1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Edwin, I'm thinking your truck was mad at you for putting that K&N filter in it and was trying to run away from home
On the good side at least there was no major damage
Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
Edwin, I'm thinking your truck was mad at you for putting that K&N filter in it and was trying to run away from home
On the good side at least there was no major damage
You could be right. The standard filter had been in there for 14 years although about 12 of those years it was sitting in a paint shop. It had a dead honeybee in it. The truck seems a bit peppier and idles a bit faster.

Today I filled the windshield washer reservoir with blue stuff and tried it out and it works fine now.

I just added the scratch to the list of paint dings I have to fix someday.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I finally bought a K&N air filter for my rig. Installed it a few minutes ago. This is after I parked the truck in the garage with out leaving it in gear or the brake applied. Well I leaned against the truck and it rolled out of the garage onto the sloped part of the drive way and I couldn't stop it! I rolled all the way down to the street picking up speed as it went. It rolled across the street and hit the curb on the other side and kept going. Luckily it didn't damage anything when it hit the wall. The hood was open so it put a nice big scratch in it when it hit the door opener. Luckily there was nobody else coming down the street to witness this bit of stupidity. I didn't see anyone else so I jumped in the truck and drove it back into the garage like nothing happened.

My windshield washer tank had some crap on it like a thousand cobwebs so I took it off and cleaned it all up. Te plastic screen had a hole in it so I pit some shoe-goo on it to plug the hole and I'm waiting for it to dry.

Lots of FUN today!

Edwin
Wow... Crazy runaway story. I bet your shorts required laundering as well..

What is this wall you're talking about? A neighbors yard?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Wow... Crazy runaway story. I bet your shorts required laundering as well..

What is this wall you're talking about? A neighbors yard?
I checked and the shorts are fine. The wall is a concrete block dividing the neighbors back yard across the street from the sidewalk. The curb slowed the truck down enough that it just hit the wall with a good thump but didn't do anything other than leave some rattle can black paint on it. It gets tagged often so graffiti abatement will paint over the whole thing soon enough. The back bumper is made of 6" channel steel and reinforced at the ends so it's pretty much indestructible.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
My truck is still in the trans shop. For once, I'm glad winter usually comes in LATE December, or even into January.

We got a good 10 inches of the dreaded white stuff last Thursday here in Pennsyltucky. One day closer to Spring is what I keep telling myself.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Noticed a coolant leak by my oil filter a few weeks ago, haven't been able to pin point it. Today I noticed it's drippng even more. Looks like it's around the Tstat. I don't think it's the HG because the lower 1/4 of the housing is wet and the lower bolt as a dropplet on it. I am really hoping that its just the Tstat anyway timing is really bad for a HG.
nonrev (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
Noticed a coolant leak by my oil filter a few weeks ago, haven't been able to pin point it. Today I noticed it's drippng even more. Looks like it's around the Tstat. I don't think it's the HG because the lower 1/4 of the housing is wet and the lower bolt as a dropplet on it. I am really hoping that its just the Tstat anyway timing is really bad for a HG.
Check the 10MM bolts that hold on the oil filter housing to the block. My '91.0, Poncho, had loose bolts there which caused an antifreeze leak.
I pulled everything apart, checked the oil cooler, cleaned everything up, new gasket, new T-stat, filled it up with straight antifreeze with no water added and re-installed it last winter and it has been good to go since.

While I was there I installed a HX-35 turbo, 2nd gen intercooler, boots, tubes and a '94-'98.0 intake horn, but that is another story....
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
maybe368 (11-21-2018), peckens (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I had the same thing on Patches....10mm bolts were loose on the oil cooler. Did the same....new gaskets and all is well.
peckens (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 03:55 PM

I dried and cleaned everything off yesterday. So far the HG is dry its just the lower bolt on the Tstat housing that is wet. Will double check the oil cooler just to be safe.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Today, I drove the truck for the first time since I got it back from the transmission shop.

Took the extra 1.5 pints out of the trans, as they had overfilled it.

Adjusted the TV cable, which they NEVER DID.

Truck shifts just about perfectly now.

Sure felt good to get it back home.
The following 5 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (11-26-2018), maybe368 (11-21-2018), N. Besonderes (11-22-2018), nonrev (11-22-2018), oliver foster (11-21-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:27 PM

Checked the coolant leak again today as the truck has been sitting for 24 hours. Tstat housing is more wet than it was before, about half way up the front side actually (way above hg). Guess tomorrow after work I will pull the tstat clean the mating surfaces and rtv it.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
Checked the coolant leak again today as the truck has been sitting for 24 hours. Tstat housing is more wet than it was before, about half way up the front side actually (way above hg). Guess tomorrow after work I will pull the tstat clean the mating surfaces and rtv it.
There's nothing that compares to the warm feeling that you get when you realize that what you were certain was going to be major surgery, turns out to be a simple (maybe even enjoyable) Saturday fix.
I was sure that the front input seal on my NV4500 was what was leaking oil like a sieve. But when I rolled the creeper under there to loosen the first of many bolts, after purchasing everything I needed and making plans to take time off in order to pull my 4X4 drive-train, I noticed that it was just leaking from the PTO cover. Fixed in an hour.

I'm still going to pull the drive-train soon so that I can give her a new rear main seal, reseal the NV4500 and NP205, and twin-stick it but, I like to do that kind of stuff on my own time, not in a pinch.

-Niemand
The following 2 users liked this post by N. Besonderes:
NJTman (11-23-2018), thrashingcows (11-22-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
I have a custom 4" stainless mandrel bent exhaust on my daily driver first gen, but I decided to install Type R Acura dual tips on the old girl.

edwinsmith (11-26-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Twin swirl

Looks similar to the twins swirl combustion recirculation exhaust system I just installed on my old sled from EMBS , remove 4 inch exhaust improve mileage 4.72 per gallon ...ofelas always cutting edge... aircraft approved
ofelas (11-23-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:59 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
There's nothing that compares to the warm feeling that you get when you realize that what you were certain was going to be major surgery, turns out to be a simple (maybe even enjoyable) Saturday fix...

-Niemand
How true! Right after I redid my king pin, u-joint, bearings and seals on the right side I saw fluid all over the inner tire. I thought well crap, I damaged the differential seal when I slid the axle back in and now have to undo everything I just did to replace it...

I let it think about it for a few days and discovered it wasn't leaking - Dooh!!! - it was just the PB Blaster I had sprayed on the brake fitting to replace the hose at the wheel!

What a relief!!!
thrashingcows (11-24-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?