1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Mark: How are you liking the weather in my old stomping grounds there in Oklahoma? Have you driven around much of the countryside? I grew up in Coffeyville. Have you been up there yet?

Edwin
We haven't made it up to Coffeyville yet. We go to grove OK pretty often and Carthage MO. once in a while.

The weather has been pretty mild. September to early November was hot but not too humid and the winter had a few days below zero with one snow day and one freezing mist. not too bad. I am waiting on the spring storms for better clouds to take some black &white pictures of abandoned buildings and Cathedral square in town.
The following 2 users liked this post by mknittle:
edwinsmith (03-16-2018), thrashingcows (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
You could always buy DE stainless exhaust system with stainless band clamps....Then it would all be stainless, so the dissimilar metal issue would be non issue.
That is what I will be doing on my 12V '78 Ramcharger build.
I don't use guillotine clamps on any of my exhaust systems for anything other than hangers.
Hi Oliver, hey is there any news on the highly scientific experiment on antifreeze that you and your laboratory are conducting? In English, did the green stuff freeze?...Mark
Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
We haven't made it up to Coffeyville yet. We go to grove OK pretty often and Carthage MO. once in a while.

The weather has been pretty mild. September to early November was hot but not too humid and the winter had a few days below zero with one snow day and one freezing mist. not too bad. I am waiting on the spring storms for better clouds to take some black &white pictures of abandoned buildings and Cathedral square in town.
I lived and worked in Grove for a few years. It's a nice little town on the lake. Sailboat bridge is nice to drive over if you come in from the north. I used to drive to Joplin quite often for the movies. The last time I was in Grove was to get some new teeth made.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I lived and worked in Grove for a few years. It's a nice little town on the lake. Sailboat bridge is nice to drive over if you come in from the north. I used to drive to Joplin quite often for the movies. The last time I was in Grove was to get some new teeth made.
My brother in law moved to Grove for the fishing. We always take old route 66 to Grove, the turnpike sucks! The only interesting thing to see on the turdpipe is the McDonalds that crosses over the highway.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Back on topic

Put the plow back on, after removing it from the last fake Nor Easter here

Supposedly another snow event for Tuesday.

Umm, I'll believe it when I see it.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I had a great night last night getting the two frame sections mocked up for the 8 lug Ramcharger build.
I will be headed back out to the shop shortly to do a little fine tune grinding and it will be ready for final clamping up / leveling out for welding.

Then next I will get some prep work done to pull the 12V out of the black crew cab for a new [good used OEM one] oil pan, a few fresh gaskets and a HVLP lift pump install.

I am prepping up for a busy Wrench Week at the end of the month.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Hi Oliver, hey is there any news on the highly scientific experiment on antifreeze that you and your laboratory are conducting? In English, did the green stuff freeze?...Mark
We haven't had any real cold weather up here at the lab since my last post on it being unfrozen at -15F or so IIRC.
We have gotten a bunch of snow recently but the weather has been pretty warm.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oliver foster
We haven't had any real cold weather up here at the lab since my last post on it being unfrozen at -15F or so IIRC.
We have gotten a bunch of snow recently but the weather has been pretty warm.
Thanks Oliver, I think that it was -10 F..I really like how you say "not that cold" and "-15" in the same sentence ...Mark
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Thanks Oliver, I think that it was -10 F..I really like how you say "not that cold" and "-15" in the same sentence ...Mark
Mine hasn't frozen or boiled over here either.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Mine hasn't frozen or boiled over here either.
Mine neither, I wonder why ...Mark
Old 03-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Loaded the truck up with the old cans and bottles we've been saving and took them to the recycling center. Got over $65. Then drove over to Costco and spent that and more on food and soap.

The voltage held steady at 14.4 volts every time I looked at it. Hopefully it's fixed but I still don't know why it blips up to 16-17 volts when I first start it up in the morning. Maybe it's normal and I just never noticed before I had a voltmeter. I notice that the battery is down to 11.6 in the mornings but it starts fine. I think the radio drains it some overnight. It's a cheap O'Reilly battery that's undersized anyway. When it wears out I'll get the proper battery for it.

Edwin
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
mknittle (03-17-2018), thrashingcows (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Loaded the truck up with the old cans and bottles we've been saving and took them to the recycling center. Got over $65. Then drove over to Costco and spent that and more on food and soap.

The voltage held steady at 14.4 volts every time I looked at it. Hopefully it's fixed but I still don't know why it blips up to 16-17 volts when I first start it up in the morning. Maybe it's normal and I just never noticed before I had a voltmeter. I notice that the battery is down to 11.6 in the mornings but it starts fine. I think the radio drains it some overnight. It's a cheap O'Reilly battery that's undersized anyway. When it wears out I'll get the proper battery for it.

Edwin
2 questions

Do you have functional grid heaters?

Have you ever disconnected the neg battery cable, and used a test light between the cable end, and the negative terminal? Looking for a drain. Glows dim, very light draw,, glows bright, heavy draw

Old school way of finding a draw. My radio always pulls a light draw, but never enough to kill the battery
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Set out to do some front end work today. Replaced upper and lower ball joints, the steering box and brake pads. Decided to send my buddy a picture in the middle of it and he says “don’t forget axle shaft seals”. Well, since I’m planning on swapping out the front end for a Dana “Super 60”, I didn’t think I needed them. As I scoot over to the passenger side, I see this! Thanks for the jinx good buddy! Head over to Vatozone, grab a seat of axle seals and some gear lube, then head home. Hopefully, I’ll be done in 2-3 hours tomorrow, 4 if I replace the shocks.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Maybe I should lease this truck, so I can go over every nut, bolt, bearing and seal on my truck. I need to spend a week on the old girl, to finish everything up, once and for...awhile
Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
2 questions

Do you have functional grid heaters?

Have you ever disconnected the neg battery cable, and used a test light between the cable end, and the negative terminal? Looking for a drain. Glows dim, very light draw,, glows bright, heavy draw

Old school way of finding a draw. My radio always pulls a light draw, but never enough to kill the battery
My grid heaters work if it's cold enough but it hasn't been that cold here in a couple of months.

No I haven't measured the drain from the negative cable but that's a good idea. It could be a lot more than the few milliamps the radio clock would take.

Any idea if the voltage spike after starting is normal? Has anyone ever seen this? I think later years all had the VR built into the ECU or something like that. I see a lot of kits for bypassing that setup with the old style VR like I have.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?