking you some coin back! I'm ****** for you, and its not my truck sitting in the barn. Thank you for posting this so others don't do business with them. How long have you been waiting so far?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM

I ordered the head in the middle of march. They told me it would not ship till the last week of april. The head did show up 1 week early but that did me no good because it was damaged. They actually told me that I had to wait my turn in line again for the machine shop to fix it. I said I already waited my turn in line and you guys packaged it very poorly and as a result it was damaged. They said the machine shop does not care that it was damaged and would not put a rush on my job. I have not been treated well at all by pdp.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Blows my mind that a performance shop that does head work would even admit they cant get parts. I could understand if you let one of the box store clowns do this but a real shop mmmm. I think its getting worse on customer service from most fronts. Makes you wish for the money and knowledge to do it all so that no one but yourself is to blame for screw ups. Good luck on it!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.agkits.com/cummins-4b-4bt...lve-guide-1408 277.aspx

the Google machine seemed to work fine. who are these pdp clowns? they are obviously incompetent on many levels. at the bottom of the page posted above there are cross reference part numbers for elgin, federal mogul and pioneer. these parts can be sourced through any parts store, summit racing, a big engine parts warehouse like epw or through a competent machine shop. I would advise you to take the head to a local machine shop and have them perform the necessary repairs. also have them look over the head and work performed by these pdp clowns in its entirety. then send pdp a bill including reasonable additions for your fuel and time for the unnecessary extra handling due to their poor packaging/handling of the situation. I would be interested to know what work pdp did and what they charged for it. below is a link found on page 1 of the same Google search used above for a shop that looks to be a professional shop never done business with them or even heard of them but its worth a look. I am sure they are better than than pdp.

http://c-techperformance.com/cnc-hea...-turbo-diesel/
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I got into a bad partnership with a man that ticked off his suppliers so bad by not paying his bills that I couldn't buy parts from them for cash on the barrel head. They just plain wouldn't deal with us. This sounds like a similar situation to me.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It's sad to hear the poor customer service of pdp... I ordered some stuff from them back in late 2011 and everything was great. I guess when you get big, you get careless and less customer satifaction oriented.

c-tech, although I've never personally dealt with them, seem to be of the highest in regards to head performance porting and such, and their pricing is good too.

When I get a ported head I will be dealing with them.

I actually found a thread last night on another forum made by an employee (or owner idk which) from 09-11 talking about getting their c&c machine up and running and getting the program written for the cummins 12v head. it was interesting.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I ordered the head in the middle of march. They told me it would not ship till the last week of april. The head did show up 1 week early but that did me no good because it was damaged. They actually told me that I had to wait my turn in line again for the machine shop to fix it. I said I already waited my turn in line and you guys packaged it very poorly and as a result it was damaged. They said the machine shop does not care that it was damaged and would not put a rush on my job. I have not been treated well at all by pdp.
Poor customer service.

They should have purchased another head for you and sent it out ASAP. That would have been the right thing to do, but I guess they're not thinking that way, huh ?

Fixing a damaged head isn't right, IMO. Replace and eat the cost of the bad head, or file a claim with the shipper and be done with it (them,not you)

Quick Reply: Where can I buy a valve guide?