1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
It's alive !

Looks great.
The ground looks pretty green down there.
Lucky you had some extra time to get the plow truck dialed in.
We got over 40 inches of snow in November up here!
The plow guys have been busy.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Looks great.
The ground looks pretty green down there.
Lucky you had some extra time to get the plow truck dialed in.
We got over 40 inches of snow in November up here!
The plow guys have been busy.
Thanks.

No real snow here yet. Today it was in the 40's and quite comfortable.

I finally diagnosed the brick and it's "early morning running on, after the key was shut off.".

Back in July, I bought a "CUMMINS 3903575 FSS, and thought my days of damaged FSS rubber was over.

NOPE.

Pulled the FSS, and the same exact thing happens with the cheapo Ebay units happened with the cummins part. Go figure, eh?

So I have to file a warranty claim, as it's guaranteed for 1 year or 100K miles. Part will be in tomorrow.

So I'm rummaging about in my tool box for my "special" FSS wrench I made a few years back, and I find that I have a spare FSS. I look at it, and the numbers seem familiar, as I knew I bought a FSS from Cummins, but didn't figure it could be the same part from Ebay.

Well, it is, or at least it's the best counterfeit I've ever seen. Every mark, every number, and the color of the metals match. I guess Cummins and Bosch sell stuff separately, but Cummins adds $200 to the cost.

The one on the left, I think I paid $45.00 or so. I paid $243.54 for the Cummins one on the right. Which is the one that has gone bad, cracked rubber on the end.

I think I'm gonna turn the fuel screw back out to hopefully stop this. I think I can live with less power... or I'll just grind off the rubber flat to the metal as in the sticky. Once this new one goes bad again...

Oh well. well see.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
The one on the right has that expensive ho look while the one on the left has that streetwalker ho look. Either way you get screwed.
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
N. Besonderes (12-13-2018), nonrev (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
[QUOTE=NJTman;3355911]

Pulled the FSS, and the same exact thing happens with the cheapo Ebay units happened with the cummins part. Go figure, eh?

So I have to file a warranty claim, as it's guaranteed for 1 year or 100K miles. Part will be in tomorrow.

/QUOTE]

As a vendor myself, this drives me nuts. You & everyone else knows, when you turn your pump up to a certain amount, it will eat the rubber of "all" rubber tipped plungers. It's not the fault of the maker/seller so why put this on a seller. You play, you pay.
You should invest in a brass tipped plunger & be done with eroding the rubber tips....that's why someone designed/made one for the VE market. And no I don't sell the brass tipped plungers or have anything to do with the maker, nor sold you a s/s solenoid, so I don't have a dog in the fight other than pointing this out to you.
Just saying....as a fair vendor, I hate seeing abuse of vendors.
The following 3 users liked this post by nascar mark:
edwinsmith (12-14-2018), nothingbutdarts (12-14-2018), ofelas (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Not to mention the problem is worst with small injectors.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=nascar mark;3355923]
Originally Posted by NJTman

/QUOTE]

As a vendor myself, this drives me nuts. You & everyone else knows, when you turn your pump up to a certain amount, it will eat the rubber of "all" rubber tipped plungers. It's not the fault of the maker/seller so why put this on a seller. You play, you pay.
You should invest in a brass tipped plunger & be done with eroding the rubber tips....that's why someone designed/made one for the VE market. And no I don't sell the brass tipped plungers or have anything to do with the maker, nor sold you a s/s solenoid, so I don't have a dog in the fight other than pointing this out to you.
Just saying....as a fair vendor, I hate seeing abuse of vendors.
Funny thought here.

Why is it that some guys who have turned up their pumps haven't had this issue at all ?

I knew it ate some of the tips, but not all of them. I didn't know that this would happen with every manufacturer, and not just the cheap knockoffs. Thanks for the update.

I'm willing to buy a new tip, and I'll research it. I'm tired of having this happen, and I don't care how much it costs to fix it.

My pump isn't turned up that much. Not sure exactly, but it's not maxed out.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered it from sleezybay. End of complaining about stuff, I guess your vendor opinion counts.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I think it has to do with poor quality control. Those parts are probably sourced in China, maybe all vendors get them from the same source since NJTman has two from different vendors that look exactly the same seems to be evidence of this. Why a bit more fuel flow would cause this problem is hard for me to understand but the pressure can't be more than the seals in the VE will stand. (Ask me how I know)

A brass valve would be a good solution however.

My $0.02 worth.

Edwin
Old 12-14-2018, 05:45 PM

I searched for a brass tipped FSS for Cummins VE pumped 12Vs for at least 1/2hr today and didn't locate one.

I have heard of them before, but just never seen one.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Snowed about 3-4" last night so had Sno-Ball out for a little plowing today. Last night I pulled Patches into the shop and had to do a quickie repair of the exhaust....broke the old crusty 3" flex pipe again....but was still barely holding on so it got a 3" band clamp over the break until....??? Also thought since it was in the shop I would grease everything...even the Cardon joint off the TC case....what a PITA those ones are, also on the drag link where it attaches to the LH spindle the grease nipple was straight so I could never get at it unless I turned the wheels, so I swapped it for a 45* nipple....much easier to grease it now. Also saw why my 4wd light was not coming on, plug had come off switch and was hanging down by the VSS....so got that hooked back up as well.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I think it has to do with poor quality control. Those parts are probably sourced in China, maybe all vendors get them from the same source since NJTman has two from different vendors that look exactly the same seems to be evidence of this. Why a bit more fuel flow would cause this problem is hard for me to understand but the pressure can't be more than the seals in the VE will stand. (Ask me how I know)

A brass valve would be a good solution however.

My $0.02 worth.

Edwin
It isn't from poor quality. Do you think Cummins sells junk....not going to happen. They for one are all about quality control. Why do you think there is so many updated/superseded part #'s. One bad one in a run, possible but unlikely as this is a widely known problem.
NJTman has more than a few of them...there's a reason for this. Saying a pump isn't turned up that much means nothing. It is no longer stock. Period.
Think about this for 1 min. all the seals in a pump, except for the gear shaft one have a backing support ( seals are held in place on both sides so can't be pushed out ) but the s/s rubber is pulled up when energized & is in the high pressure flow path of the pump when up. Same when power is cut to them....pump is still putting out thousands of psi. The rubber tips are tough but have a limit. One pumps output is different from another. No 2 pumps flow the exact same with the exact same settings.
NJTman's pump sounds like it is very healthy or maybe doesn't pull up 100% due to lack of power supply or what have you but hence it eats the rubber tips.
This is not the fault of Cummins or fleabay sellers. Did I mention I don't sell on fleabay....well I don't.

Not trying to start anything with anyone, just have to point out it is not always the manufacture or the sellers fault when someone turns up their pump, eats a tip or anything else down the line & then says something is wrong, I want warranty.
edwinsmith (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 PM

I searched for a brass tipped FSS for Cummins VE pumped 12Vs for at least 1/2hr today and didn't locate one.

I can't remember the guy that makes them. He contacted me maybe 6 months ago & asked if I wanted to be a vendor for him. I passed on them due to he needs cores back, so that killed the deal for me.
They weren't very expensive.
Sorry, I can't point you in his direction but someone must have his contact info.
nothingbutdarts (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Here you go, Ollie
Item number

Wouldn't want Mark to make you out,to look like a bad guy, while claiming he's not. There would be two of us on the site, then, eh?

Besides, I'm the one who Mark is so confident knew that all these plungers get ripped up before I went to Cummins attempting to eliminate a problem I thought was caused by poor quality product. He obviously knows more about me, than I do myself cause he said I knew already, and was just putting the blame on the vendor.

Yup... He got me
edwinsmith (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I agree with Mark, especially where it comes to Chinese manufacturing. I think that the Chinese can build about anything,of very high quality to complete junk, but that it is the customer telling them what they will pay that drives the quality. If I call them and say I want XYZ and will only pay bumpkiss for it, well I am going to get bumpkiss quality parts. It seems that the quality is driven by the consumer...Mark
edwinsmith (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks for finding that T-man!

Looks like s nice option for guys who are having problems keeping the their rubbers in one piece.

I did not see it listed that you had to send back your old FSS or pay a core charge though. Just 39.99 and free shipping...
Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
I agree with Mark, especially where it comes to Chinese manufacturing. I think that the Chinese can build about anything,of very high quality to complete junk, but that it is the customer telling them what they will pay that drives the quality. If I call them and say I want XYZ and will only pay bumpkiss for it, well I am going to get bumpkiss quality parts. It seems that the quality is driven by the consumer...Mark
So, you think Cummins is any different? You really believe that price isn't a concern for Cummins, and Cummins orders parts made to their spec, and won't accept any sub standard materials being used, simply because of economics , and a higher margin on their products? Think again.

In a global market, all manufacturers are constantly battling to maximize profits and return on every dollar spent. If they weren't,and we're only concerned with quality, then they would buy from suppliers that weren't a half a world away, and produced the absolute finest available materials, for the finest final product out there.

I doubt Rolls Royce orders ANYTHING from China, nor Bentley, or Ferrari, Either. I'm confident that every part they use is sourced from a ultra reliable, European maufacturer out of Germany, Italy, or other local producer, or themselves, where they don't worry about poor ratio mixes, due to unsupervised workers bent on maximizing use of the scrap they have lying around.

Cummins buys parts from China because they maximize their profit margins from everything they sell from their plants there. I paid 6 times the cost of an eBay seller for the FSS at the local Cummins dealer, and got an eBay seller product in the box. The original FSS in my truck lasted 21 years, and finally failed from age. The pump was turned up for 9 years before it finally failed. Its these replacement units that don't last but a few months, to a year as they're not the same as what was produced back in the 90's, and never will be , due to outsourcing to China.

You guys wish and hope all you want that Chinese made materials are as good, or can be made as good as any high end producer out there. That theory may or may not be true. For now, I'll be switching to the brass tipped unit, and finally be done with these junk, rubber tipped units. With any luck, it won't be made from Chinese brass
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
BHD (12-16-2018), edwinsmith (12-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?