1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Yup, I stripped an entire '62 Fairlane with it. Slop it on, go watch tv for 15 minutes, then go scrape it off, it's down to bare metal, easy peazy, just don't get any on your skin...Mark The other kind of cool thing about it is that you put the scrapings into an old 5 gallon paint bucket, set it outside for a day (at least in AZ) and it turns into dry paint flakes that you can then throw away...
The following users liked this post:
N. Besonderes (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Well I'll be danged, I think that mine is the same, I wouldn't use airplane stripper the, that stuff is strong...Mark
And can kill people rather quickly, who fail to follow use precautions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/c...of-deaths.html
maybe368 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Administrator

I can believe it, if it can bubble up car paint in just a few minutes, it can certainly bubble up brain cells and kidneys (body parts randomly selected). Like I said above, it is nasty stuff and don't get any on your skin. There is another hazard, fire. We had a fire on the tenth floor of a high rise that was caused by spraying lacquer thinner on the wood of a large law firm's office. The "funny" thing is that the workers that did it were trying to escape from the basement parking, but were blocked by all of the fire trucks and hoses, poetic justice I guess...Mark
Old 02-27-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
And can kill people rather quickly, who fail to follow use precautions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/c...of-deaths.html
In the same store where you buy the stripper you can buy a paint mask that filters out the fumes. It's a shame that they have to ban useful things because people are so stupid.

Edwin
maybe368 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
In the same store where you buy the stripper you can buy a paint mask that filters out the fumes. It's a shame that they have to ban useful things because people are so stupid.

Edwin
Yup, you can't cure stupid, we on the FD call it job security...Mark
Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I replaced the fuel transfer pump today with an OEM unit. The mounting gasket was stuck like it had been on there 29 years or something. I got a new mounting gasket when I got the pump but, failed to get the banjo coppers. Guess what, the darn thing seep with just hand priming the pump. DANG!!!! I did not start it, I will have to get some ordered, installed then try it.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Is it normal for that gasket to be a PIA to scrape off? It sure was for me when I swapped my lift pump. No idea how long it had been on there.
I guess I'll find out soon. I have another lift pump swap in my near future after finding a crudded up fuel filter due to a torn fuel strainer.

-Niemand

Old 02-27-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Reminds me of when I got sick on Cherry Vodka in high school. Looks just like stomach lining.

Are you sure somebody didn't puke in your tank?
N. Besonderes (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,569 Posts
Wow that is the nastiest looking fuel filter I have seen, maybe ever.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
N. Besonderes (02-27-2019), NJTman (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
That's pretty bad, right? Imagine what the lift pump must look like inside.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Ugly it is! How long had it been on or how many miles? Is this the first sign you have had of rust?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith

Edwin
I agree. except.....on the idiot part.

a couple months ago:

I contacted the company who makes that airplane remover, (WM BARR), and I asked them what their protocol for protection for using the stuff is. Their website is a little vague (on purpose), as they don't want to be held liable for the idiots who use the stuff in enclosed areas, such as bathtub refinishing, and don't have an "oxygen supplied" respirator. They flat out told me that they will "NOT" recommend anything other than a self contained oxygen supplied respirator. No 1/2 mask chemical respirators (as you said that are available at the local stores), as they are NOT oxygen supported. Paint masks are not the same as what they require, hence being stupid isn't an excuse on this one, although it's helpful in then end when they're dropping your casket 6 feet under.

In my experience there isn't any supply house out there that I'm aware of that sells oxygen supported respirators to "laymen". If it's not immediately available, and not easily obtainable, then it makes it more than difficult, at best, to do the job as recommended.

Using the product outdoors, with a methylene rated mask, and multiple fans directing the fumes away from the human works fine, though.
edwinsmith (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
I replaced the fuel transfer pump today with an OEM unit. The mounting gasket was stuck like it had been on there 29 years or something. I got a new mounting gasket when I got the pump but, failed to get the banjo coppers. Guess what, the darn thing seep with just hand priming the pump. DANG!!!! I did not start it, I will have to get some ordered, installed then try it.
Yes. that gasket is a PITA. This makes it easy peasy

Amazon Amazon

or a whizzer wheel and fine pad on it, but if you're not careful, you can damage the mounting surface doing so.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
N. Besonderes (03-01-2019), nothingbutdarts (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
Ugly it is! How long had it been on or how many miles? Is this the first sign you have had of rust?
Is that rust ? or is that veggie diesel residue ? Looks like rust.

That's terrible. If Ollie hasn't seen it, you know it's way out there.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
I agree. except.....on the idiot part.

a couple months ago:

I contacted the company who makes that airplane remover, (WM BARR), and I asked them what their protocol for protection for using the stuff is. Their website is a little vague (on purpose), as they don't want to be held liable for the idiots who use the stuff in enclosed areas, such as bathtub refinishing, and don't have an "oxygen supplied" respirator. They flat out told me that they will "NOT" recommend anything other than a self contained oxygen supplied respirator. No 1/2 mask chemical respirators (as you said that are available at the local stores), as they are NOT oxygen supported. Paint masks are not the same as what they require, hence being stupid isn't an excuse on this one, although it's helpful in then end when they're dropping your casket 6 feet under.

In my experience there isn't any supply house out there that I'm aware of that sells oxygen supported respirators to "laymen". If it's not immediately available, and not easily obtainable, then it makes it more than difficult, at best, to do the job as recommended.

Using the product outdoors, with a methylene rated mask, and multiple fans directing the fumes away from the human works fine, though.
To be clear, they are not "oxygen" respirators, they are "air" respirators. Supplemental oxygen is used in emergency and other medical situations to supplement the 20% (roughly) oxygen that is available in the air. Scuba divers don't use oxygen in their tanks because it would kill them by oxygen toxicity:

https://www.google.com/search?client...xygen+toxicity

If those guys did say oxygen, then even they don't understand the difference. That said, you are completely right, once one screws up their lungs, which can happen with 1 breath of certain things, they generally have a crumby life thereafter...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
edwinsmith (02-28-2019), NJTman (02-28-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?