1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I drove over to take the wife to lunch and the voltage stayed right where it's supposed to be. 14.5 - 14.7 volts. Or rather her company paid for lunch.

I don't know why I was so resistant to swapping the VR. I guess I figured it couldn't be THAT! Any other time I would have swapped that first thing.

I don't know if they can be damaged by a bad ground but it seems plausible.

I haven't done the battery leak current test yet but I need to. I've been looking buying at this AC-DC clamp current meter to check it also but I don't know if it's sensitive enough. My Tripplett only goes to 10 Amps. My voltage says about 11.8 or so before I start it but it always starts right up. I need to test if I can start it by letting it roll down the driveway and popping the clutch. I used to have to do that to an old Corvair that I had to park on a hill because the starter was busted. That was the good old days when beer was more essential than car parts.
Ahhh... The Corvair. The gift that keeps on giving. All the carbon monoxide that you could ever need to commit suicide while driving.

Cars are really cool looking, as they bring back memories of when I was little. what I woudn't give to be little again, and have the knowledge I have now of what life can be like, vs what it is.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
It might be time to say goodbye

Truck will only start with one small spray of starting fluid. Has no air in the lines and runs good once started. When I try to start it without starting fluid it just cranks really fast now that the battery is charged. I tried driving it once it was started and it ran fine, but there was no throttle response. Couldn’t even really build boost as it didn’t have enough power. This has all resulted from me pulling the fuel pin out and replacing the afc diaphragm. The slide pin that rides on the fuel pin (or is supposed to anyway) has apparently been stuck since I bought the truck and was the reason I had so little power. Except now it is stuck all the way in instead of partway out like it was. I have tried starting the truck with starting fluid and having the fuel pin out and it still did not unstick the pin. It seems I have had problem after problem with this truck and it has all been the fuel system. I’m now out of money so I can’t afford to fix it. I suspect the pump might need rebuilt just to get all the stuck stuff unstuck, but I don’t have the money for that either. I really don’t think the compression is low, but I guess I have bad enough luck for that to be so and definitely don’t have money to rebuild the engine to fix that. I get LOTS of fuel out the injectors spraying everywhere when I bleed them and there has not been any air in them. I have checked the lift pump as well, and also changed the fuel filter. I have also tried removing the plunger and little spring from the FSS with the same result. I’m going to have a diesel mechanic buddy of mine come look at it and make sure I am not just a complete idiot, but I suspect it will either get pushed into the backyard and become a yard ornament or be sold. So much for it lasting me a long time since it only has 128,xxx miles I’ve learned a lot working on it I guess, but this may be the end of this truck for me unfortunately. I had planned to keep this thing forever and eventually restore it.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Truck will only start with one small spray of starting fluid. Has no air in the lines and runs good once started. When I try to start it without starting fluid it just cranks really fast now that the battery is charged. I tried driving it once it was started and it ran fine, but there was no throttle response. Couldn’t even really build boost as it didn’t have enough power. This has all resulted from me pulling the fuel pin out and replacing the afc diaphragm. The slide pin that rides on the fuel pin (or is supposed to anyway) has apparently been stuck since I bought the truck and was the reason I had so little power. Except now it is stuck all the way in instead of partway out like it was. I have tried starting the truck with starting fluid and having the fuel pin out and it still did not unstick the pin. It seems I have had problem after problem with this truck and it has all been the fuel system. I’m now out of money so I can’t afford to fix it. I suspect the pump might need rebuilt just to get all the stuck stuff unstuck, but I don’t have the money for that either. I really don’t think the compression is low, but I guess I have bad enough luck for that to be so and definitely don’t have money to rebuild the engine to fix that. I get LOTS of fuel out the injectors spraying everywhere when I bleed them and there has not been any air in them. I have checked the lift pump as well, and also changed the fuel filter. I have also tried removing the plunger and little spring from the FSS with the same result. I’m going to have a diesel mechanic buddy of mine come look at it and make sure I am not just a complete idiot, but I suspect it will either get pushed into the backyard and become a yard ornament or be sold. So much for it lasting me a long time since it only has 128,xxx miles I’ve learned a lot working on it I guess, but this may be the end of this truck for me unfortunately. I had planned to keep this thing forever and eventually restore it.
Having the IP rebuilt is cheaper than buying another vehicle. I had mine done, because I just didn't have the time as I needed a 1 day turn around, for $450 at a local diesel shop. No reason to let it rot.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Having the IP rebuilt is cheaper than buying another vehicle. I had mine done, because I just didn't have the time as I needed a 1 day turn around, for $450 at a local diesel shop. No reason to let it rot.
I agree 100% with this. If you sell the truck, you’re going to get pennies on the dollar for it, because of the issue. Then, you’ll only have enough money for a cheesy half ton and you’re going to be angry with the experience. I’d be glad to help, in exchange for a killer burrito and a cold beer, but there’s just too many miles in between.
NJTman (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I'll buy it, how much ya want?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
I am a bit sore and tired from an awesome Wrench Week. My friends really helped me out to get a ton done!
We never even got close to working on the 2WD Ramcharger swap, but Poncho and the crew cabs got some major work done.

Poncho got most of the time spent on it, here is a partial list.
The injection pump got a FULL tear down, clean, re-seal / re gasket with a Bosch kit and 366 spring.
The front end was given a full axle rebuild, OTHER than new Warn hubs, tie rods, calipers, rotors and pads as those where all in great shape. All axle bearings, races, seals, U-joints where replaced with mainly Spicer or Dana parts. Fresh soft brake lines where added as well.
New Cummins tappet cover gasket.
HVLP kit install
Fuel tank drop with new small rubber lines replaced at both ends.
Shackle flip and drop hangers installed on the rear with much longer shackles. I then pulled the 3 inch block and replaced with a 1 inch Zero-Rate spring.

The black crew cab got most of the rest of the weeks love.
The '91.0 motor that has been in the crew for years was replaced with a cleaner, lower mileage, unmolested '91.0 motor after the motor received:
HVLP
New tappet cover gasket
Rear main seal
Injector pump refresh as it looked really great inside. It just got a few of the O-rings replaced, fuel screw in a turn and 1/2, 366 spring.
Then the motor was dropped into the frame on fresh Anchor mounts. We got it to safely slide back onto the NV-4500 still on the crossmember. The recent South Bend Clutch CON OFE clutch was re-used.

We then walked away from the black crew cab so I can do a little welding on the cowl cracks and re-seal the front timing case / crank seal before the core support / fenders go back on.
I will also re-install the HX-35 turbo and 24V intake horn from the old motor to it while I have lots of room.

The White crew cab then got a front wheel bearings and 4x4 hub re-tighten, clean and inspection.

We got all that work done in 5 [full] days with only one trip to Napa!
Man did the hot shower feel good this morning.
thrashingcows (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
put ypur pics on Shutterfly, no resizing needed. Or you could email them to me and I'd do it.

I think the guys here would love to see some of the progress that happened in the shop now that the dust is starting to settle from Wrench Week.
I tried to remember to snap some pictures of things.
PM me your E-mail and I will send you out some pictures and you can pick what you like to post.
THANKS MAN!
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

I agree 100% with this. If you sell the truck, you’re going to get pennies on the dollar for it, because of the issue. Then, you’ll only have enough money for a cheesy half ton and you’re going to be angry with the experience. I’d be glad to help, in exchange for a killer burrito and a cold beer, but there’s just too many miles in between.
Yeah. That is kind of what I have decided. I’m going to try getting the little slide pin unstuck (may end up pulling the pump top) and then running it hard to try and clean any gunk that may be in there out. If that doesn’t work and I don’t see much or any gunk in there while I possibly have the top off then I’ll probably assume that the pump is worn out and start saving for a new one. WVO is hard on these pumps. I’ll never buy another truck that I know was ran on it. Too much headache.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I think the guys here would love to see some of the progress that happened in the shop now that the dust is starting to settle from Wrench Week.
I tried to remember to snap some pictures of things.
PM me your E-mail and I will send you out some pictures and you can pick what you like to post.
THANKS MAN!
Oliver's Pics

Old 03-31-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
OK that worked...Oliver I want those wheels and tires....

how many 12 valves do you count?

Old 04-01-2018, 04:51 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Yea I like those wheels and tires too. What size tire is that? And how much lift?
mknittle (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks Dave!

I will check on the tire size. I got them second hand for some work I did. I needed to use them on something, so Poncho "volunteered". They are roughly 35X13s IIRC.

I know the rims are 18 inches. They are a little on the bling side but have some of the old 8 bullet hole mag flavor from years ago. It kinda offsets the rest of the truck that has a otherwise work truck look to it.

The lift is a re used, old Rancho 4 inch gasser 3/4 ton leaf pack that I had left over from the pile of parts that was the Gauntlet RC build.
I netted 2 3/4 inches of lift on the front end from the lift package, not including any height gained from the bigger tires.

I used Jungle's [from over on RCC ] grease-able shackle bolts on the front springs as well. I finished it up with some Pro Comp ES shocks in the front. The front ran smoother last summer, but the rear end was hella stiff still.

I tried to fix that this winter with the drop hanger and shackle flip we just installed under it.
mknittle (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:25 PM

I checked and the tire size on Poncho is 325/65R18 BFG A/Ts
Old 04-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been absent for a couple years now.... but for a good reason!! Finally got my old girl painted and am in the process of putting it back together! Can't wait!!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-fb_img_1503705772100.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-img_20180326_124040662.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by Dan70:
1STGENFARMBOY (04-02-2018), Diesel_Dawg (04-01-2018), edwinsmith (04-01-2018), mknittle (04-01-2018), MoPowa (04-01-2018), NJTman (04-02-2018), nonrev (04-01-2018), thrashingcows (04-01-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan70
I've been absent for a couple years now.... but for a good reason!! Finally got my old girl painted and am in the process of putting it back together! Can't wait!!!
Truck’s looking beautiful. Great color combo!
The following 2 users liked this post by 73CrewCab:
Dan70 (04-01-2018), mknittle (04-03-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?