Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   What is this leak from? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/what-leak-284090/)

92smokin blacky 01-20-2011 08:47 PM

What is this leak from?

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've noticed a wet spot above my starter and to the right of my lift pump for the past little while and have been checking my fluids often and not much has changed. When I pulled my lift pump off yesterday I decided to take a picture and ask you guys. I don't think its my head gasket since my oil and coolant still look good... And I don't think its the fuel return line but not sure. I touched it and it didn't smell like fuel and seemed more like oil but it is plenty greasy. Is my tappet cover leaking or what is it? Or is it blowby coming out of the tube coming back up towards the motor? Nothing seems to be leaking drastically but I know something is leaking and would like to get some more of my leaks fixed (even though it never ends with these trucks...) but here is the pic.
Attachment 64897

huntinguy 01-20-2011 09:01 PM

Looks like it's just the tappet cover. You could pull the sound cover off and tighten the bolts. Might work.

92smokin blacky 01-21-2011 09:38 PM

Can I just leave the sound insulation stuff off or how much louder would it make the motor?

huntinguy 01-21-2011 09:40 PM

Don't know I've never had mine off. But I don't think it would be to bad. The only thing under that cover is the pusher rods.

Jim Lane 01-21-2011 10:06 PM

It is there for a reason, to dampen the clatter of the lifters.

Not sure how much louder it will be but if you are older it would probably be more anoying.
Jim

1992gen1_fan 01-21-2011 10:14 PM

You'd about havta remove the IP to get the tappet cover sound dampener off i think. I never took mine off, but I tried to without IP removal, i couldnt.

autocar56 01-21-2011 10:17 PM

I would make sure a rocker cover is leaking, just a possibility.

Steven M

Jim Lane 01-21-2011 10:20 PM

Yes you will have to remove the injection pump to get at the side cover and if you go through the trouble of tightening it you better just replace the gasket.

When I replaced mine it was all dried and brittle, broke off in my hands.
Jim

92smokin blacky 01-22-2011 01:05 PM

Yeah I figured the gasket was just getting old and leaking (just like every other one on this truck) but I can't blame it since its 19 years old. Its not leaking a whole lot so I think I'll leave it til I have to change my injection pump someday then I'll change it... or if I ever have the motor out.

1992gen1_fan 01-22-2011 08:45 PM

Mine seeped oil for quite a while, then one day it just dropped a quart in the driveway lol.

huntinguy 01-22-2011 09:00 PM

both of my 89's seep a little but the 92 leaks pretty bad.
Confirms my idea that non-ic'ed trucks are better. :D

sooty 01-23-2011 08:20 AM

this will also allow timing cover front seal removal/replacement, kdp fix, ive seen a bunch of loose covers in the past, too close to ejecting the pin, you hear the p-pump engines being most vulnerable, i see all gens coming loose.

feveree40 04-08-2011 01:42 AM

I see this thread is a couple months old, but I have the same leak. I picked up a gasket from my local case dealer today. It is a formed rubber seal, is that the right thing? It looks like the correct shape, but i was expecting more of a paper or cork type gasket.

Montana2x2 04-09-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by feveree40 (Post 2952758)
I see this thread is a couple months old, but I have the same leak. I picked up a gasket from my local case dealer today. It is a formed rubber seal, is that the right thing? It looks like the correct shape, but i was expecting more of a paper or cork type gasket.

It sounds like you got the right one.

feveree40 04-10-2011 09:04 PM

It sounds like you got the right one.
cool, thanks!