1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
New clutch hydraulics assembly. (Works much better now!)
Dump run.
Cleaned up the yard with the plow.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Jaysen,
Who did you get the hydro. set up from?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Jaysen,
Who did you get the hydro. set up from?
I actually tried an O’Reilly’s unit. It’s a one piece pre-bled unit. $130ish out the door. 90 day warranty. Neither Napa or the dealerships offer a one piece assembly any more. They were able to get me one overnight. I would have liked to buy the South Bend unit but I’ve stretched my budget a bit right now. I’m probably still going to need to replace my shift top for the trans, but I’m up and going for now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jaysen Strange:
BHD (01-28-2019), Diesel_Dawg (01-26-2019), thrashingcows (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh geeeeze Where do I begin
swapped old turbo for a newer one
shutdown solenoid failed, still working on that
low fuel pressure from the lift pump, jury is still out on that
more tomorrow......
Dave
Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by d9inger
more tomorrow......
Dave
Oh yeah, shut down solenoid... I rigged a cable to the fuel shut off arm as I’ve gutted my FSS until I get a new one.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by d9inger
more tomorrow......
Dave
I like how you give birth to this unpredictable, never-ending, and potentially dangerous monster of a thread (a thing that should not be) that could, (and ultimately will) harm some innocent life, only to be eventually dealt its sad and tragic fate at the hands of the same angry townsfolk whom it terrified for so very long, wielding torches, and pitchforks, and possibly numchucks, and you just pop in every three or four years to say "hey."

-Niemand
The following 5 users liked this post by N. Besonderes:
Bob L (01-27-2019), edwinsmith (01-26-2019), NJTman (01-27-2019), nonrev (01-27-2019), oliver foster (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I see dead D9inger people!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Picked this up today. It's not often that you see a RC being parted these days so I jumped on it. It will go in the pile of parts waiting to get installed in the brick.....some day!
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM

found that someone my wife and I adopted our beagles from is a dodge fan.

He bought this thing new, and put over 300,000 miles on it. It's the exact same color / model mine is, except it's a d150.

He loves it. ..

Lol.

Blue Goose (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
LED Projector headlights

Bought these off internet on CariD. Totally plug and play for the light part. Also have daytime running light feature that i have not messed with yet! Lights are BEEERIGHT! ALRIGHT! Hate to be a deer in the high beams. Now I can enjoy the old big blue '92 at night, if I can locate the short that keeps blowing the taillight fuse!

The following 3 users liked this post by FrustratedFirst:
Blue Goose (01-28-2019), Diesel_Dawg (01-28-2019), NJTman (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Today, I took the brick for a ride, and found I have a leak above my fuel tank, and when the truck either idles, or travels about, it starts to pee diesel fuel all over the place.

Being I just went through all that crap with the truck dying out on me, I thought I was done with this until spring when I could drop the tank, pull the lines, and have new lines made up at the local hose shop. I guess Mom Nature (BI**#&) said she has other plans for me.

Called Ollie, and he thinks either the O ring gave up the ghost, or the connector block where the two lines go into the tank fuel sending assembly (Mopar 5200 3848) item #1 on the diagram here, which as we all know has been discontinued.

So, either I pump 27 gallons of diesel out of the tank, drop the tank potentially damaging the filler neck seal, and see if I can observe any damage to the fuel return line connector at the plastic block. Ollie said that sometimes that plastic block is cracked from age, attempts at removing the tank without previously disconnecting the lines, etc. I'm sure he's right, because I wiped all the fuel off the top and then started the truck back up again, and you could see fuel congregating at the top of the reservoir assembly and then start wizzing all over my driveway after about 5 minutes or so of Idling. Oh yeah, it's supposed to snow, and I can't have the truck held up otherwise, I'm gonna have my head handed to me by all my customers.

So,

Tomorrow, I'll be cutting an access panel in the bed of the truck as this will provide me the ability to look at the assembly, in the truck, while it's running, and make the determination that the fuel line O ring, or the connector block is leaking. I'm so excited about using a wizzer wheel to shower the area in sparks tomorrow. Ollie has reassured me that the diesel won't catch fire, and I'm sure he's right. I have a welding blanket that I'm going to shove over the top of the tank and do my best to block the sparking that I know will be shooting about underneath there.

Wish me luck, fellas .
Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Oh, fun. It'll be good to have an access to that area for future fun though.
NJTman (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Good Luck! Cutting an access hole sounds like a good idea if you can make the hole into a removable panel or even just weld it back up. It sure beats crawling around on the ground in wintertime. If you had a garage and a decent winch etc... you could hoist the entire bed off. I've had mine off and it ain't that big of a deal.

I'm about down to 1/2 tank again so I will see soon if the no-start/hard start/fuel starvation problem starts again. Ollie seems to think my pickup tube has a crack in it. I tried pressurizing the tank but I couldn't see any leaks. I hate intermittent problems.

Edwin
NJTman (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 PM

Seems as though Ollie is the goto guy, eh? Good thing he doesn't charge me, otherwise id have no money for beer.

Pretty much every time I discuss an issue with him, he's right.

Did you know Ollie beats the snot out of everybody on the downhill, riding his snowboard? World class athlete as well.
oliver foster (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman

Today, I took the brick for a ride, and found I have a leak above my fuel tank, and when the truck either idles, or travels about, it starts to pee diesel fuel all over the place.

Being I just went through all that crap with the truck dying out on me, I thought I was done with this until spring when I could drop the tank, pull the lines, and have new lines made up at the local hose shop. I guess Mom Nature (BI**#&) said she has other plans for me.

Called Ollie, and he thinks either the O ring gave up the ghost, or the connector block where the two lines go into the tank fuel sending assembly (Mopar 5200 3848) item #1 on the diagram here, which as we all know has been discontinued.

So, either I pump 27 gallons of diesel out of the tank, drop the tank potentially damaging the filler neck seal, and see if I can observe any damage to the fuel return line connector at the plastic block. Ollie said that sometimes that plastic block is cracked from age, attempts at removing the tank without previously disconnecting the lines, etc. I'm sure he's right, because I wiped all the fuel off the top and then started the truck back up again, and you could see fuel congregating at the top of the reservoir assembly and then start wizzing all over my driveway after about 5 minutes or so of Idling. Oh yeah, it's supposed to snow, and I can't have the truck held up otherwise, I'm gonna have my head handed to me by all my customers.

So,

Tomorrow, I'll be cutting an access panel in the bed of the truck as this will provide me the ability to look at the assembly, in the truck, while it's running, and make the determination that the fuel line O ring, or the connector block is leaking. I'm so excited about using a wizzer wheel to shower the area in sparks tomorrow. Ollie has reassured me that the diesel won't catch fire, and I'm sure he's right. I have a welding blanket that I'm going to shove over the top of the tank and do my best to block the sparking that I know will be shooting about underneath there.

Wish me luck, fellas .
Have you thought about installing a DrawStraw in place of the OEM fuel pickup? I installed one in 2017 to resolve an issue and have not had a problem with it since.
PM me if you want me to send you the link. I think they run around $75

NJTman (01-29-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?