1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The lamps are all the same color, not sure why they appear different on the camera.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's the Glare is all they all way's do that . Look's Good thou .
Old 10-24-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
Installed the steering box frame brace early this morning - bottom most bolt wouldn't budge till coffee made me realize I had forgotten it was a splined bolt like a wheel stud. Gorilla torqued the bolts, sorry no pics, laying on my back under a greasy b$tch is what I do without a camera.

Then I installed some DRW tailgate running lamps, hoping to better my lowly SRW truck.

Used thrashingcows spacing photograph...

Fished a single 16ga wire, and spliced the bulb leads into 5 individual loops, soldered, taped, etc. etc.

Ran the now loomed wire with an inline weatherproof quick disconnect under & into the tail lamp housing, and done.

Then, since I was still not in the same category as a blue blooded LE truck, I decided to add a cargo lamp to my poor cousin wannabe SE.

A few minutes with a cutting wheel...

Even SE trucks came with the cargo lamp switch & wires in the harness; imagine that!

j.fonder doesn't even realize I stole his freshly painted steering brace & an LE cargo lamp from his workbench

Finally -

Looks good ofelas. You mentioned running wire under and into tailamp housing. How did you connect the perm. end of the wire to the existing taillamp wire? I assume you then ran a pigtail out for the weatherproof quick disconnect.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Thx; yes, stripped an inch of the black/yellow wire and spliced/soldered/taped in the wire from the QD.
Don't own/use scotch locks :-)
I put the QD weather pack just inside the housing so I don't have to unscrew the lens when I remove the tailgate.
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Looks good ofelas. You mentioned running wire under and into tailamp housing. How did you connect the perm. end of the wire to the existing taillamp wire? I assume you then ran a pigtail out for the weatherproof quick disconnect.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Lookin good
Old 10-24-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Today, I replaced all of the wiper bushings. Installed, and then went to put the wipers on..... put the driver post on passenger side, passenger post on driver side.

Currently, no wipers on the blue truck. Will have to take apart, and reinstall tomorrow.

Wipers look good though, put a nice coat of flat black on the wiper arms.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bmouser
Today, I replaced all of the wiper bushings. Installed, and then went to put the wipers on..... put the driver post on passenger side, passenger post on driver side.

Currently, no wipers on the blue truck. Will have to take apart, and reinstall tomorrow.

Wipers look good though, put a nice coat of flat black on the wiper arms.
LOL,
I did that, could not figure out why I was wiping my drivers side window.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
LOL,
Note to self.....

When servicing my wipers, I will utilize my Brother P-touch to ensure I replace them as removed...

Thanks guys !

Old 10-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
LOL,
I am just glad I am not the only one.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Note to self.....

When servicing my wipers, I will utilize my Brother P-touch to ensure I replace them as removed...

Thanks guys !

This it why I keep some black and some silver sharpies around
Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 PM

Wiper bushings replaced, posts the right spot, and new bosch wipers sitting about an inch off the seal.

Helpful hints:
When you go to remove the mechanism, just pop of the bushing connected to the motor.
Undo the bolts for the posts and push the posts thru.
Slide everything to the passenger side, and pull out from passenger side. There is more room.
Note the direction of the bushings to put them back in the same way.
Used a C-clamp and large socket as a press to put in bushings.
Used C-clamp to press bushings onto posts. Except motor bushing, channel locks.

Sorry no pics, was to focused on getting it right this time.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Spent all of today attempting to install new drums and shoes, both raybestos. Swap out of old shoes to new went well, hub to drums and re set the wheel studs went well, seal installs, etc., etc, till it came time to slip the drums onto the shoes. Both sides a very snug fit, and both sides had the stars wheel adjusters pulled all the way in as far as it could go, and still a snug fit. Once I got them on, trying to spin the drums was doable, but labor intensive. By advice of T man, I withdrew the e- brake cable, which helped some. So it felt like it helped, so I thought I'd go for a 5 mile jaunt round the neighborhood, and ease these brakes in, but still gave it a couple of hard and quick stops. When I get home, the drums are at 200 degrees!!! Guess I'm gonna have to tear into them again and see where I went wrong
Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Spent all of today attempting to install new drums and shoes, both raybestos. Swap out of old shoes to new went well, hub to drums and re set the wheel studs went well, seal installs, etc., etc, till it came time to slip the drums onto the shoes. Both sides a very snug fit, and both sides had the stars wheel adjusters pulled all the way in as far as it could go, and still a snug fit. Once I got them on, trying to spin the drums was doable, but labor intensive. By advice of T man, I withdrew the e- brake cable, which helped some. So it felt like it helped, so I thought I'd go for a 5 mile jaunt round the neighborhood, and ease these brakes in, but still gave it a couple of hard and quick stops. When I get home, the drums are at 200 degrees!!! Guess I'm gonna have to tear into them again and see where I went wrong
These trucks have the biggest PITA brakes of anything I have ever seen.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
put one of these in the corner of my windshield. my grandfather owned a mechanic shop and wrecking yard. I have a stack of these things that my dad found and mailed to me. I used to love walking through the yard when I was a kid, more 60s impalas than you could count! his wrecker was a 1948 dodge with a homemade hoist setup on the back for towing cars. dad still has the truck, he wants to do a very rough "restore" on it with a 6bt. my grandpa didn't have "nice" things, so we kind of decided a full on restoration just wouldn't be right.

these are ~30 years old
Name:  20150921_144729_zpse3blxs1k.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  622.6 KB
Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
With all new shoes and drums it should just clear with the star wheels fully retracted. If it doesn't, it's usually the e-brake levers expanding the shoes.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?