1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wheel Simulators - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Simulators - Need Advice

I bought the Summit wheel simulators about 3 or so years ago, and have been happy with their ability to stay put and not lose any of the lug nut covers. Below is a link to the ones I bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G11665/

These are the ones that the big cover goes behind the lug nuts along with a retainer ring, and the retainer ring is what holds the lug nut covers on. In theory, best setup right? Well, I'm wondering if there is something better - my main concern is the fact that it takes a prybar to get the covers off, and that usually results in scratching the covers, and to get the lug not covers back on requires a decent amount of beating and banging, which has them all bent up over time.

Not to mention I've noticed the finish seems to not have been all that polished to begin with, and now is really dull.

Any links to anything anyone else has tried and had good success with?

Thanks!

EDIT - forgot to mention I found these - I like the idea of being able to remove the center caps with two screws.

http://www.pacific-dualies.com/produ...ge_39-1608.php
Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I've got the Summit ones and I agree with your complaint about getting the center cap off - it's a pain and one of mine is pretty mangled. They do sell spare parts, so you can buy just that cap if you want. The finish on mine still looks good, maybe you got a lousy set. I think I've had them 5 years.

I had the one piece setup originally, and I still do on the rear. I lost the front ones within a week, so I don't recommend them. The rears walk around, but they have never tried to part company with the truck.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
The ONLY simulators I will use are held captive BEHIND the stock nuts, with NO center-cap/cover whatsoever.

The factory nuts themselves get individual chrome caps that are resistance/friction fit.

These simulators/covers come with big dome center-caps that are also captive BEHIND the factory nuts, but any smart trucker will shun their use, preferring the rear axle-flanges remain visible.

I have reason to deal with ALL sorts of various wheel-covers in my day-to-day business.

Many are far too involved, requiring such non-sense as Allen wrench screws that retain the caps, and all manner of purpose-built trinketry to hold everything onto the stock wheel.

Most are a complete nightmare; which is why I demand the ones I described.

Mine were bought new in 1985 and look as good today as they did then.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Bear - any links to what your talking about on the web? There's no where locally that handles hubcaps or simulators, so I'm left with web order only it looks like....
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Bear - any links to what your talking about on the web? There's no where locally that handles hubcaps or simulators, so I'm left with web order only it looks like....

I have had mine since 1985 and have no idea where I did get them; but, I see them all over for sale still, so they are still available.

Recently, in a similar thread, someone posted an E-Bay dealer that had them.

I will see if I can find some picture-links that show them better than I described them.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 AM

our service trucks all came with the captive nut system they;re definately still availiable.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I just did a huge search for sims and went with the summitt ones. Pacific duallie ones were nice but just too expensive for me. I happy with the summitt brand plus the sell the parts just incase you sling a center cap. My .02
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM

yes, pacific duallies, thats what we have.