1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I didn't do anything to it today And probably won't tomorrow. But Monday is another story I have a ton of work to do on my rearend swap.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Backup Camera rear facing video

Today I was finally able to install my backup /rear facing video camera system in my truck that I got for my birthday last year, now I have to install the side camera, inside camera and the DVR to have the system finished.

These pictures really do not do any justice, the images are crystal clear in almost total darkness.

The camera is housed in a heavy weatherproof housing with 18 IR emitters, the same kind as used on ambulances

Name:  IMG_4959_zpsbaac3b0a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  41.0 KB

One more side camera will cover the right side of the truck and eventually one facing forward inside the cab.

Name:  IMG_4963_zps5e8da0dc.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  47.8 KB

The multiplexer unit is tucked up above the glove box and secured to the defroster vent.

Jim
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
WOW !

Those photos are amazing.

Can I ask what brand camera, and how much it cost ?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Bought 3 more first gen's just grabbed a 92 with a Bad injection pump so they claim I'm thinking it's the Fuel shut off went out but we will soon see.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today i put in a new severe duty four seasons fan clutch and replaced my worn door pins and bushings with new doorman ones, i still have to make a shim for the lower hinge on the passenger door because it gets in a scuffle with the fender 😡

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 PM

I had read how good this brake lube was, so I decided to put it on the calipers I installed a week or two ago.

Seemed as though within a few weeks the "never seize" I used on the calipers didn't last much at all. Although it was still there, it wasn't much to speak of.

Lets see how long this "ceramic lube" works for.

Name:  0622141059_zpsdff6acd0.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  0622141108a_zpsdd027b7b.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  100.3 KB
Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I had read how good this brake lube was, so I decided to put it on the calipers I installed a week or two ago.

Seemed as though within a few weeks the "never seize" I used on the calipers didn't last much at all. Although it was still there, it wasn't much to speak of.

The Never Seize of late seems to be seize later. I have had problems with it for a couple years now.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
WOW !

Those photos are amazing.

Can I ask what brand camera, and how much it cost ?
Thank You Mr. NJTman,

The images are sharper that the ones in my daughter in laws new Infinity.
My wife bought it for me for my birthday, she said she ordered it from Cosco.

The system is from Rear View Safety http://www.rearviewsafety.com/ and are by far the best I have seem on the market so far, I told her I was looking for that was commercial quality, Heavy Duty and worthy of being on my truck.

I think she paid a little over $400.00 for the system.
Whenever I saw one on a delivery truck or emergency vehicle I would look to see what kind they had.

This is the system.
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...d-back-up.html

Unlike a lot of cheaper systems this one has a separate multiplex unit that accepts all of the video inputs and does the actual switching of the signals.

I have to see where I can mount the camera on the passenger side where it will not be noticeable and where I can see the entire side of the truck, the inside comes will be later on when I install the DVR.

For now I will use a spare 4 channel DVR I have but I want a DVR that records to a compact flash card because the truck rides so rough.

Jim
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM

Just something to think about as it is only an opinion and we all know what they say about those... anyway I always leave mine dry as I get into a little dirt and grime and the dirt tends to stick to whatever kind of lube is on there. it seems to fall off or wash off with road spray versus sticking on there
Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM

I've left them dry in the past, but then had issues with the caliper not moving, wearing out the outer pad prematurely.

I guess we'll have to see how this works.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I have to see where I can mount the camera on the passenger side where it will not be noticeable and where I can see the entire side of the truck, the inside comes will be later on when I install the DVR.

For now I will use a spare 4 channel DVR I have but I want a DVR that records to a compact flash card because the truck rides so rough.

Jim
Nice setup. I believe when I get a few extra bucks together, I'll be doing that one on my ride.

For mounting it on the side, a custom bumper which extended past both fenders would allow you to accommodate the cameras on both sides, or just the passenger. Unfortunately, this would force you to build / buy a big hunking steel bumper to add to the front of the truck, replacing the stocker.

At least on my truck, my running boards would allow placement of the cameras for optimum view, if I put them behind the front mud flaps.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-camera-spot.jpg  
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Slapped a 2.5 lift on front new rotors and pads.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-wht-elephant.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM

Yesterday was the annual pilgrimage to the stink of my rear end...

No, no proctologist appointment, but a simpler visit...

New gear oil and additive changed yesterday. I let it sit overnight to maximize the amount of junk taken out. The truck always seems to feel different after working on it. Must be in my mind...
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0623140925.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by extreme steel
Slapped a 2.5 lift on front new rotors and pads.
Looks pretty good picture's kinda small though
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Looks pretty good picture's kinda small though
Ya think ?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?